Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aKula

aKula Senior member

So cold today I ordered 17oz flannel (H&S) pants from a local tailor. Hopefully they'll be ready before spring. Any shops to recommend in Melbourne for overcoats? Thinking I'll just get that tailor made as well. Having things made seems to me the most attractive option, despite the high price. It's good that there are still tailors around in Melbourne who can make clothes rather than just do alterations.

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^^ Was that way last Saturday. It's a small store, but it has some nice items. On a Westfield Pitt St related note...the Linney's jewelry store had a $2 million pink diamond tiara on display in their window. What a waste of money that would be.

We're blessed with a healthy amount of tailors in both Melbourne and Sydney, aKula. Best of luck to you.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

So cold today I ordered 17oz flannel (H&S) pants from a local tailor. Hopefully they'll be ready before spring.

Yes and there saying on the news that the cold at this low level Canberra hit a high of 8c today, is going to stay at this low for at least a week. Time to break out the moleskins and I have to stand on the sidelines watching my son play rugby on Saturday and then go off and see see the Canberra Comics
    (Brumbies) on Saturday night.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Non-Clothing question: I'm trying to send some beer to a friend in Australia. I understand the high cost of it, but I think it'd be worth it as a birthday gift. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in this? How to ship it (I was thinking of marking it as Pop or something), and the costs associated with it?

Also: If Alexander Keiths IS available in Australia (which is the beer I want to ship), can someone tell me where? I have been unable to find anywhere over the net.

Thanks for the help!

I haven't seen Alexander Keiths ale in Australia, but I have seen a few other Canadian beers.

You could try having a look here: Beer Store

And here: International Beer Shop

I don't think that either of them stock AK, but they do have some other Canadian brands.

5. jobro

jobro Senior member

^^ Was that way last Saturday. It's a small store, but it has some nice items. On a Westfield Pitt St related note...the Linney's jewelry store had a $2 million pink diamond tiara on display in their window. What a waste of money that would be. We're blessed with a healthy amount of tailors in both Melbourne and Sydney, aKula. Best of luck to you.
    I wouldn't be to fussed if my wife wore it once then sold some of the diamonds and had something made up with the rest.

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes and there saying on the news that the cold at this low level Canberra hit a high of 8c today, is going to stay at this low for at least a week. Time to break out the moleskins and I have to stand on the sidelines watching my son play rugby on Saturday and then go off and see see the Canberra Comics
    (Brumbies) on Saturday night.

Yeah it was awful today wasn't it. And I'm going camping near braidwood this weekend, brrrr...

I will be bringing out my cashmere lined nappa leather gloves tomorrow for their first wear at this stage.

7. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Senior member

Yeah it was awful today wasn't it. And I'm going camping near braidwood this weekend, brrrr...

I will be bringing out my cashmere lined nappa leather gloves tomorrow for their first wear at this stage.

You Australians are so cute when it cools down a little bit. I'm guessing the temperature went under 10? [​IMG]

8. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Non-Clothing question: I'm trying to send some beer to a friend in Australia. I understand the high cost of it, but I think it'd be worth it as a birthday gift. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in this? How to ship it (I was thinking of marking it as Pop or something), and the costs associated with it?

Also: If Alexander Keiths IS available in Australia (which is the beer I want to ship), can someone tell me where? I have been unable to find anywhere over the net.

Thanks for the help!

Another place you could try is http://www.purviscellars.com.au they have a huge range of beers and we used to use them in our office beer club.

9. youngnstupid

youngnstupid Member

Just to let you guys know that there is a pair of Allen Edmond brown loafers in C's Flashback in Newtown for 45 bucks - around size 9 - im a size 9.5 and my foot fit but it was pretty tight - it seems alright condition - also theres a pair of black wingtip Lloyd made in germany shoes in there too - i dont remember size but its 60 bucks

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You Australians are so cute when it cools down a little bit. I'm guessing the temperature went under 10? [​IMG]

Maybe you should look up the temps in Canberra first? No it's not Europe, but it is very cold here, -3 to a top of 9 yesterday (and it's still a month away from winter)

11. Gassyndrome

Gassyndrome Well-Known Member

Maybe you should look up the temps in Canberra first? No it's not Europe, but it is very cold here, -3 to a top of 9 yesterday (and it's still a month away from winter)

A beautiful and calm morning as the sun came up when I took the pooches for a walk this morning. The frigid wind seems to be picking up right now though....

[​IMG]

12. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Australian homes (including ours in Melbourne) are usually not very well heated or insulated whereas homes in Europe invariably are. What I find this means is that cold conditions in Australia are often harder to bear than the equivalent temperature in Europe, even though the temperature here does not ultimately dip as low.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

MJ Bale are having a sale on Ozale.com.au

Suits for about $600, jackets for $200-$300. Shirts are $55, as are ties.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Australian homes (including ours in Melbourne) are usually not very well heated or insulated whereas homes in Europe invariably are. What I find this means is that cold conditions in Australia are often harder to bear than the equivalent temperature in Europe, even though the temperature here does not ultimately dip as low.

This.

I had a Canadian friend who said the coldest winter he experienced was in a house in Northcote. Said it was the only time he saw his own breath indoors!

15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

What the hell kind of stone did they choose for Melbournes footpaths? I nearly killed myself walking from the tram to the office this morning. I think these shoes might be a candidate for topying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.