• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
LPS

Rogers Shoe Repairs at 88 Redfern St, Redfern

Or Nicolas Brothers Shoe Repairs 186 King St Newtown

They're both mentioned on the Australian Vogue forum as being very good, as is a place called Coombes Shoe Repairs in the Strand Arcade

I know Rogers used him a lot over the years anyone comment on the others?

Nicolas Bros disappeared over a year ago. Sad as they made bespoke shoes downstairs.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to thin out my shoes and I cant decide what to cut
musicboohoo[1].gif

Picked up a nice pair of linen chinos at the HB factory outlet today for $50.

Presto87

Reaction score
Gents,

Looking to purchase a pair of (preferably brown) loafers in SYD. Any recommendations?! Had no luck thus far unfortunately ...

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87
Gents,

Looking to purchase a pair of (preferably brown) loafers in SYD. Any recommendations?! Had no luck thus far unfortunately ...

Herringbone have the C&J Sydney I believe

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Rhodes and Beckett, any good for the price point?

Just got a 40% off email

Originally Posted by bhall41
Not bad for an Australian retailer, although I prefer Herringbone. With a healthy discount of 40% you could do far worse. I recently purchased a merino wool / cashmere jumper from Rhodes & Beckett which I am quite happy with.

On sale, they used to be quite good value. Fused collars and cuffs with plastic buttons, but nice fabrics. Made in Egypt and I am sure that the "made by hand" is an absolute load of rubbish - although, of course, the sewing machine that made the shirts was operated by someone's hands...

Looking at the website just now, it seems that their prices have increased as I'm sure that their shirts used to be less than $169 each. Have they gone up over the past year or two?

Also - not that it really makes any difference - R&B used to make their shirts in Egypt, and their stores usually have a bit of a backstory of the "history of the brand" (which I also strongly suspect is a load of rubbish) about two gents meeting in Egypt in the 19th century and starting up a shirtmaking operation. A year or so ago, I was having a look at one of their shirts and I noticed that it had a small tag that said "Made in China". I asked the sales assistant about it and he sheepishly admitted that they had switched production to China as they supply chain was more dependable. So much for the supposed history of the brand!

Originally Posted by Presto87
Gents,

As noted above, Herringbone stock some C&J loafers. I'm sure that places like Harrolds would also stock some, but I'm equally sure that they will be horrendously expensive!

__PG__

Reaction score
Rhodes and Beckett was started by the Harrolds Group. Think of it as the Harrolds 'B'-team.

elvish

Reaction score
I think their ties are decent value when on sale.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are the R&B suits? They would be around $500 on sale right?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Rhodes and Beckett was started by the Harrolds Group. Think of it as the Harrolds 'B'-team.
Apart from the flagship store, Harrolds had a couple of smaller shopfronts selling "Harrolds" branded Egyptian made suits and shirts... a few years back these shops were re-branded as "Rhodes and Beckett" and they now have a store in Westfield as well as a concession in Myer.

Never gone much on the stuff for the price - shirts were always around $170 or thereabouts, though at half price they represent reasonable value IMO - particularly if you require a longer length. Still, I wouldn't think they were any better than TM Lewin etc.

Archibald Longfellow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I am sure that the "made by hand" is an absolute load of rubbish - although, of course, the sewing machine that made the shirts was operated by someone's hands...

I don't think using a sewing machine disqualifies you from saying it was handmade. My partner makes clothes using a sewing machine and I'd call them handmade.

I think the point is that it's not mass produced on a factory production line where it's hardly touched by human hands at all

elvish

Reaction score
Did I cross paths with another SF member this morning ~815 in The Strand, Pitt st?

elvish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
^^ What makes you think he was a SF member? Did he ask you to take a photo of him so he could post it on the Internet?
lol8[1].gif

too subtle for me.

He was an older gent with a PS. I don't know many who wear them.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just from the PS alone, I'd more readily believe the gent's a SF member if he's a younger gent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads