Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

At the top of collins st store they had the blue in a 40 and 42 for $599. There was also a blue windowpane in one of those 2 sizes for $399. The blue blazer for $199 was extremely tempting also.

Picked up said windowpane in a 40R
    [​IMG]

2. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I'm 6'3" and 100kg. At one point in my life I was the same height and 63kg. I'd like to be halfway between those 2 points. No idea what jacket size that would leave me with.

I hear you Jimbosaurus. I have been restricting my purchasing to the occasional accessory while on my major down-sizing. Sales come and sales go - and then they come again.

3. Doug11

Doug11 Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers are having a online shirt sale 26/27 good value considering its only $103 Oz for two plus postage
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/men.pr...&rid=308068224

Are all of their cotton shirts good ? even the iron free range ?

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

[​IMG] Turned up to Herringbone. Ran out of my size in suits that I want. Discovered they fit mighty awwwwesome. Are ALL ties at Herringbone $70?

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Sarcasm? Last time I had a look at their shipping it was something like a minimum of $40...

The shipping is a pain with BB but it worked out to $153 Oz for two OCBD shirts one pink one French Blue. Still cheaper than buying anything of compatible quality here.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Are all of their cotton shirts good ? even the iron free range ?

A couple of guys I know in the states have them in their wardrobes along with CT, H&K amongst others they do a slim slim fit if its any help and the sizes are posted on site.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

WE may need a what did you buy at the Herringbone sale thread soon....

For more things added for sale (some Herringbone too), click on the sig for details.

8. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

I'm 6'3" and 100kg. At one point in my life I was the same height and 63kg. I'd like to be halfway between those 2 points. No idea what jacket size that would leave me with.

Go for 85kg mate. Just don't crash diet, it's terrible for your metabolism and your motivation won't last. 63kg is underweight for sure.

9. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I just left my scarf on the train tonight [​IMG] The cashmere scarves at Herringbone for $100 look might attractive now...especially the fuschia one.

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Frustrating isn't it? I left a pure cashmere scarf in the movies a few weeks ago. Of course it wasn't handed in!

11. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I just left my scarf on the train tonight [​IMG]

The cashmere scarves at Herringbone for $100 look might attractive now...especially the fuschia one.

Picked up a sky blue one. The scarves are good value at $100. Go for it!

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I picked up a couple of nice scarves at the movies and on the train recently. One was cashmere.

13. jessis

jessis Senior member

The shipping is a pain with BB but it worked out to $153 Oz for two OCBD shirts one pink one French Blue. Still cheaper than buying anything of compatible quality here.
    If they fit then it is good value.

14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Jimbosaurus, if I may offer some unsolicited information from personal experience. I recently trimmed down considerably and am continuing to do this. I follow James Duigan's Clean and Lean Diet (http://www.bookdepository.com/Clean-.../9781906868383) for the most part, and go to group training at the gym 3 times a week. Both of these take a straightforward and sensible approach to health and fitness, and are, for the most part, quite enjoyable.

My partner and I have both had good, steady results since the start of the year after a couple of years of being stuck at the wrong weight and not really having any success shaking it. I am usually quite spectical of diets or fads but James Duigan's Clean and Lean Diet just details what is in the food we eat, and offers sensible advice and a diet based on normal, fresh food in decent amounts and portions. It is not trying to sell any further products or regimes. It worked for us and was well worth the $20 for the book.

I will stop selling it now, just offering my experience, I know different things work for different people.

I too am trying not to buy new items until a few more months of trimming down, and also follow P of P's idea of "No Purchase May" (and maybe June, July and so on). I am at a stage where I would rather buy a few very quality items rather than many pretty good ones. Though I now have a issue that fellow Australia based SFers may be able to assist. I have plenty of very nice clothes that are now too big for me - suits, shirts, jeans, coats etc. I do not want to give up wearing all of these nice items and cannot afford to replace the majority of my wardrobe in one hit.

What items are able to be taken in at reasonable cost for good results? Suits, trousers and sportscoats seem to be obvious, but what about shirts, jeans, casual trousers? Anyone have any experience or ideas?

I am Melbourne based and like to use Katrinas when possible but it is out of the way of my work and would require a planned trip in on the tram (I am on my bicycle as much as possible for health and enjoyment reasons). I do not want to take a whole lot of things in to find out there is no way they could be dealt with. Also do you think there would be a discounts for getting a bulk load of clothes altered?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Thanks for the information, Pink Socks, I do appreciate it. I'm taking my weightloss quite seriously as I have some health complications as a result of the lack of fitness and all the extra weight I'm carrying. Fortunately my eating habits were very easy to diagnose : a bacon and egg sandwich every morning for breakfast is bad, chinese or indian takeaway every day for lunch is bad, a beer or 2 every night is bad. I've also hired a personal trainer for 2 months to get me on track as I honestly had no idea how to even use gym equipment or push myself in a workoutsession. Regardless of this though I've saved your advice for further reference if I become unsatisfied with my progress.

Unrelated, I couldn't resist the purple cashmere scarf and just popped out to grab one. I also picked up some shoes that I had in getting a Topy'd at Rekaris. $35 for the pair and the quality looks good. A difference between this one and my results from Alexanders in Fitzroy is that Rekaris has used 3 nails at the front of the shoe, Alexanders didn't do this. I don't know this will affect the way they wear but I'll keep an eye on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.