• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeggett

Reaction score
Quote:
Trims used to sell RMs back prior to going into administration. I'm not sure whether the re-opened business still sells them, but might be worthy of a look?

lennier

Reaction score
I think I may have asked this before, but what with worrying about other aspects of Dressed to Kill I've left my run late on some personal aspects and I'm now getting desperate. So does anyone know where I can find a self-tie batwing bow tie in satin in Melbourne? It's looking increasingly like such a beast is unobtainable at any price, which is just ridiculous. Starting to wonder if I should ask Hober if they can do a rush order, and also wondering why I didn't think of asking them months ago...

Thanks for any help!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lennier,

I don't know about a batwing bow tie (that's the style with the "straighter" blades), but Herringbone usually has some of the more common "butterfly" or "thistle" style bow ties in stock in black satin.

Alternatively, if there is a TM Lewin store in Melbourne (and I seem to remember reading somewhere that one opened last year), I know that TM Lewin also stocks self-tie bow ties in black satin. However, they're also the more typical "butterfly/thistle" design instead of the batwing design. TM Lewin's are cheaper at about $50 and they have, in the past, also had some in different neck sizes, so that you don't have to have the size adjuster on the band (in other words, if you have a 16" neck, you buy a 16" bow tie so that you don't need the adjuster).

I have a self-tie black satin bow tie in the butterfly cut (as are all of my bow ties) and I think that the butterfly looks nice - the greater width gives it more presence than the batwing, which is narrower. Still, that's a subjective preference, of course.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lennier, give Nicole a ring at Circa Vintage or even better drop in. Search for website. There's a vintage bits and pieces shop in Nicholas building too. Talk to the bloke, he does some stage and film costume. Try a party costume shop.. A dinner suit hire place might have some.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, little brag. I went to an antiques fair on Saturday and scored the most awesome vintage perfume buy I've ever had. This lady was knocking out vintage bottles of a whole range of Dior classics, some really old colognes still in box, and a few other discontinued items. Many if not most of them were unopened. I bought a couple of dozen of these bottles, and am going to make some female relatives really happy, and flip the rest. Will keep the 1930s colognes etc as keepsakes, as they are pretty much unique.

You're a machine.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
nice find with someplace.com.au nabil - i havent seen them before.

Also if anyone knows a good daily planner/diary type thing - Day to a page. Max A5 size. Im finding i loose track of to-do's etc these days and best I write stuff done.

My wife has an ilbisonte diary but her's is quite large.

EDIT: similar to this would be cool

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice find with someplace.com.au nabil - i havent seen them before.

Also if anyone knows a good daily planner/diary type thing - Day to a page. Max A5 size. Im finding i loose track of to-do's etc these days and best I write stuff done.

Cheers
Rob

Moleskin are fantastic, i highly recommend. Check out note maker for heaps of fantastic stationary.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, little brag. I went to an antiques fair on Saturday and scored the most awesome vintage perfume buy I've ever had. This lady was knocking out vintage bottles of a whole range of Dior classics, some really old colognes still in box, and a few other discontinued items. Many if not most of them were unopened. I bought a couple of dozen of these bottles, and am going to make some female relatives really happy, and flip the rest. Will keep the 1930s colognes etc as keepsakes, as they are pretty much unique.
CD, pardon my ignorance, but don't perfumes and EDT's have shelf lives?

Last edited:

lennier

Reaction score

Lennier,

I don't know about a batwing bow tie (that's the style with the "straighter" blades), but Herringbone usually has some of the more common "butterfly" or "thistle" style bow ties in stock in black satin.

Alternatively, if there is a TM Lewin store in Melbourne (and I seem to remember reading somewhere that one opened last year), I know that TM Lewin also stocks self-tie bow ties in black satin. However, they're also the more typical "butterfly/thistle" design instead of the batwing design. TM Lewin's are cheaper at about $50 and they have, in the past, also had some in different neck sizes, so that you don't have to have the size adjuster on the band (in other words, if you have a 16" neck, you buy a 16" bow tie so that you don't need the adjuster).

I have a self-tie black satin bow tie in the butterfly cut (as are all of my bow ties) and I think that the butterfly looks nice - the greater width gives it more presence than the batwing, which is narrower. Still, that's a subjective preference, of course.

Thanks JM, I should have pointed out that I have a butterfly/thistle tie, and I've decided it really doesn't suit my face and need something much slimmer. It's a shame Lewin don't make one actually, as their sized butterfly ties are very good value.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers
Rob

Moleskin are fantastic, i highly recommend. Check out note maker for heaps of fantastic stationary.

+1 on Moleskine, although as far as I'm aware, they only make one-use, non-refillable diaries. They are, however, very good.

If you can find a good leather diary cover, you can get refills for it (such as the six-ring size in the link that you posted) in most places as it's a standard size used by Filofax and other business diary manufacturers.

Speaking of Filofax, they do leather covers for ring binder diaries. I'm also sure that Hunt Leather should have some other leather ring binder covers in stock by brands other than Il Bisonte.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ditto. Got them on right now, in fact. Too hot for anything but shorts today. Not looking forward to the 39C workday tomorrow.

Just arrived back in Canberra from the coast and find its 33c 36c 36c 37c for rest of week, and this was just as my vegetable garden was getting back in shape. Off to the NLA tomorrow and work from there for the rest of the week.

Also picked up some samples of Tom Ford Noir while Mrs GF was lipstick shopping on Saturday.

Rob

Second the moleskin I have a filofax I have not used in years sitting on the shelf, now the holidays are finally over I need a diary.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ivy look - 20 or 60 the only thing that changes is you.

Two Australian Adverts below:

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers
Rob
Smythson, Bond St organiser.

Or you could save 340 quid and check out your local newsagent...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads