1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

My house, garage, and on top of cupboards, under beds, etc is full of the family stuff - everyone except me is an artist.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The Sharp is one of the Mo Nimrod prints I had the opportunity to get this a couple of years back but Mrs GF thought it was too loud.
    [​IMG]

I've two Mombassa one is an artists print from 1991 and the other a laser print from 2008. There are copies of The Mind and Times of Reg Mombassa in remainder books stores and I have a half dozen of his Mambo loud shirts. Used to see the Mental's live a fair bit back in the day.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  3. YudanGu

YudanGu Active Member

I don't want to mention the name.But 2 trousers take 9 weeks still can not finish,this MTM brand really sucks

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

What is the point of your post?

5. YudanGu

YudanGu Active Member

No point......just want to release......should I tell the name?

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Any suggestions on where I can buy a black, self tie, satin, diamond tip bow tie of good proportions (ie not skinny) at short notice and a reasonable price? Need it by next Friday, so an on-line local source would be fine.

I bought a lovely one from Darcy Clothing, but unfortunately didn't realise that it'd be barathea as opposed to satin (if anyone is interested I could probably sell it at a very good price as opposed to shipping it back).

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Look on the bright side - some people on this forum have paid more than $1000 a pair for bespoke trousers made by Ambrosi in Italy and they've waited well over six months for their trousers!

Seriously, though, it is frustrating when things that you order take a long time to be completed. I'd say that around 4-6 weeks is generally a reasonable time to wait for made-to-order clothing, particularly if the cloth needs to be ordered in for your commission. Any longer than that and it starts to get frustrating.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Like this one :)

http://www.henrycarter.com.au/product/black-satin-silk-batwing-bowtie/

2 people like this.
  9. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Don't want to mention names but some people have waited 2yrs for a simple leather jacket

2 people like this.
  10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Agreed, I think a lot of it comes down to basic communication and expectations setting though.

Over estimating your turn around time is one sure way to annoy new customers and then not communicating with them when it blows out or passes by just makes it worse. We all want our stuff as soon as possible but people are a lot more reasonable and understanding if you actively communicate and give them a reason rather than them chasing you up.

Communication,sounds simple, should be and yet so many businesses get it wrong.

1 person likes this.
  11. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

You sir are a gentleman.

Common knowledge to the whole internet and he still doesn't name names.

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Part of it is not the simple lack of communication (not that there is a shortage of place that cannot even manage that) but also expectation setting. A lot of frustration can arise when the initial communication set overly optimistic expectations. When they are not met, well, trust out the window. Even active communication is pointless when your initial say 5 weeks to delivery is followed up by more weekly updates of more delays after that. Better to just say 10 week delivery from the onset.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Are there rules when you should wear one or the other? Or just a preference thing?

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I'd still have to say it takes a mix and comms is the primary facilitator.

As journey man mentioned maybe they had trouble acquiring or getting in more cloth, so the expectation of 4-5 weeks was solid but then this came up. Customer might not be happy with the delay but probably wouldn't need to vent if they got back to him and explained that before hand.

Let's take luxire as an example. They still to this date generally over estimate the turn around times and yet they have a lot of happy and regular customers. Now granted some of that is because they let you customise and change orders to the nth degree and they do good work but look how quickly frustration builds from customers when they stop replying to emails or stop posting on the boards.

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

From all my research: barathea silk, satin silk and grosgrain are all acceptable facings.

Satin is the "flashiest" due to its shine, then barathea, then grosgrain which is almost matte.

You *should* match your bowtie, cummerbund/vest, strip down side of pants, and buttons and facings to all the same. Not that anyone would really notice I'd think.

So my Oscar Hunt tux has satin facings and buttons, and I have a satin cummerbund, and so I now need a satin bow tie, but accidentally ordered a barathea one.

1 person likes this.
  17. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

sure thing, will do tonight

18. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Makes sense. Cheers.

19. BeClassic

BeClassic Well-Known Member

Selling my Valstarino a1 cotton jacket
    Made in Italy, cotton 98% and elastine 2%