Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTA

JTA Senior member

It baffles me why you guys consider bricks and mortar stores which have nothing of quality to offer. Herringbone is okay and, if you like it fine, but at $1200 or something retail compared to Caruso at ehaberdasher for $600 odd, there should be an easy choice. Caruso is 10 times the suit a Herringbone is. You may have to wait and be patient for stock but you can email Mike and ask about what's coming in. Even at sale price Herringbone at $500 is not a good deal compared with the Carusos. Off-shore made to measure will inevitably lead to grief.
    You can buy a Kiton bone linen jacket at ehaber for under $1000 for goodness sake, something that Harrolds would charge $4500 for.
    Once you know what fits you check the buying and selling forum as well. Men's Corner on Ebay has brilliant Stile Latino suits (made by an off-shoot of Attolini) for $899. They are better than Corneliani etc by far.

My understanding on this thread, and may be incorrect, is that people are buying the suit via a real 3D fit and not 2D measurements only.

Online buying experiences can be rather expensive if the person is still in the "trials and errors" phase. Only do online buying if the person understands the fits, measurements and comfortable in purchasing without trying the pieces in the first place.

I do agree with your view though as myself have never bought clothes on retail any more except for several rarities.

2. Sydguy

Sydguy Well-Known Member

Fit is crucial - so I like to try clothes on before I buy them. In the last few months I have sent back a suit from ebay and a pair of shoes, the $ mount up!Often for me the suits have very slim fitting pants.
    What I struggle to understand is how the jacket can fit like a glove whilst the pants are skin tight. It is not my proportions either, as I do not have this trouble with suits here in Oz. I like a fitted trouser but not a slim fit. So to avoid dissappointment and return postage costs I will continue to find places I can try items on.
    Also in Sydney if you are wearing Herringbone and similar you are quite dressy. It is really not hard to dress up a bit here!

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Very true. If you're not a banker, lawyer or CEO, most people don't dress up too much here (a slight exagerration, but you get my drift).

4. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

any of you Aussies do any fishing or diving?

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I fish on occasions, though admittedly not for some time. I have never dived.

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Me too, but I love swimming and a trip to the beach.

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

It baffles me why you guys consider bricks and mortar stores which have nothing of quality to offer. Herringbone is okay and, if you like it fine, but at $1200 or something retail compared to Caruso at ehaberdasher for $600 odd, there should be an easy choice. Caruso is 10 times the suit a Herringbone is. You may have to wait and be patient for stock but you can email Mike and ask about what's coming in. Even at sale price Herringbone at $500 is not a good deal compared with the Carusos. Off-shore made to measure will inevitably lead to grief. You can buy a Kiton bone linen jacket at ehaber for under $1000 for goodness sake, something that Harrolds would charge $4500 for. Once you know what fits you check the buying and selling forum as well. Men's Corner on Ebay has brilliant Stile Latino suits (made by an off-shoot of Attolini) for $899. They are better than Corneliani etc by far.
    Stupid, stupid 'advice'. You rail against offshore MTM and recommend instead buying RTW blind over the internet? [​IMG]

8. Diavolo

Diavolo Senior member

Stupid, stupid 'advice'.

You rail against offshore MTM and recommend instead buying RTW blind over the internet?

[​IMG]

There's a big difference between an unknown internet MTM service and a standard OTR suit. You could try on a Caruso at Harrolds and then order online. Or check the measurements of your best fitting suit and compare them to ehaberdashers' figures for example. Remember that jackets can almost always be let out or taken in, sleeves and pants waists altered.
    Why is this so hard for you to grasp?
    I have Attolinis, Kitons, Carusos which I've gotten for a tenth of retail. The only stuff I've returned is those where the colour has been off.
    I've also gone that unknown MTM route - even sending a Corneliani to a "reputable" Asian tailor to copy. The results were horrendous.
    You are too dogmatic, you need to ask questions before arriving at a finite conclusion, such as this is "stupid" advice. I've found it extremely valuable.

9. Diavolo

Diavolo Senior member

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

There's a big difference between an unknown internet MTM service and a standard OTR suit. You could try on a Caruso at Harrolds and then order online.

If you have the moxy to waltz into a store like Harrolds, try on a heap of Kiton and Tom Ford stuff and then leave without buying anything, then I tip my hat to you.

You might be able to get away with it once, but considering these places hardly have the foot traffic of Coles you will soon be made as "they try-on-no-buy guy" and treated accordingly.

11. Prince of Paisley

It baffles me why you guys consider bricks and mortar stores...
    Once you know what fits you check the buying and selling forum as well...

I think you just answered your own question.

12. Prince of Paisley

Big thanks for the heads up on the new stock at HBone Clearance store- Thank you Ari!

Yes, thanks AG. This also raises an interesting point - we don't currently have an Australian sales alert thread - perhaps it's time we started one in an attempt to help Aussie members dress better for less and take advantage of the deals on offer?

Any support for an Aussie "Sales Alert!" thread??

13. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

Yes, thanks AG. This also raises an interesting point - we don't currently have an Australian sales alert thread - perhaps it's time we started one in an attempt to help Aussie members dress better for less and take advantage of the deals on offer?

Any support for an Aussie "Sales Alert!" thread??

Make it so [​IMG]

14. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

Can anyone reccomend a city/north shore based tailor who can do the sleeves from the shoulder? And a rough price. I have seen it discussed, but anyone done some recently?
    M&R Tailoring (there is a thread here) has done a few alterations for me in the past. I never had a a sleeve shortening from the shoulder but I had sides taken in all the way to the shoulder and that required sleeve removal. I quite like the outcome. I should post a full review and some before and after pictures when I'm feeling less lazy.

15. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Totally would love it! But our kind (the aussie kind) are very few and far on this forum maybe we could manage in just posting in this thread. Your call!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.