1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Well that’s pretty much what Vman recommends anyway. The only difference is a few hours soak in vinegar first, which is hardly a lot of work.

I also use vinegar to clean scale off the outside of my fish tank. Brilliant, but you need to be bloody careful none gets inside.

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Fro a long time, that’ the only use of vinegar I knew.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Buy Bulk bottles of cleaning vinegar from Bunnings - its much cheaper than cooking vinegar even though I'm sure its the same stuff. I have a 5 L bottle always on hand. It will clean (safely) most things - mixed with a bit of water it becomes Spray & Wipe window/glass cleaner, best for cleaning keyboards , Windows, monitors, TV screens etc. Mixed with bi carb of soda its great for cleaning benches /doors/tiles etc. Shannon Lush who is frequently on radio is the (scientific)queen of cleaning. Shes written books which will be in your library. Get them out and read them,.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Some weeks we do around 100 shirts. Find spots - hit spots with paste of napisan (or its cheaper equivalent), rub paste in, the soak in bucket of napisan a few caps in a 7 L bucket - overnight. Then throw whole bucket, shirts and napisan into machine put some soap powder, warm or cold water , gentle wash and spin Hang out in wind and sun to dry and expunge odours like smoking..

Shirts come out as good as new in 99% of cases,

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Anyone know where I can get a nice black calf leather watch strap? I don't want to break the bank but I'd like something decent.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I tried polishing for the first time.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm no expert. I used Saphir Reno on both shoes, then black creme on the RMW's and Neutral on the Alden's, and then a layer of wax all over, black and neutral respectively, then buffing it out. Then gave it a quick shine on each toe cap with a cloth, then buffing it out with a dot of water, about 5 or 6 layers. I didn't aim for a high shine, as I think they can look out of place, and I prefer the smoother contrast between the vamp(?) and the toe cap.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    4 people like this.
  7. stormin1

stormin1 Well-Known Member

That's typically as much as I bother to polish - I figure its as much about caring for the leather. By the way, are your RM's french veal or yearling? They look good.

8. eightace

eightace Senior member

Does anyone have any tips for removing "tram tracks" (the double crease due to not ironing in exactly the same place) from trousers?

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Steam machine maybe?

Tailor/alterationist could probably sort it.

10. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Recs for black trousers/slacks on the cheap? I need them to wear approx. 6 times a year for interstate flights as part of a sports 'travel uniform', so don't want to drop too much $$ and don't need anything especially sharp looking. Overseas an option, but not MTM as I need them for the week after Easter.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

This is the sort of thing you'll generally do better with seamstress or someone who does women's alterations, wedding dresses etc. They have a better eye and feel for that sort of thing.

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Uniglo have cheap wool blend pants. Not sure about black though.

Trenery or CR might do the same.

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Yeah or if you are just looking for cheap black pants somewhere like Target, Kmart or Lowes would be your best bet.

Also, where are the major interstate marbles tournaments held these days? Can you represent Australia in marbles? If so, someone tell James Packer so he can finally get one up on his old man.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Just take them in to a dry cleaning place and ask for them to pressed (they can press them without dry cleaning them, if you ask).

15. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Thanks guys, unfortunately, being a member of SF has given me (gasp!) standards, so poly blend is out of the question. Trenery looks OK, for Aus mass market anyway...
    Surprisingly poor offering from Land's End and BB AU.

I play a slightly larger scale of marbles -
    [​IMG]

Off to Perth for National Champs soon...

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

I haven't noticed much around, but I haven't had a proper look. If it's for travel I'd be going for cotton chinos type if possible. Comfy, easy to alter, and easy to wash. Downside is its hard to get a good proper priest's black in cotton. (small Fr Ted reference) would black jeans be acceptable? If it's trousers I'd be inclined to check out black suits in opshops, not salvos, and just use the trousers. There's usually a decent amount of black suits in opshops.

17. fxh

fxh Senior member

Marbles are they for travel or playing?

Also try the uniform shops/suppliers. Almost all the black trousers I see, security, hospitality, are poly blend. The suits are mostly Wool.

18. fxh

fxh Senior member

19. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Travel only - we have playing kit that would give the Aus Cricket team a run for their money in the 'out there' stakes.

I've tried to rail against black pants for travel, but no dice.

20. fxh

fxh Senior member

If you know anyone in hospitality ask where they get their black trousers. Or a priest. I think there's still a clerical suppliers in Melbourne or it folded into a legal /formal suppliers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.