1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

@acinod

http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/en/

How about these guys? SF experience seems to rate them on par with Meermin construction wise. Though they actually have stock so you can order and they should ship immediately. Price for non-commissioned work starts abut $290 - Vat + shipping so should be in your budget or at least very close.

I noticed @Journeyman commented a year or so ago that he was looking into picking up a pair so maybe he can weigh in of quality and shipping time.

This one looks pretty sweet imho

http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/en/oxford/60-gedeon-marron-marbre-199.html#/uk_homme-75

or they have some outlet shoes at -30% off which will definitely bring them in your price range.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Does Brooks Brothers have the discount on their shoes? Perhaps just turn up and grab a pair.

3. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

I have a couple of pairs of Septieme and would definitely rate them above my Linea Maestro Meermins, in leather quality and style.
    Construction wise, the Septieme are lighter and more elegant imho.

This is a couple of years ago however.

4. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Great! Now I want a pair ;/

5. acinod

acinod Senior member

Think I'll go with the Loake Strands from Herring. Or these ones from Septieme - http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/en/oxford/56-cernay-noir-206.html#/uk_homme-75. But leaning more towards Loake since I know my size (7 on capital last) unless Septieme are better quality and size is comparable.

Black is the safer option but the Burgundy looks beautiful, though might look a bit odd in my work place where black is the only shoe colour you see.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. wurger

wurger Senior member

Black probably be better for the wedding. After all, she is paying $300.

1 person likes this.
  7. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Whilst I don't know what his wardrobe is like I think that once you have a pair of black oxford captoes the next thing you should look at is a pair of brown oxfords in any combination. Dark brown is almost as formal as black but far more flexible to the point where it can be worn with jeans and an OCBD.

9. wurger

wurger Senior member

if his aunty is insisting on him wearing a pair of new shoes, I would assume she also wants him to wear a pair of black shoes. Yes, brown is more versatile etc etc, but the whole point of him getting a pair of new shoes is for his aunty's wedding as a door opener, not what's the most versatile shoe he can get.

10. acinod

acinod Senior member

I've actually got a pair of Tan Wingtips from Florsheim already: http://fashionshoesonline.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/shoes_520ba748bb4c4.jpg. I tend not to wear these with suits though since I like to save them for dates, parties and other fancy dress events, but they go nice with my navy suit.

Once I get the Loake Strands in Black, I'm planning to rotate them along with my Loake Aldwych. We have casual fridays so I'll only be wearing each shoe twice a week. My next shoe purchase will probably be a dark-brown suede chukka like the Loake Pimlico or a dark-brown full brogue such as the Loake Buckingham. Come to think of it, I might eventually end up with the whole Loake 1880 Capital last collection!

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Glad to see you enjoying this Mr Fox. Here's to your health! Drink up.

1 person likes this.
  12. wurger

wurger Senior member

acinod, another suggesting, Loake Ledbury in Black instead of the Strand, as the Strand in Burgundy is gorgeous.

i would recommend a brown calf Buckingham or Burgandy Strand next, suede can wait for later.

I would also recommend Pediwear, they offer 15% off Loakes at all time after you purchase the first pair.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Don't ever wear oxfords with jeans.

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

Don't ever talk in absolutes.

7 people like this.
  15. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Foxy, listen to wurger.

16. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

I dunno, I'd tread with caution pairing oxfords and jeans. So many better options.

1 person likes this.
  17. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Guys have just put some of the new scarves up, only 2 of each style so don't leave it too long if you like any, there won't be any re-stocks. some spoilered pics below -

http://www.henrycarter.com.au/shop/scarves/

Wool/Silk blends - These are quite lightweight and a good transition phase scarf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Printed silk - Still lightweight but not an open weave like the wool/silk ones. Will keep you warmer and keep the wind out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come later this week including some wool backed printed silks and then some pure cashmere to arrive in about a month's time

18. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Only a Sith deals in absolutes - I will do what I must.

But seriously I used to sport the C&J Clifford (Tan full brogues) with Zegna jeans (slightly more refined fabric) to good effect I believe.

2 people like this.
  19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

It's not like the world will explode because your shoes are closed lace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

If you're not trying to be the best dressed version of you that you can be, then what's the point of being here?

They're open laced in the second photo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.