• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More fun than a bunch of pristine wooden ones that all look the same.

Speaking of fun, do you ever put mis-matched shoe trees into a pair of shoes, just for the fun of it?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of fun, do you ever put mis-matched shoe trees into a pair of shoes, just for the fun of it?

Yup - I'm just a wild and crazy guy in my bachelor pad. Swapping shoe trees around, using burgundy polish on brown shoes, - hell - sometimes I stay up past 9pm! and put a spoonful of icecream in my hot Milo. No body tells this dude how to live.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can tell you one thing that is disconcerting - putting hard orthotics in the wrong shoe - L/R - if its a rushed morning and you take off it can feel weird as hell with knowing what it is until after the second strong machiatto. I have spoken to others who use orthotics and its more common than you might think.

Cavarra

Reaction score
I dropped in for a peek last week, but not sure if I went to the right place. I kinda saw some hangers through the window from the street, went up through the Von Haus bar but saw no signs upstairs...
They are yet to have a sign installed!

ruzzi

Reaction score
What do you guys hit up when you visit Hong Kong?

My budget for suits is around ~$1k and all the recommended tailors on the HK tailors thread seem to be in the $1,200+ range with a lot of horror stories. I may as well just stick to suitshop/pjt right?

Armory looks like a good place for accessories so I might budget for a couple ties and a pair of shoes.

Shirts I've tried jantzen and I think theyre terrible.

Is there anything that is actually good value in HK for visiting aussies besides Nikes and the foot massages at Gao's?

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soooo henry bucks is going to be bringing carminas into their stores. Wonder how they will be priced

I make an estimate at around the same price they have Church's for, $699. I believe they're only getting five or six different styles in, which is a bit disappointing, but their range has never been huge. I highly doubt they'll be stocking Cordorvan. I've heard Alden will also be there, but again, I doubt their range will be big. I'd hazard a guess at $999 for calf Indy Boots, if they even stock them.

TimelessMan

Reaction score
A nice surprise from the courier today:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys hit up when you visit Hong Kong?

My budget for suits is around ~$1k and all the recommended tailors on the HK tailors thread seem to be in the $1,200+ range with a lot of horror stories. I may as well just stick to suitshop/pjt right?

Armory looks like a good place for accessories so I might budget for a couple ties and a pair of shoes.

Shirts I've tried jantzen and I think theyre terrible.

Is there anything that is actually good value in HK for visiting aussies besides Nikes and the foot massages at Gao's?
Food is cheap. Lunch at Atelier Joel Robuchon in Central is excellent. Prices during afternoon tea in most yumcha establishments are really good value for money.

Tailoring (whether bespoke or alterations of RTW) is still good value in places outside of SF approved establishments, but you probably need to speak Cantonese.

Armoury is nosebleed expensive, and most things in Armoury you can order online anyway. Tassels might be worth a look as they stock Bontonis, which is much more difficult to buy online.

Stay away from Jantzen. Stay away from any branded establishments eg Canali, LV, Gucci, Dior, Chanel, Paul Smith. Prices are ridiculous, even during sales.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a very weird eclectic collection of around 25 or so accumulated over the years. Old Churches branded shoe trees made of aluminum with hinges, other aluminum ones with those spring things with knobs, plastic ones by the dozen with split spring loaded buts, fancy newish wooden ones in shoe size, old wooden ones, some really elaborate old wooden ones, strange plastic ones with a dial to lengthen etc, all sorts of interesting combinations of how they expand and fit shoe and with dials, levers, threads and different heel bits. Most of them I either got given to me or cost around $2. More fun than a bunch of pristine wooden ones that all look the same.
Plastic and tin shoe trees? Everyone knows only Hanger Project cedar shoe trees absorb moisture sufficiently to allow your shoes to recover. Next you'll be telling us your coathangers are also a ragtag assortment of misfit styles and sizes, or that you own shirts that aren't blue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads