1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genes888

genes888 Member

Is Suitshop better than Montagio or Institchu? They are all located within 500m of each other in the Sydney CBD, but have no idea which is the better choice!! Thanks

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

May I just say, go Dees? (I don’t get to say it very often).

1 person likes this.
  3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I'm a fan but not diehard enough to get up and watch it at 1am after nebulous Bundy & Black Death with a mate. Do remember the Highlands V Chief's game.

Watched the Brumbies replay this afternoon think Henry Speight could be shit over a carless tackle.

Saturday night will be big, two games of Kiwis V Oz. I can live with the Tah's winning if the Brumbies fail to make it through, mind you Mrs GF is a Tah's fan.

4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

+1

Would love to see them win a flag in my life time but just an appearance in the Grand final would be a nice change of pace.

1 person likes this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the only place that sells Aldens in the whole of Australia is Double Monk in Melbourne, and they only started carrying them recently.

Also, if looking to order from overseas, be aware that quite a few websites won't ship Aldens outside the US as Alden doesn't let them.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    2 people like this.
  6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Carlton and Melbourne winning in the same round you would have got good odds in that.

1 person likes this.
  7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

(1) Navy blazer - B grade fabric, half lined, half canvassed, MOP buttons $625

(2) Light grey odd jacket - B grade fabric (linen/wool blend), fully lined, half canvassed, MOP buttons $675

Very differently. Closer, less boxy fit.

1 person likes this.
  8. genes888

genes888 Member

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

I'll have to give em a call to find out. If you are right and the price is reasonable, a trip to Melbourne will be on the cards next month! haha...

Yeah, I've tried to place an order for a pair of Aldens Indy boots thru a few stores from the US thru Shopstyle, but none were able to ship outside of US! darn it....

There is a place from the UK called Browns, it looks like they ship worldwide, but the prices are extravagant! almost double the price of the US price for the same shoes!!!

9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ Double monk are opening a store in Sydney soon. Not sure exactly when though.

1 person likes this.
  10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Sorta not exactly slightly not true.

There is a Red Wing store in Richmond. I *think* you can get RW by Alden boots there.

11. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Bowmore and the Greg Kihn Band.

Happy Sunday.

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

Of all the teams to lose to, losing to the Dees is deep shame for us cats fans. And at Kardinia park no less

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Country and western boots company down the Swan St end of Burnley St has redwing and used o to have a good range of other boots. I haven't been in there for a while so not sure what they have now.

Not all that far away but really just around the corner from church Street is a family friends great cafe,. Quirky good and cheap. Strange name nice pekple
    Iris & The Secret Squirrel

https://lilyanoukeatfood.wordpress.com/2014/11/02/iris-and-the-secret-squirrel-melbourne/

14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I know. Well good on them at least.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Actually the boot shop is the same one CD is talking about.

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

If you're after a Redwing style boot I would get a pair of RM Williams Riggers in vesta. They're a very nice boot.

1 person likes this.
  17. MrGethen

MrGethen Member

Long time lurker, not quite sure where to ask this so please excuse me if I'm lost.

Warmly welcoming some fit advice - I'm trying to adjust and tweak some measurements on an existing template. See pics below.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Both suits are cut from the same measurements, and excluding fabric/design differences fit generally the same. Beige wool/linen piece is unstructured, unlined and softly padded. Charcoal number is fully lined/canvassed. Now, my concerns:

1. Jacket length needs an extra 2cm or so.
    2. The 'skirt' of the jacket flares out a bit. Unsure that if I drop the length for future pieces it will fix it, or if it's just my ghetto butt making it flare out down there. To me it looks like theres a little more fabric than necessary, perhaps needs to come in 2cm or so through the seat side seams?
    3. I'm slightly bow legged, which causes me all sorts of shit. Creasing through the front of the shins - what does one do?
    4. Low in the trouser seat is a little too fitted. Needs a good few cm's or so to lose the reverse camel toe happening there.

Please let me know your thoughts, any criticism appreciated. Don't be gentle.

/ E

18. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Sorry mate, Im away, can post pictures tomorrow night. it runs large.

19. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

1. Agree on jacket length, maybe more than 2cm - more like 4 for me?
    2. This is because your suits are too tight in the waist IMO, especially the DB. I would let them out a fair bit there. The top one especially looks uncomfortable.
    3. Don't know. Where are these suits from? I suggest you'd need a good bespoke or at least MTM in person tailor to resolve that.
    4. yup

20. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

:)Some of my observations

A skosh tight, so think about making things a bit roomier all over to achieve some uniformity in the changes you want to make. There is no point in making one change without considering the consequences.

For example, if you lengthen the coat, you will have to bring down the buttoning position. The coat is cut short, as is the trend, and the buttoning position is located in accordance with this. The tightness of fit is also a product of this same 'look'.

The flaring in the skirt could be cut, tightness or a combination of both. If you loosen the waist there will be less of a visual 'kick' at the end of the coat. Also, if you have the opportunity, ask for the skirt to be cupped. This is a technique where the bottom of the coat curves to mimic the body's contour without clinging to it. No coat is meant to stick to the trousers like glue without interruption, unless, of course, you have something much too tight.

The fork on the second pair of trousers is a trifle messy and may be cleaned up by lowering and fixing the crotch point. The trousers are too tight in the seat and calves. The cuff is also sitting towards the outside of your ankles because of your legs. Without having a pattern heavily adjusted to compensate for your legs (notice, too, your right trouser leg sits differently from the left), I would suggest making the fit a little looser and in line with changes made to the top half, as this may be a cheaper fix to the problems here and complement anything done to the top by way of 'roominess'.

Don't forget, adding a bit here and there won't ruin the look. Your suit fits rather well and is already plenty slim. You will not end up with a zoot suit by adding to some of your measures.

Best
    A

PS Did you ask for the front of your double breasted coat to be finished like a single breasted? Ordinarily you will have a square, not rounded, skirt, and flap pockets are cut to match (square with square, etc.) See my attachment for an example of what I mean about pockets.[ATTACHMENT=11285]ASPocketFlaps (378k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.