1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Junior stop being a skinflint and get it done professionally.

4 people like this.
  2. fxh

fxh Senior member

You like getting into womens pants?

1 person likes this.
  3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

What is this confusion, say no to VATeteering!

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

"Junior" is a bit condescending. Oli's an adult, and just made the Bar, that's good enough for me.

Oli, the certificates are not for your peers to admire. They won't admire them anyway, just pay you some unspoken and highly grudging respect.

No, the certificates are for your CLIENTS to admire. And the bigger they are, the more they will be admired. Get nice wide ivory-toned mats (mattes?) with 45 degree bevels, and piano-black convex profile frames. Hang them in the most fuck-off place you can find, like the waiting room or maybe right behind your consulting desk. Make pots of money.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I notice that FarFetch have now also introduced "geo-shaping" (or whatever it's called). They very reassuringly state "don't worry about import duties, they are included in our quoted prices!" Gee, thanks.

I've bought a couple of things off Farfetch, although not recently. They were a good site. No longer. Fuck'em.

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Re-mailers are the way to go. One in the EU and one in the States. Foxy worked this out ages ago.

And a VPN. Having lived in the Despots' Republic of China for several years, I of course have a VPN subscription. In case anyone's wondering, VPN = Virtual Private Network. It's subscription software which will encode/decode all traffic between you and any website you're surfing by redirecting it through their servers. Absolutely essential in China, which blocks Google, Facebook and all sorts of other sites.

Because the target site (in this case, an e-retailer) only receives your input from the VPN proxy site's IP address (which you can choose from a long list of servers in all continents), it doesn't "shape" your request. However, if the site is clever and sees a mismatch between your apparently "local" IP address and an offshore delivery address, it may block the purchase. This is why you will need a local remailer.

For a good VPN, I recommend Astrill. There are, however, dozens of good ones.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Been going on about VAT reduction for a while now. Nothing shits me more than companies ripping off Australian customers by keeping it for themselves. John Smedley, case in point.

2 people like this.
  8. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

You would think that given they are using an Australian com.au website, and an Australian return address then it may be deemed an Australian business. In which case GST would be payable - dare i say it.

9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I should clarify - GF and I know each other offline too - we occasionally catch up to talk about the ABC, Late Night Live and the latest Clarke and Dawe skit. He calls me "junior" because I'm younger and better looking, I call him "senior" because his wife and kid having him placed in a home.

That sounds brilliant, I'll go with that but with black wood/aluminium [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

GST is only payable if the billing entity has an ABN and is registered for GST.

1 person likes this.
  11. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

I thought you could be required/compelled to register for Gst given certain turnover thresholds. But then again tax law is all voodoo to me.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

GST is payable by everyone on every item which attracts GST- that is most goods & services. Individuals who import goods which in one transaction total less than aud$1,000 do not pay GST. There is no import duties for good imported for private use in Australia. There are some tariffs on some goods that are imported for commercial operations. These tariff are, mostly, declining at a determined rate over the next 5 to 10 years. Most tariffs are already below 5‰

The reason the GST threshold for imports is set at $aud1,000 is that that is the rate deemed, by PC, and others, to be the point at which the cost of collecting is more than the revenue captured.

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Junior do not go aluminium frames it will look cheap and nasty.

14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

In the past: SonyNEX 3 with some crazy weird lenses.

Now: Fuji x100s

Future: UNKNOWN.

Gents - I have to long SW shirts that I want slimmed - is this something that any decent tailor can do (ie, local bloke who hems my pants and nips in the waist) or something a bit more complicated (ie, a weekend trip to Sam da man)? Please advise

15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

If you install a VPN are you always using it? Or can you alternate?

Does that make sense?

I'm such a neophyte.

16. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I can't tell what Forum I'm on anymore.

1 person likes this.
  17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Nice!

18. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Oh no! People with diverse interests talk about them!

19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Yes, it makes sense. Can't speak to other systems, but Astrill (for a laptop) is an application you launch, and can then toggle it on or off. When you toggle on, it will automatically select the last Astrill server you used; this can be changed.There are close to 100 server choices, all over the world; changing server takes a few seconds; some are faster than others, depending on time of day and your physical location. There are at least a dozen American servers and a similar number within the EU.

The Astrill iPhone app is more of a background thing. There's no icon on the home screen. Instead, you launch it via Settings. Unfortunately the iPhone version is not as easy to toggle on/off.

The company offers various levels of service including "family" packages with simultaneous connection for up to 5 (I think) devices on the one account. A basic account works out to about eight bucks per month if you buy it for six months. I think there's a 3-day trial.

20. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Thanks coxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.