1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Braunau am Inn?

But was your dad a customs officer and was your mum his first cousin once removed???

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Not quite. Her dad was a hairdresser, mother was no relation and she was born in Linz. But it's the same general district.

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Thought of the day - I dont think white OCBDs work. I should have gone with off-white.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

That's crazy talk, Oli!

White OCBD, navy trousers, grey jacket in a herringbone-weave, plain white linen pocket square, knit tie. Done.

3 people like this.
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Off white looks good on almost no white man and certainly not asian complexions. Only darker skinned/tanned people can wear them without looking completely washed out and even then I think white is better.

2 people like this.
  6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Oh I do like to be beside the sea side. Except there is no internet coverage and I have to walk half a click up hill to make a phone call. And this is the 21st Century?

7. Liber

Liber Senior member

Anyone have a copy of the O'Mast DVD they want to lend/ sell? I can only find it from The Hanger Project or Drakes, and the postage from both are more expensive than the actual DVD; $40 postage from THP.

8. Mifune

Mifune Well-Known Member

Will be interested to see what you find for this. Not too keen on spending $300 to get a matching EG Burgundy belt.

I bought a Brooks Brothers Burgundy belt recently and ended up returning it, even side by side it looked almost the same as the dark brown.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

It hasn't been easy. I searched right through 2014 and found nothing. I even got a set of swatches from Equus, and they don't have it. It's strange, considering it's a classic shoe colour.

10. RKLan

RKLan Well-Known Member

Bit late but have been slightly under the weather over the last couple days:

Satorial wishlist (2015 - ?)
    - winter grey flanel trousers
    - mid grey summer trousers
    - brown suede boots (undecided as to Chelsea, chukka or the meermin balmorals)
    - chocolate suede brogue balmorals
    - brown work balmorals
    - compliment of Saphir products
    - 3 belts to match shoes
    - grey Donegal tweed suit (3 piece?)
    - some type of checked suit
    - 2 pairs of canvas sneakers (navy & grey)
    - panama hat
    - smarter pair of sun glasses

Problem is I am also trying to plan/save for a US/Canada holiday in Oct as well :(

Coxsackie: I would actually be interested in said Political 101 rundown (being RSA born and only arriving in mid yr 11). Would tart you off with a drink should I be in town and you feel inclined sometime. :)

Btw good luck to those looking for jobs, I got lucky out of uni walking into a job based on a contact who then moved to be a head of recruitment and put me onto something. Was very clerical and got stuck beneath a glass ceiling for 3 years but was thankful nonetheless.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

You could always try Carmina, as from memory they've got a good selection of belts. I think that their free shipping offer is still current, too, although I'm not sure if there is a minimum amount that you have to spend to qualify for free shipping.

Personally, colour-matching belts is one thing that I'm not concerned about. I've only got three "business" belts - black calf leather, brown calf leather and chocolate suede. I wear the brown calf with most of my brown shoes, from chestnut through to chocolate brown. To be frank, given that I'm usually wearing a jacket and tie, my belt is hardly visible to anyone in any case.

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Try the AE Factory Seconds for something that is good quality and reasonably priced, or wait for the model and colour you want to come up on eBay/camelcamel Amazon alerts:

http://www.shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=39535S&DIM=9998&SIZE=36IN

http://www.shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=74035S&DIM=9998&SIZE=36IN

I have a couple of Manistee belts and they are beautiful.

13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Unless equus have changed their burgundy I have found it to be a solid match for oxblood (eg Herring Drakes) and carmina burgundy (shell and calf). The belt is a solid match for the carminas obviously not bang on for oxblood but close enough to not raise eyebrows. That being said gotta give a tip of the hat for those on the quest for the perfect match and perfect fit etc.

edit: fwiw this was raised in the thread with them last year, they said they'd keep their eyes out for oxblood as they do get requests and maybe do another special run if they can secure a quality run in enough quantity.

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I dunno, I can wear off white.

15. Henry Carter

That's because you are the brownman!

16. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Does the Subcontinent not qualify as a type of Asian complexion? There are some dark Asians out there, HC, but there are also Asians that are more white than white people.

17. Henry Carter

Different skin tones and more importantly contrast between hair and skin, don't want to get in to a debate over what constitutes someone as Asian, they can decide that for themselves but lets say Chinese for example generally have a much higher contrast (black hair and light skin) tone than an average Italian brunette person (brown hair and olive skin). I'm more talking about the colour tones in peoples skin and to do that there is a certain level of generalisation I can't get away from I'm afraid, of course everyone is different though.

African Americans/Africans can do the off white shirt easily, they have very low contrast skin/hair almost the same really. Still think white is a better choice.

Someone like TBM (of Indian descent), who I've met multiple times IRL definitely has the right skin tone for an off white shirt. Still think white is a better choice.

Someone like Oli, who like me is a fairly stock standard whiteboy complexion can't so successfully. I have to be really tanned for it to work. But I still think white is a better choice....

1 person likes this.
  18. fxh

fxh Senior member

Huh?

Wait till I get out my pantone grid and my race card.

What about Cork - Asians?

1 person likes this.
  19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

In other news, I received a pair of mid-grey trousers in H&S Crispaire from Rene at Deer Style today and I'm wearing them right now. Damn, they feel fantastic.

They also happen to go very well with my pale, spotty, northern European complexion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.