1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Yeah, I think he might be doing that. I'm not sure. I will ask him for more details when we speak again. The draft lasts look very elegant and refined.

He will also be taking MTO orders too.

I'm happy with the construction of the shoes, they're built solid and very commendable leathers are used.

I can't recall what his latest price point is - I guess we'll have to wait for the website to come back online. @hens wanna chime in about your experience with Ed's shoes?

2. jlao

jlao Member

I know this topic may have been exhausted in this thread. I just want to confirm that for mtm you guys would either go with suit shop or p johnson in Sydney? Also, who would you guys recommend for suit alterations in Sydney? Thanks

3. Edwardz

Edwardz Well-Known Member

M&R tailor at York st for alterations

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

It's raining cats 'n' dogs in Sydney right now, with worse predicted to come.

I'm as snug as a bug in a rug, alone up in my 20th floor eyrie, with ABC Digital Jazz on the stereo and a glass of IPA in frunna me. No need to venture out again tonight. I've worked hard for this, and I'm going to enjoy my peace and solitude while the storm rages at my windows.

That said, I feel sorry for all those poor buggers still out on the road, or waiting for buses, or packed into sodden train carriages, or just out in the open getting soaked. Even more so for the unfortunates who have suffered injury or damage as a result of these storms.

My work colleague, who still works part-time in his original plumbing trade, woke this morning to find a huge tree had fallen onto the cab of his parked truck. As he's inspecting the damage, another giant tree crashes to the ground a few metres further down the street.

Stay safe everyone.

3 people like this.
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

There's plenty of others in Sydney beyond those 2. I'm sure the sydney siders can chime in better

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Managed to get home without a boat or scuba gear tonight...

Two thumbs up for Fox brollies. Mine took on the worst of the storm and held up without any damage whatsoever. Every time the winds bent it back, it sprang into shape again. Every single time. Definitely has my vote despite the hefty price tag.

Also gave in to temptation and bought that amazing gray-plaid-with-brown-windowpane-check DB sport jacket on display at Kazuna. Fits like a charm, from the shoulders to the sleeve and overall length. That place is dangerous!

1 person likes this.
  7. SkyChild

SkyChild Member

So I take it people here don't know the difference between the different tiers of MJ Bale suits?

1 person likes this.
  8. hens

hens Active Member

I paid under 300sgd for my two pairs at the time. I think it worked out to around 260 a pair. For the price you get a well constructed, attractive (imo) pair of shoes.

The leather quality of the rtw range is reasonable without being amazing and one of the inner layers in one of my pairs lifted slightly but not enough to bother me whilst the other pair has no faults after significant wear.

Overall it's at the very least on par with the standard line of meermin that I've handled. But I prefer the last and the overall design. If the pricing comes in right, it's a no brainer recommendation.

Note that my experience extends to rtw only, I know that the mto line is are made to a higher standard in house compared to outsourced so construction should be arguably better though I'm not sure that extends to leather choice.

9. Liber

Liber Senior member

Interest check on a black Rhodes and Beckett one button notch lapel tuxedo, never worn. Size 38R/ 32 waist. I would call the cut somewhere in between slim and regular. $300? I'll bust out the DSLR later...

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Maybe Liber.

Don't own a tux and could come in handy.

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Woolovers stuff came, seems well made and nice and thick and warm. Definitely need to size down 1 at least (which I did)

12. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Historically, the grey label (collection suits) were made in Japan and are fully canvassed, have some hand finishing, often come in nicer fabrics and have a nicer soft shoulder. >$1200 and I would argue not worth it unless it fits perfect off the rack.

The white label suits are half canvassed (debatable), made in China and come in a less fine wool. MJ Bale does some of these for 2 for $1000 and some in slightly bolder or nicer wool for $700-800.

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that D-Red's synopsis is pretty much spot on.

I had an ad for MJ Bale pop up in my Facebook feed earlier today and I made the mistake of clicking on it.

MJ Bale do make some good stuff, but they also make some pretty awful stuff, as evidenced by their so-called Savile Row DB suit:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  14. SkyChild

SkyChild Member

I picked up a couple of their suits on sale recently and one is a 'classics' suit and the other a blue label. Because their tags just said 100% wool I was wondering if there was better fabric in the classics (which has working buttons on the cuff and a higher original price).
    So for the price point of the made in Japan MJ Bale suits ($1200) would it be worth while getting one or would I be better served with MTM like suit shop or any recommendations?
    Also how does herringbone compare these days?

15. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Woah! What the deuce is going on there? That's one crazy closed suit!

Definitely not a fan of the high button point, although I do recall seeing some SB suits with a high button point like this in the late nineties. I didn't think it was time for that trend to come around again...

Actually with that pin chalkstripe, all that's really missing is the contrasting collar and cuffs! [​IMG]

16. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Horrible suit...but speaking of high buttoning points, I predict hard 3's will come back in, with only the top button ever being done up, and with a few layers underneath, and people will constantly have a hand in the trouser pocket when photographed wearing them, so the quarters splay open. [​IMG]

17. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

The collection suits on sale at $800 or so were/are pretty good value I think. Nicely finished and we'll cut (at least for me). Some are also half canvassed rather than full - mostly the summer suits. I'd be happy if they brought back some collection grade jackets in a more traditional cut...

18. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

I'd be interested in how they go over time - after wearing and washing etc.

19. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Thanks PoP - I shoulda bought Brownman's leather jacket he had for sale last year : (

I have a grey peacoat but l'm sick of it, need an excuse for a new one
    Trouble is HC most of our trip is in Spain and Italy.... Maybe a wool lined m65?

20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

How is it debatable?

All my stuff is classic label - all plain weave in navy, charcoal and grey. I've noticed the classic and blue label lines are using a poly/viscose lining rather than bemberg. I contacted Drew Hoare who wasn't happy with it either and was discussing it with the design team but so far they're still there.

I wish they'd just use viscose - breathable material without the bemberg price tag. I also hope they continue to run some of their staple suits - the Armidale, Mudgee and Tumut into the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.