• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch3r

Reaction score
...And don't nobody suggest a double FIH. Double FIHs are invariably ugly and misshapen, unlike the FIH, which has the graceful lopsided curves of an early Katie Holmes smile.
5"8 here and I don't have this issue with normal length ties. The knot really depends on the tie I like to use FIH, double FIH, reverse double FIH and the pratt based on what tie I'm wearing. Just need to experiment.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a bit of a stereotype, but come to think of it, every girl, and guy I know for that matter that wears doc's bat for the opposite team.

The more things change the more they don't stay the same. Doc's were a status item 'we all belong' in the uber inner city post punk music scene at one stage. 12 hole boots were de rigueur amongst skin head tools. I used to wear them to work in kitchens and in a job I had in mental health because of the nonslip soles, that and they were tax deductible.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more things change the more they don't stay the same. Doc's were a status item 'we all belong' in the uber inner city post punk music scene at one stage. 12 hole boots were de rigueur amongst skin head tools. I used to wear them to work in kitchens and in a job I had in mental health because of the nonslip soles, that and they were tax deductible.

They're pretty popular still today among kids, I see them wear them all time. I wanted a pair of blobby derbies and looked at Doc's, but decided to go with RedWing Postman's. Real tough shoe.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Double FIH for all my Henry Carter ties except for the knits.

Some of them are too narrow in the knot tieing part of the tie to do a single with. Especially on a cutaway collar.

For instance I can't imagine a single FIH in a HC Grenadine (which a lot of us own) would possibly be big enough....

My theory is that the width of your knot on a given tie is dependant on your height, though. The taller you are, the smaller your FIH is going to be, generally, because you are using a thinner part of the tie to tie the knot....?

Hmm dunno I'm 6"2 and I never ever do a DFIH to beef up my knots, which are of course on all of my own ties. But different people tie the same knot different ways end end up with a different result.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now boys behave and I used to date a girl who wore hot pink Doc boots(sigh, nashing of teeth)

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one (or two) I prepared earlier. Both Grenadine with FIH knots.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tie a cross between a double four and a Pratt/Albert knot, at least for silk prints. Around once and through the hole, then twice more and through again. More substantial than a double four, but less asymmetrical, within getting into Windsor territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads