1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

anyone got an online promo code for brooks brothers?

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

ha ha you do mean BB Australia? Don't need one everything appears to be in a state of permanent discount.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Can't blame them. The general public hardly heard of BB and for the ones in the know, they wouldnt go anywhere near the red labels that take up most of their space.

4. SkyChild

SkyChild Member

Has anyone ever had a parcel that they have ordered from overseas disappear before? I ordered some shoes from herring shoes in the UK and DHL said on their tracking website that it was delivered and that I had signed for it (even though I was 1hour away at work) and when I returned home I found no parcel of shoes or any trace of them. I contacted herring who to their credit are trying to find out what happened from their end but is it possible that they were stolen by the courier? Does anyone have any similar experiences?

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Nope - unlikely but possible

i just get all parcels left on the verandah anyway.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Let me know when you order something good.

3 people like this.
  7. fxh

fxh Senior member

You have enough trouble getting shoes sizes right when you order yourself.
    And anyway my trousers get introduced to my shoes - not ankles - and I wear socks.
    Also I don't wear oily old expensive english hunting jackets.

Nothing for you here.

4 people like this.
  8. SkyChild

SkyChild Member

Is it possible that a neighbour has seen it on my stoop (I live in a townhouse/unit) and has taken it in for me? It would be awkward as I don't know my neighbours what with being new to the suburb and all.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  9. blahman

blahman Senior member

1st go into your account and double check your delivery address.

2nd knock on your neighbours' doors. Good opportunity to say hi anyway,

10. SkyChild

SkyChild Member

Well judging from the dogs that snarl at the front door and the rubbish strewn back yard I am somewhat hesitant to knock on the door, but I have messaged DHL and will see that they say. I would have to say though that I saw my neighbour at the letterbox after I arrived home and they didn't say anything to me, which would be odd if they signed for a package meant for me.

11. eightace

eightace Senior member

Not with a courier, but I had a pair of shoes disappear on their way from Melbourne to Sydney. Australia Post.

If anyone sees a postie wearing size 8 burgundy Carmina wholecuts, let me know. And post a pic to r/wtf for good measure.

[​IMG]

12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Spent an hour or so ferreting around in the crawlspace under our living room in the new apartment, running wires to the rear speakers of our home theatre system. It's all done now.

Powering an all Aurum Cantus speaker system from a Yamaha RX-467 home theatre amp. Was pretty awesome in Shanghai, should be just as good if not better in Armadale. Going to rack up "Inception" now.

I'm not a high-end audio fanatic, as that road leads to 200kg speakers and financial ruin. But I do like me a decent sound system.

1 person likes this.
  14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Sorry to hear you live next to PoP, but at least he does know a bit about shoes and unless they are size 12.5 he'll have to sell them here.

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

It is also a road that leads you to achieving the intelligence of a banana.

still funny: http://wathifi.com/

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I know that feeling. When I move out I'll probably get a studio monitor for my computer so I can hear the bass (as opposed to bass) on old Rush tracks.

Need to sort out something so I can listen to Radio National in the shower too.

17. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Well, I used to be a Hi-Fi nut, but really and truly, many things in the Hi End Audio industry are based on contortions and improper application of theory.

Move on to headphones! HD-800's are aural bliss. Very doubtful you'll get a speaker to match their performance.

I'm personally more interested in one of the Yamaha Avantgrand Piano's with the real grand action in them. I don't think Yamaha has brought them to Australia yet.

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Interesting - I hadn't heard of the Avantgrand pianos.

At the end of last term, the orchestra with which my son plays held a concert in a facility with a Stuart & Sons concert grand piano. Holy heck, it was amazing. The hall had great acoustics, which obviously helped things, but the piano sounded phenomenal. Apparently, it cost $250 000.

19. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

"My MP3 must sound good because I bought those $$$ diamond-plated cables coated in angel's tears!"

I just use off cut extension leads for my speaker cables. However, there is something glorious about sound waves coming from a large speaker cone. Nicer 'timbre', or 'feel'.

20. SkyChild

SkyChild Member

Anyone know if it is possible to clean suit trousers without dry-cleaning them? A week eating such things as huo guo (chinese hot-pot) and spaghetti has finally resulted in me getting a drop of sauce/oil on my trousers and I am reluctant to dry clean as it is harsh on the construction of the garment. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.