1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

What are the current TF Private Blend group buys that are running? I would be up for a distinctly summery scent :)

1 person likes this.
  2. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

sorry for the late reply, have not had access to internet for a while. Sounds like fun, you could try couchsurfing or something similar in tehran, or even see if there is a facebook group for it there. It's a good way to meet interesting locals. I've heard there are lots of house parties/underground parties there.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  4. sliq

sliq Senior member

i think amber absolute and tuscan leather. i'm waiting for the tuscan leather one to take off - get on board TBM!

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I already have Tuscan Leather, bro. Sorry!

6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I thought you have a Tuscan Leather already? Please PM me to get one.

TBM, I propose a split of Neroli Portofino before. Only one person interested, zilch reply. Need 8 takers to make it go.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

The amount of racism I've seen in the last 12 hours or so has been absolutely disgusting. I am honestly disappointed at the sheer number of people that hold ignorant beliefs.

#illridewithyou

3 people like this.
  8. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Islam is not a race. Religion is a choice (an irrational one)

3 people like this.
  9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

LM - I cycle to work pretty much every day. It is not that far so I just cycle in training kit then change into my suit when I arrive. No need for a shower, except on really hot days. I use panniers - clothes can take a bit of folding. On Fridays, if I am just wearing jeans I cycle in my clothes.

I used to cycle a far bit further and showered when arriving. Both work places have had good shower/changing facilities.

Like Jas says great for the mind, also cheaper and more enjoyable than public transport.

Is there anything particular you wanted to know?

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Both the above statements are true. But this hostage situation is much more likely to be about mental illness than about race or religion, despite the apparent religious overtones.

I previously posited the theory that this was a disaffected youth. It's now apparent (as pointed out by another member) that the gunman is not young. I imagine he's probably a very angry man who has nothing much left to lose. Probably a loner, probably fairly intelligent, certainly a person with very few options. Perhaps he was about to be deported. Perhaps he has lost his whole family back in his country of origin.

If he was your typical sociopath, by now there would already have been loss of life. Hopefully someone can talk him down. And if he's acting alone, at some point he will have to sleep or defaecate. That's the moment when those managing this situation should move to neutralise him.

3 people like this.
  11. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Is there not a very fine line between religiosity and mental illness?

I think australia has been far TOO tolerant of religion (including tax breaks for the disgustingly wealthy christian churches)

1 person likes this.
  12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

In some cases, yes. Many historical figures now revered as mystics were probably in reality schizophrenic.

But the tendency to spiritual faith seems to be deeply embedded in the human genome. Indeed I'm sure it has been demonstrated that religiosity is an inheritable trait. Dawkins even outlines a plausible basis for this in evolutionary biology. (Of course, like most evolutionary "biology", this is not true science as such a hypothesis does not lend itself to falsification.)

I'm not religious and never have been, but I am prepared to accept that spiritual faith is a normal state for humans. The biggest problem with religious belief is the ease with which it can be manipulated by intelligent sociopaths. But then, you don't have to be religious to be easily led. Just look at Nazi Germany.

2 people like this.
  13. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

This is only true in a de-contextualised statement.

Especially in Western media post 9-11, the Muslims of the world are being treated as homogenous, as a single group with either unified aims, or a common agenda. While there is not, strictly speaking, a race of Islam/Muslim, the use of the word racism is a reaction to the way that Muslims are often lumped together and then discriminated against, or made fun of.

Whether or not bigotry is a better term is something worth thinking about, but I think there's a god case for 'racism' - people aren't acting based on religious disagreement (which then would be bigotry) but based on appearance (see: Sihks targeted by people who are anti-Muslim). In the same way that Jews are, at times, a race (as well as an ethnicity, depending on a few things), being Jewish doesn't always have to do with religion, especially in the eyes of the critics/haters/insane-o right wing Israelites, etc.

I'd also love to hear an explanation of Australia being too tolerant of religion. With the exception of Scientology and it's cultish bullshit being tolerated here, I struggle to think of what would be considered too tolerant or lenient here.

1 person likes this.
  14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

That's about all I wanted to know - trying to work out my commute for next year (working in Cragieburn), so cycling may be a part of it (though probably not the main part, which will be train).

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

TBM, there aren’t a lot of Tom Ford fragrances that I’d class as summer scents. In my opinion, the woody, leather, oudh, rose, spice combos are better in the cold weather. If I had to pick one TF for summer, it would probably be Neroli Portofino. Don’t know if anyone’s hosting a split of that. (If so, I’m in).

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Australians are generally ignorant of Islam, even on the left.

1 person likes this.
  17. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

You two should talk :)

18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Ordered two pairs of Draper slippers from Pediwear, to be shipped to my usual address in Melbourne, to which I have previously had many items delivered without problem.

They were returned to Pediwear yesterday marked "insufficient address details".

WTF

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

We do, we’re both part of a secretive cabal dedicated to making people smell better. Once we ease you all into Tom Ford, we are going to ambush your wallets with the siren songs of Roja, Amouage and Frederic Malle.

1 person likes this.
  20. deingesicht

deingesicht Senior member

This is killing to do this, but I need to sell a couple of shoes I love that just a little too small. I will add these to the B&S thread once I get the pics tonight, but wanted to give my Australian mates a free option. All are in excellent condition (I have over 10 pairs of work shoes so they have never been worn twice in the same week). Up for sale are:
    - C&J Canterbury (last 317) UK 9.5 black brogues (worn about 10 times and have topy with metal toe) $200;
    - Church UK 9.5 tassel loafers black (worn about 5 times and have topy with metal toe) $225; and
    - Church UK 9.5 velvet slippers black with gold crown crest (worn about 5 times) $180.

The shoes come with shoe bags and box. For reference, I take Trickers in 9.5 and C&J (basically all other lasts) in 9.5 - the above are slightly too small and I know wearing them in will kill my feet for a long time.

I'm open to offers and located in Melbourne. PM if you're interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.