1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm serious about Target for shoes and those cotton linen suits for $150 suits for people that aren't into clothes like obsessives. No normal person will order $400 shoes from overseas and take a chance they will fit when you can go in and try on $80 shoes that for most people will look and wear just as well. If they move into the finer clothing obsessive stage tham ordering online from UK is always an option. But even then experienced players get caught with relatively expensive shoes that don't fit - just ask around here. {cough} No names - but you whistle and I'll point.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

I just wear a linen shirt and a linen suit and cycle to work. This works well especially when you finish off downhill and the breeze really keeps you cool. The biggest downside is the crotch wear, so I have them reinforced.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I can just see you wearing a pair of linen trousers with a chamois lining sewn in to the crotch! [​IMG]

Great on the bike, but it might look a bit awkward when you're strolling around the office.

To be serious, though, I know that Pink Socks has previously mentioned that he cycles to work.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

WTF is going on in Martin Place. Been busy all morning and taken a break and this?

1 person likes this.
  5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

FXH what do you think of Julius Marlow? They always have 1-2 captoe oxford shoes.

6. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

OMG Martin place. Snipers all around.

So scared They just arrested a man with a handgun near the area.

Bomb scares everywhere.

Not sure if any of the rumours are true but frightening.

All our offices are in lock down.

Can't even get lunch. Have to eat vegemite and peanut butter in the kitchen. All the bread ran out too.

1 person likes this.
  7. SpallaCamicia

SpallaCamicia Active Member

Truth be told that's a better selection than when I first anticipated. The fits is an important part of the equation but I have suggested to some people to try in CJs at Herringbone to get the right fit then do the whole "let me check with the wife routine" and discretely exit the store.

8. spectre

spectre Senior member

Okay you guys...

Just a reminder my idea for a black tie-only club, to be called The Posh Penguins (It's my idea so I get to name it) is still on.
    I said a while back I would update you in the new year so I am actually ahead of schedule.
    Firstly, I have enquired about joining the Kelvin Club in Melbourne CBD where I believe we could hire a room for functions.
    They are in the process of reworking their website though so I have to wait for that to be completed.
    I envisage meetings several times a year, but at ad hoc times, according to when most interstate members will be around so we can be fair about it.
    We need at some point to appoint office bearers and my dear friend Gerry Nelson believes everyone should hold a post.
    I may appoint myself honorary chairman but it won't be a dictatorship - and no-one will be blackballed no matter what they do (of course if you show up without black tie you will be denied entry).
    There is the minor matter of me not having a dinner jacket so Patrick Johnson will have to fix that. I'm thinking double breasted peak lapel with a white shawl jacket for summer but that's down the track a bit.
    We should really have a patron. PJ ?? Suggestions?

I will return when I get more info on the Kelvin Club.

Last time I looked anyone could join for about $500 a year. I've been there several times. the food is so-so but it is very clubby and should suit sartorial snobs like us.

3 people like this.
  9. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

edited

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

I haven't specifically looked at them recently.

But in general the sub $300-$400 shoes don't seem to be good value here in Melbourne.

For blokes looking to get a decent pair of interview shoes on a budget/dole so far the best looking shoes have been at Rivers with decent looking black shoes in a variety of styles and sizes for less than $35. Those Target shoes above look a few steps above the Rivers shoes for $80 and the Target ones certainly seem to compare well in looks etc to the $100- $200 or dearer shoes I see around.. The Target shoes look to be well made - its all relative to price - I'm sure they are glued but they have leather soles iirc and it would take a forumite to see immediately see if they were different to the vast majority of UK/Spanish shoes and not goodyear. Keep in mind here I'm looking for cheap options that look ok for interviews. Not shoes for people on a decent salary. Although they may well be better than what 80% of the population wear anyway.

11. alessandromo

alessandromo Well-Known Member

One hostage from today's siege in Sydney looks very #menswear

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I walked right past the Lindt Cafe this morning on my way to work, exactly 30 minutes before the siege started.

No doubt this is all the work of some disaffected lad with pimples and a small penis. Completely futile. I sincerely hope nobody gets hurt.

It should be kept in perspective. Hostage sieges are frequent occurrences in Australia, although they usually involve drunks in singlets bailing up their own wives. This Martin Place incident might have some kind of poliitical-religious dimension, but ultimately, it's just going to be some pimply kid with an image problem.

1 person likes this.
  13. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Agreed. they should just go get some Tom Ford suit and be happy!!

2 people like this.
  14. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

First thing that went through my head was "Bloody oath, a single-vented jacket?"

1 person likes this.
  15. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

It's a 40-50yo man with an Islamic flag. Not sure about the condition of his skin or size of his penis though.

1 person likes this.
  16. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

How do you know it's a 40-50yo man?

1 person likes this.
  17. andrewjamesdean

andrewjamesdean Senior member

Good one, dickhead.

5 people like this.
  18. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

I have seen a photo of him and that's what is being reported.

19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Now, now. Lighten up a little, Holmes. This is a family forum. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

This was the model they were selling for $80 during the EFY sales:

[​IMG]

They're selling a couple similar now for $140 which I imagine will go back on sale around boxing day. They come in half sizes too.

I have a lot of friends who want a classic pair of shoes but don't want to bother with buying online, rotating and all the other fufu crap that is required by $300-400 shoes. For them, I think Julius Marlow is a good sell.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.