1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Does a high school teacher teach engineering these days?

2. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I know several that incorporate parts of their engineering study and work into their classrooms. So, I would say 'yes' although I do not, personally.

However, I do incorporate this concept:

"The idiom "red herring" is used to refer to something that misleads or distracts from the relevant or important issue."

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I "assume" that the only way to consistently beat the market (other than luck and leverage) is having superior information, having superior interpretation of existing information or getting information faster than others. But, there are so many different interpretations of what constitutes "information" that EMH becomes a rather meaningless thing. I it when people say that successful investors are just lucky and EMH holds, but I also dislike it when people point to successful investors and claim the market isn't efficient. Surely someone like Walter Schloss has access to incredibly good information, very good analysts and has proprietary investment strategies. If he is good, he could exceed the market return and the market could STILL be "efficient". Indeed the EMH has built into it that the market has to be just inefficient enough that the average active investor can earn enough profit to keep investing.

My monkey example was based on total return, yours is chance of beating market return every year.

1 person likes this.
  4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Enjoy your Christmas and New Years, JM! :)

2 people like this.
  5. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Bro, let's bring back the real deal Michael Sy

2 people like this.
  6. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Sounds like the EMH implies that any gains beyond the market rate are zero-sum. Great benefit to society that is, eh?

7. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

The problem with EMH is that if everyone believed EMH was completely true and perfect, and thus no incentive to beat the market, then EMH falls apart.

8. DartagnanRed

Wat? No one said that and no one would.

9. DartagnanRed

This is what I was alluding to before. Can't remember who first spoke about it (maybe Fama) but they say the market must be just inefficient enough that active investors earn a "finder's fee" or a small profit which motivates them to stay in the market and keeps it relatively efficient. No-one sensible ever actually claims the market is wholly efficient (even if their language implies they are), rather it is a debate about how efficient it is.

10. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

imply
    ɪmˈplʌɪ/
    verb

1. indicate the truth or existence of (something) by suggestion rather than explicit reference.

Now, I'm no financier, but if there is a default market growth rate which I assume would be due to the increased efficiency from better allocation of resources with a capital market, and attempts to "beat the market" are due to information asymmetry or risk leveraging, then gains beyond the market rate are are to the detriment of other potential investors and do not generate real surplus. Again, I'm no financier, so this is just a thought.

11. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

also the stock market is not necessarily a zero sum game.

If investor A buys stock for $20

then sells it to Investor B at $40,

who then sells it to investor C at $80

who holds to the current price of $100.

Noone has lost money - and each investor has made a profit. This is likely to reflect the strong performance of the underlying business to deliver value and increase sales/profits etc.

Trading derivatives on the other hand is different.

No benefit to society? The level of economic growth and development that the world has experienced today would be likely be much lower without capital markets.

1 person likes this.
  12. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

And all of that would fall under the market rate...I'm talking about beating the market as a financier.

13. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Lads, there's no need for me to say anything - Skeen speaks for me.

I will say one thing though. Isn't it interesting that the two kids that trolled me all day everyday, are now trolling everyone else? Kumbaya.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and I hope you have a great holiday, James Journeyman.

1 person likes this.
  14. Toriiiiiino

Toriiiiiino Member

Hey guys
    I'm after a pair of brown 2 eyelet derby shoes (Similar look to the brown carmina shoemaker derby model 907 rain last) which will be used for work, interviews and outings.
    Anyone have recommendations on what shoe or brands and stores in Sydney? Don't want to get a size to small haha!
    Cheers.

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Well said JM, enjoy your holidays and new year.

16. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

So the answer is a partial yes. How about psychology? Economics?

Thank you for the definition of red herring. Look up poisoning the chalice next.

17. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Well, your assumption is incorrect. You are still hung up on information.

Instead of speculating, just read up on Walter Schloss. Not that difficult to use Google.

Yes, the fabled equity premium. Read my posts carefully. The market is mostly efficient. However, it is not perfectly efficient. The difference is crucial. And no one ever claims the market is totally inefficient.

1 person likes this.
  18. needhelp123

needhelp123 Senior member

Anyone can recommend Sydney alteration for Rick Owens leather jacket? I need the sleeves shortened.

Thanks

19. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

No idea. But thank you for asking a question relating to the thread.

All the financial/intellectual dick measurement is getting quite boring.

3 people like this.
  20. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Yes to both - they are both subjects at High School, but definitely play into Maths, History, any pastoral support, text analysis, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.