• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf - side adjusters are about 50 times better than belt loops.

Conservative estimate.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. My first PJ suit was my first outing with side tabs and the almost instant reaction from people was "where's your belt?". I still do find it a little strange wearing a suit but no belt.

kayhill

Reaction score
have been contemplating purchasing that brown mj bale suit with their 25% off thing but I just can't do side adjusters - need my belt loops, ah sweet loops that hold ye belt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer

I don't know. My first PJ suit was my first outing with side tabs and the almost instant reaction from people was "where's your belt?". I still do find it a little strange wearing a suit but no belt.

My mantra is, 'once you go side adjusters you don't go back'.

Saves you money, saves you time, you can wear any shoe colour (that matches your pants/suit). Personally, I'm a fan. :p

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Why do you need a belt? Don't your pants fit?"

I get all my pants made with Daks(button) Adjusters. I much prefer it to the side tab. All my pants have it now, and when I get shorts made up for summer, they'll have it too. Denim is the only thing that should have belt loops.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belt or side adjuster or braces - just personal preference . I have only 2 pairs with side adjusters. Not a big fan - I prefer a nice leather belt. It just breaks the outfit a bit.
On a another note received and altered my new Mabitex sartorial grey trousers. Just amazing - awesome soft fabric and there are pick stitching every where including all along side seam and also on belt loops. Will post details pics tomorrow.

Mifune

Reaction score
Popped a cherry in an op shop today - found a Borrelli suit, which I think I can alter to fit me - will consult with Sam. Found a Charvet tie in the remainder bin too!

Is this a black and white Borrelli suit? Also, what did you do with all your Isaia suits and Brioni shirts?

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Why do you need a belt? Don't your pants fit?"

I get all my pants made with Daks(button) Adjusters. I much prefer it to the side tab. All my pants have it now, and when I get shorts made up for summer, they'll have it too. Denim is the only thing that should have belt loops.

Chinos too. That way you can wear them with a tshirt/people mistake them for moleskins.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re the great trouser holder upper preferences, so far its belts, side adjusters /tabs, or Daks with buttons, or a combo daks with elastic. I have seen ones a sort of modified daks with elastic and a metal fold over clamp, like ones on watch bands. Never worn those though. I've been thinking of a self belt, of same material as suit/trousers. Anybody here done that?

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As my old mate Henry Fonda would say:

How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants.

CoffeeDudeGuy

Reaction score
I have a bottle of that stuff - not sure of it's the same cask that one the award, but it's a bloody good drop. Patrick the owner/distiller is a lovely guy too really happy for him. Hopefully it gives the industry down there another boost, though a big part of their strength is the craft nature of the operations, in contrast to Scotland, and that's what makes every cask unique.

Hopefully the price doesn't go up by too much for the next batch, would be nice to give that a try. Otherwise might be cheaper to take the Spirit of Tasmania and do a cellar door run.

CoffeeDudeGuy

Reaction score
I've been thinking of a self belt, of same material as suit/trousers. Anybody here done that?

If it goes along the front or back, I imagine there would be quite a bit of bunching up of material? In my head, I'm thinking of the half belts on the back of some coats.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it goes along the front or back, I imagine there would be quite a bit of bunching up of material? In my head, I'm thinking of the half belts on the back of some coats.
no I mean a proper belt, just made out of the same batch of material. With a covered buckle too. Very common on women's stuff. I've pictures around somewhere of it on men's. Looks good and solves the unbroken line problem. And enables belt loops to be used for the more common leather / suede / woven material belts for a chance.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re the great trouser holder upper preferences, so far its belts, side adjusters /tabs, or Daks with buttons, or a combo daks with elastic. I have seen ones a sort of modified daks with elastic and a metal fold over clamp, like ones on watch bands. Never worn those though. I've been thinking of a self belt, of same material as suit/trousers. Anybody here done that?

I saw it at Caid and it looked really good. If I recall, the buckle was to the side rather than in the centre and it looked very unobtrusive.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hopefully the price doesn't go up by too much for the next batch, would be nice to give that a try. Otherwise might be cheaper to take the Spirit of Tasmania and do a cellar door run.
Dan Murphy's stocks it. Actually it's cheaper there than at the factory!

I would prefer side adjusters personally - aesthetically nicer and easier to mix with different coloured shoes. 
Not an issue as RMW make belts in the same leathers as their boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads