1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bromeo

Bromeo Member

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice getting some new suits in the coming months - just graduating from uni and starting work (moving from Perth to Melbourne - so looking forward to some better suiting options). Been browsing around these forums and hopefully got some idea of what's on the market ...

Current wardrobe is not great, all fused still and not perfectly fitted - I tend to be a bit out of proportion for RTW suits, which is a bit of a problem. I'm 168cm, 70kg, bodybuilder physique, extreme waist drop.

So far got a Charcoal Studio Italia (First suit and cheap!), a Brown Sticchi Uomo and a Navy herringbone (although it's starting to bubble) and Mostly TM Lewin shirts - which I quite like, fit is pretty good, although could use a bit of taking in around the waist for me.

My main problem is I tend to be a bit too wide and arms a bit too big to fit into most RTW suits. My current suits now are definitely a bit tight around the shoulders/arms/lats - not totally unacceptable, and not terribly uncomfortable, but I know it could be better.

I'm looking to get a nice collection of 3 more suits before starting work in February in Melbourne (and hopefully phase most of my present wardrobe out ..)
    I've still not got the biggest budget, but I'm hoping to take a step up in quality/fit this time around. Considering going down the offshore MTM route. I'd ideally like something at least half canvassed, but budget is <$1000 per suit - less is better if at all possible! Not ideal, but fused is not a big deal to me - I'm no suit connoisseur (Maybe in a few years when I can afford it!)
    I know alot of you would recommend sticking to quality RTW at my price level - and I'm still tossing up between the options - but I've yet to find a RTW suit that fits my build!

So far I've been considering these MTM Options:
    George and King - Half Canvassed Suits $600-700
    Suitshop.com.au - from $750.00 - seen some decent reviews for these guys on these forums?
    MJ Bale MTM Service - From $995.00

Also planning to pop into some stores and browse .. maybe will find something I can fit into!
    Always been a fan of MJ Bale (2 for $1000 or $1500)
    Rhodes & Beckett - Currently having some great sales with a few <$500 each
    TM Lewin Suits

Would appreciate any thoughts/opinions :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Based on the description of your physique I'd probably just go with mtm via suit shop or Oscar hunt. Both know what they are doing and both produce a quality product. Price will end up being around the $900 mark but we'll worth it IMO.

3. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Another day, another 'should I get Suitshop/OH/MJ etc...' post.

Can't we have one standard reply for this that we can churn out as a default? Pro's and con's of each or something?

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Whatever happened to our wiki?

And I'm looking for any places in melbourne that stock cheap shoe laces in non standard colours ie not black, white and brown.

Looking for both flat and round waxed laces.

5. Thanasi

Thanasi Well-Known Member

What type of pockets did you get?

6. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Oli puhlease post pics

7. genes888

genes888 Member

Thanks for that link. I've actually read that before & it gives some good insight into suiting choices here in Oz.

However, its a bit dated now and needs updates to include new suppliers. Especially custom tailors and Oz based online retailers.

Hence why I asked about feedback from guys who have bought from Suitshop, Institchu or Montagio in Sydney.

Thanks again in advance for any feedback!

8. genes888

genes888 Member

Thanks for that! Hopefully soon and somewhere in the CBD!

Tried to call them to ask, but they're closed on Mondays! [​IMG]

9. DartagnanRed

Agreed it's a bit dated but pretty sure it says to ignore most guys like institchu. It's simply not the same quality product, same experience level of fitting, same classic fit/styling that appeals to most on SF as PJ/SS/OH. There is a reason I have never seen someone post on this forum a suit from Institchu. A quick look at "Montagio's" website confirms the same.

And who are the Oz based online retailers?

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Patch.

I'll get my mum onto it.

11. Bromeo

Bromeo Member

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

They will open in the Strand.

13. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Ed et al trunkshow is a go.

[​IMG]

I'm helping to put together a guest list.

Their new website is also up if you want to peep their new RTW collection, their lasts, and leathers -- http://edetal.sg/
    They'll be taking bespoke and MTO orders. Their RTW collection will also be available.

As part of the trunk show, they're running this promotion/discount: 20% off 1 pair, 25% off 2 pairs and 30% off 3 pairs and beyond in a single receipt.

Every MTO order will come with a free custom belt.

PM me if you're keen and/or need more details!

14. genes888

genes888 Member

thanks for the reply! Ok, I see where you are coming from.

I actually had a 'having a look' appointment with both Institchu & Montagio recently to determine what they had to offer and pricing. I chose them based on Google feedback ratings & referrals from some mates.
    Both stores are quite similar in what they offer and also in pricing.
    I looked at an italian wool super 130s houndstooth pattern suit with working buttons, stitching and customised jacket lining. Got quoted around the $900 - $1100 mark for a 2-piece custom tailored suit.

Am still deciding which store to go for. Would love some feedback on Aus-based SF members who have purchased from them before.

regarding online retailers in Oz, there are heaps! haha....
    The most popular ones seem to be George & King, thesuitfactory, Chokman, suitmeup, tailorsmark & Germanicos.
    not sure who is good, they all seem to mostly do made-to-measure with some offering on-site visits.

cheers

15. genes888

genes888 Member

excellent!! thanks for the update!

16. DartagnanRed

Ok so in reply to this, I would not go to either of those stores, nor would even consider any of those online retailers.

If you are after affordable MTM in Australia I would choose between Oscar Hunt, SuitShop, Herman Brothers or Deerstyle. The others do not come close to these in terms of quality, fitting expertise or styling.

You may still be happy with the outcome and your mates may have been happy with theirs, but you won't find people on this forum recommending many other places due to the reasons I've mentioned. Indeed I would recommend off the rack suiting before those operators as at least you can have confidence about the quality of the product and the way it will fit.

2 people like this.
  17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Interesting Anderw McDonald is in the same arcade wonder how that will affect his business also Suit Shop in Strand. Convergence of convenience.

18. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Not p.johnson?

19. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

The customs strike is killing my #menswear style. Had two things stuck for a week now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.