Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

For all you Brisbane-based members, I have it on good authority that MJ Bale is planning on opening up in your fine city later this year.

As I've said before, I think MJB offers probably the best value:quality proposition of any Australian RTW maker (HB a close second), so I encourage you all to check it out if you haven't already.

2. ryanohare

ryanohare Senior member

If you're in Melbourne, visit Azzaro in South Melbourne. They have some Mabro dinner suits within your budget. Single button, peak lapel, ventless and very SF-approved. They even have the old-school braided satin stripe along the trouser. They are a drop-6 with a fairly strong shoulder, so they didn't fit me well enough to buy one. But they are great suits.

They also have Versace Collection dinner suits as seen here. Not SF-approved. They are two-button peak lapel jackets with vents in a self-stripe. A slimmer fit in a drop 7 or 8. This will set you back about $700 - 800.

Otherwise, go to David Jones and try on Canali, Zegna, Armani etc. and try your luck on eBay. I've seen NWT dinner suits from these brands go for between $500-$800, cheaper obviously if they are second hand. The Ralph Lauren store in Melbourne also has the black label Anthony Tuxedo in stock for you to try on.

Cheers for this PG. I'll give Azzaro's a go, and let you know how I get on. I'm quite an awkward shape (long arms, slim through the upper body, but massive thighs - legacy of too many years trying (and failing) to make it as a soccer player) so I usually struggle if things aren't MTM, but given my restrictive timeframe I've no alternative but to go for something OTR and tweak it here and there.

Ayway, your help's much appreciated.

Much appreciated.

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Are you coming back thru HK? you could get a shirt/suit measured/ first stop made/fitted second stop. Then mailed on after adjustments

It would be fun just walking around London waving aud$ around + actually having a job.

Sniff out all the online shirt dudes and shoes places. Clarkes DBs. Me I'd check out the charity shops for old tweeds, harrington jackets etc.

If you're into Jantzen it's worth getting Ricky to measure you in person. When I was there I picked up a MTM suit from W.W. Chan and MTM shoes and wallet from Zees in Kowloon.

Member Luk-cha is HK-based I believe, and knows lots of good spots.

Fxh the legend goes that UK gents never throw anything out, they just wear their old Savile Row tweed blazers whilst beagling in the hedgerows. So their op shops are desolate.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

doh, whoops [​IMG]

im in melbourne

Try Katrinas behind 50 Bourke St, the Russian guy (forget his name) in Nauru house, or Sam down in the Myer Docklands building. I've had good results from all of them.

5. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Is Katrina's place called Unos Mode or something, or am I confusing places?

6. truevision

truevision Senior member

Is Katrina's place called Unos Mode or something, or am I confusing places?

they are two different places. its called katrina's designs. irc i think herringbone use unos mode

7. neyus

neyus Senior member

Budget:

Swan's suit looks bloody awful - bubbling all down his right side front from shoulder down. His tie is a dreadful shiney purpley blue pastel job.

Maybe he could re-direct some of that money in the budget for a decent wardrobe or some alterations.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Maybe he could re-direct some of that money in the budget for a decent wardrobe or some alterations.

Then he'd get bagged for government waste and mismanagement.

9. jobro

jobro Senior member

Non-Clothing question: I'm trying to send some beer to a friend in Australia. I understand the high cost of it, but I think it'd be worth it as a birthday gift. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in this? How to ship it (I was thinking of marking it as Pop or something), and the costs associated with it?

Also: If Alexander Keiths IS available in Australia (which is the beer I want to ship), can someone tell me where? I have been unable to find anywhere over the net.

Thanks for the help!

I haven't seen Alexander Keiths at any of the online beer stores. I'd defiantly say make sure this guy LOVES this beer because he will be paying tax on it. I would guess its going to cost you around US$200-250 to ship then ~$15 tax/duty (24x 375ml @ 5% Alcohol).

10. meister

meister Senior member

Mrs Selvaggio and I could not believe it - we rewound it just to make sure we actually saw what we thought we saw!

"Okay, am about to deliver the federal budget...everone will be looking at me...mmmm...what suit will I wear? How about this one that looks like it came from Vinnie's. That should set the right tone"

I was in Vinnies today...they have better suits then Wayne wears...

11. elvish

elvish Senior member

For all you Brisbane-based members, I have it on good authority that MJ Bale is planning on opening up in your fine city later this year.

As I've said before, I think MJB offers probably the best value:quality proposition of any Australian RTW maker (HB a close second), so I encourage you all to check it out if you haven't already.

concept store is coming.

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Agreed. I very much like the look of MJ Bale's suits in particular. And they do MTM as well. Nice.

13. meister

meister Senior member

Where is MJ Bale in Sydney?

14. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Maybe Paul Keating has some hand-me-downs?

15. elvish

elvish Senior member

Where is MJ Bale in Sydney?

Westfield Pitt st same level as harold's.
    Outlet in paddington with shirts for 60

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.