1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpark

ASpark Well-Known Member

I've read on here as much about the sleeve altering. I've picked a few things up online successfully, mostly basic chinos and shorts form Lands End, but I was going to go the try before you buy route this time. I have been into Gazman and had a look- what they have in store at the moment isn't quite what I'm after. There was one in the summer range which I had considered, but there was some stitching on the outer of the jacket that I didn't like too much. I did see it online at David Jones for less than half price. Sportscraft is in a similar position at the moment- not quite what I was thinking off.

I like the look of the Uniqlo basic blazer, but I try and avoid polyester where I can. It's mostly a carryover from work- not allowed to wear synthetic clothing. I was planning on getting the train up to Melbourne and Uniqlo was on the list anyway. For it's price, it's certainly worth a visit.

I've had a look online at H&M, but it's in the same boat as H&M- a lot of synthetic, so trying to avoid.

Thanks, I had a look but they're out of the price point I was hoping to find something in. I really like the look of the Copenhagen in the blue. If I could stretch out that much I would- might have to put in a few extra hours at work.

I've bought a few nice items from sportscraft that I like, so hopefully they fall into an SF approved catergory- a basic OCBD and a pair of cord pants.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping to get something next week, but I'll keep looking online at the moment.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

OMG I just realised OCBD is Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour Disorder :eek::bounce2:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

Yep, I've got about 3 or 4. Durable, wash well, hold their shape, and are pretty good value for money. I'd rate them above the TM Lewin's. CT's of the world, and below Kamakura.

4. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Met a publican and his wife surname Hanna at their Gastro Pub in Toowoomba "Spotted Cow". The owner told me he's related to a tailor in Sydney/Canberra must be John Hanna....

On the Dusty front we are all going to Europe in a month with the two kids this time. Spending time Paris driving down to Spain then Nth Italy to see fam. Apart from Boggi, Carmina, SS. Are their any notables for shopping? Shoes, sportscoats etc... PS any must see's around Como apart from Georges mrs?

5. freakersea

freakersea Well-Known Member

Go for a stroll past roger bartholemews in Garema place, the entire window display is Cambridge at the moment.

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Thanks Ryan!

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

we are all going to Europe in a month with the two kids this time

!!!

You must try for a Hermes Green Leather Breast Wallet whilst in Paris.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/215158/...east-wallet-at-hermes-arises-victorious/0_100

In Italy I'd recommend getting measured up for a pair of the Worlds Most Perfect Pants - from Ambrosia or something. Get your kids measured up and then by the time they reach 21 years old the pants might have arrived.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/237582/ambrosi-napoli/0_100

Take knee high safety boots to enable walking around beautiful Napoili and its garbage lined streets.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Find a Napoli tailor lauded on an Internet forum - best get one who doesn't speak English especially if you don't speak Italian.

Find his elderly grandfather with ill fitting bumps on the shoulders of an old mans jacket and point out - by waving hands and shouting in english that thats exactly what you want - and you'll be leaving in 3 days -and yes you are happy to pay eu 5,000.

Next enquire if they have any special chambray shirting fabric so you can have an expensive shirt made up - make sure the chambray is substantially polyester - or not -
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/341010/...rtmaker-an-englishman-chambray-and-fire/0_100

7 people like this.
  8. blahman

blahman Senior member

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Can someone provide the chambray highlights. It 78 pages ffs.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Mafoofan and others raved about their search for expensive, rare French chambray fabric.

Mafoofan later found it that it wasn't pure cotton. Much soul-searching and general head-banging and other SF hilarity ensued.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Ernesto

Cheers JM.

Adventures in the land of Sartoria.

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

No, not yet TBM. Tried one on again last week and the cut is just a little more relaxed than I'd like. I could live with that but it's also probably a tad short on me as well. Not in desperate need for a new jacket at the moment - though with Suit Supply opening up I might have a look there to see what they bring out.

13. The Ernesto

Has anyone (apart from Mike Fitzpatrick) ever bought anything from sarti?

http://sarti.com.au/

I noticed the other day they have a new spot in Lonsdale Street. They have been around for a long time but nobody talks about them.

Edit: Holy sh#t. Just saw this. Disregard previous question.

[​IMG]

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

@fxh - I was sorry to see that you missed out the Gennaro Paone thread and the "Eat. Bespoke. Love" Italian trip report thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/436054/gennaro-paone-former-head-tailor-of-rubinacci

http://www.styleforum.net/t/451888/eat-bespoke-love-my-italian-trip-report

From reading both of the above, we can conclude that when you decide to purchase some bespoke Italian clothing, you should a) purchase at least ten bespoke suits before you can really pass judgement on an atelier's products; and b) get Gianni Cerrutti of Passaggio Cravatte to introduce you to his tailor so you, too, can order some bespoke iGent clothing, preferably in one or more of the following: Solaro cloth; bright, primary colours; and/or horse-blanket patterned fabrics.

3 people like this.
  15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I loved the Chambray thread.

"This cloth is perfect I love it."
    "I have no discovered there's polyester in it - I hate every aspect of it."

Dumbest shit ever.

3 people like this.
  16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

That is an excellent précis!

17. fxh

fxh Senior member

Not only hat it was revealed to be polyester and cotton after much disparaging of others who dared to suggest that fabric wasn't much chop.
    In fact the hero insisted it was rare and vintage (which reminds me of another forum ex- favourite)
    Finally, after thousands of words, a burn test showed even to the most knowledgeable clothes/style person in the world that yes this was indeed some shitty old roll of fabric containing polyesters from an old warehouse. But it was from Italy. Or France. Maybe.

18. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

So did anyone end up buying the Green Brunswick jacket from MJB? Thought I saw a comment on it the other day, would be interested to hear if they did.

19. fxh

fxh Senior member

JM - I think its a well established irrefutable rule that its only by the 11th suit that you can expect your Italian (a slightly different number for other nationalities or even Italian cities) tailor to have nailed your fit.

Not only that it has also been scientifically demonstrated in peer review studies - or someones opinion on-line - that it takes 11 suits from any tailor to be able to compare their work to that of another tailor.

Or to put it another way- to compare two(2) tailors you would have to have 10 suits at least but possibly not more than 11 from each made in order to compare. Or at basics to offer an opinion.
    At superstar Napoli rates that equates to around 11 X eu5,000 (aud$7,000) = eu 55,000 ( aud$77,000) before you nail the fit and or can compare to another tailors work.

Bearing in mind the comparison will need aud$77,000 worth of another tailors work to compare .

So the total cost will be north of $150,000 to decide if you have a shitty suit or not.

This is without adding in airfares to and from Italy, bodyguards and protection $ to enter the back streets of Napoli to find your sekret tailor.
    Plus accommodation meals and money for vintage silk ties, pocket hankies and suede house slippers to wear with suit.
    You will be able to save by avoiding any purchase of socks.

I did neglect to mention that based on trouser making and delivery time scales this would take approximately 12 years of elapsed time.

2 people like this.
  20. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I will buy it. Maybe later today if I get to the store before going to the Comedy Festival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.