1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

^ It depends mostly upon the positioning of the pockets, as well as the buttoning point.

You'd usually be fine to take up a jacket an inch (2.5cm) and I've had it done a few times before.

However, I wouldn't want to have a jacket taken up more than, say, 1.5" (4cm) at the most as I think that the pockets and buttoning point would look too low and unbalanced.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Does anyone know if anywhere stocks filson in Sydney? I want to check out some of their weekender bags.

Btw - if you haven't seen the film 'Nightcrawler' go check it out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  3. hens

hens Active Member

Depends what kind of food you're chasing.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Perth is composed of thousands of white South Africans, pommies still on UK welfare and fifo mine workers in flouro safety vests, steel capped boots and arrears child maintenance payments to at minimum 3 ex defactos.

It's also hot.

High end fine dining is macdonalds or Sizzler.

2 people like this.
  5. fxh

fxh Senior member

However from what I know of current day Chicago it's probably a step or two up in sophistication.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

oH yeah. Let me see you do it with a few beers, whisky s and 3 bottles of red!

7. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

This was from my blog of a year or so ago, but check out http://que-syrah.com/perth-cbd-restaurants/ for a few restaurant suggestions.

By the way, hi-vis clothing is de rigueur in Perth.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Cottesloe beach hotel worth a visit, excellent steaks good beer and views. Fremantle docks area good for fresh local seafood.

Found a CT shirt on my doorstep when arrived home last night packing box was destroyed by rain and no readable address AP repackaged it then delivered with note saying it arrived in Oz in this condition. Shirt still sealed in CT bag and not damaged.

However the week before after waiting two weeks past delivery date I contacted CT and informed them of shirt not arriving so they dispatched another one which is coming via International courier.

Can't complain although I wish some one would shoot Glen Stevens FFS can that man shut up about the dollar.

9. cheungish

cheungish Well-Known Member

Selling my Pjohnson. Have a look

10. SpallaCamicia

SpallaCamicia Active Member

Agree with Journeyman the length of the jacket needs to be in harmony with the rest of the jacket. As a general rule if your saying the jacket length is going down to the length of your index finger that's probably too much. Should be something like where the base of your thumb nuckle is to the second nuckle. Also consider proportion to your height so shorter guys shorter jackets and reverse for taller men.

So if your thinking 1-1.5 inch take up that sounds about right.

Hope that helps let us know how it goes!

11. PDub

PDub Member

Well, fxh may have been exaggerating a bit. You'll find plenty of good places to eat and drink in Perth. Be prepared for a rude shock when you see the bill though.

I'm a bit out of date for recommendations(I'm on the east coast), but enjoyed Lalla Rookh when I was last there. Helvetica bar is great if you like le whiskey. Gordon St Garage was good for coffee and breakfast.

Make sure you make some time to explore outside of Perth. I reckon the coast from around Margaret River to Albany is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. It gets bonus marks if you are into food and beverage too.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Take a goon sack to King's Park.

1 person likes this.
  13. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

Hi

I'm off overseas next week for Christmas, to a winter, but mild and sunny climate and I want to get some pocket squares to impress my wife.
    (I expect she won't even notice).

See I have been bitten by the bug!

I can't get to shops easily this week but I can get to Collins St.

Where does a local buy silk squares that match the price of TM Lewin, or represent better quality. If I can't match their prices at what 35 for 1 or 50 a pair then is there a point in upgrading?

Would I be better off getting a deal at the airport - (in LA as it happens) as I am going via Brisbane.

Thanks Guys

Bone Pete

14. SpallaCamicia

SpallaCamicia Active Member

Hi guys

Wanted to get your advice on something. How's everyone's experience on Herrings shoes? I typically wear Crockett and Jones shoes in hand grade and some main collection but I have some friends/clients how are not looking to spend as much on crocketts.

The dollar is down compared to pounds it's not the good old days. Herrings has a decent following on SF and they do have a sale so your talking high 2s for some of their shoes. On the outside the shoes look good on the web and its Goodyear Welted. But would you consider them offence to the point of not recommending them even at that price or is it in the ballpark?

Many thanks.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Herring shoes have a number of levels of "own brand" shoes that they sell, made by UK shoemakers.

From memory, the top tier are made by Alfred Sargent (called the "1866" or "1966"), the next line down are made by Cheaney for Herring (called Premier, perhaps), and then the next line down are made by Loake, with perhaps a few models by Barker.

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

Bone Pete - I don't think I've ever purchased a pocket hankie full retail.

Most - if not all of 30 or so - of mine have been 50c to $1 from opshops etc. at least half hand rolled edges. Not that it makes that much difference. Many of them still in packaging. Even if not remebr thay are never used for anything except plonking in pocket in a blue moon. I might have a spare .. I'm next in the city next Thursday???

Cal Dreamer. I've spent lots of money and ruined a fair few items of clothing over the years by having alteration people who would do what I asked! In general now I would NOT look to shorten length on jackets but I had always thought 1" on length was about the limit before things begin to look "off". You could perhaps get away with 1.5" if the pockets aren't patch - I assume they aren't - you can always tuck in flaps if they are proper besom pockets to minimize any visual aspect of shortening. You also so have the front buttons and shortened vents to think of but usually less of a problem.

Had a squiz in Muji and Uniglo the other day - nice oxfords and linen in Uniglo cheap and not so stingy collars, for a change, loverly totally unstructured jackets in both cheap but I assume they are bum freezers and great linen shirts and some oxfords in Muji. All very cheap prices and not too bad looking.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  17. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Yeah, saw the linen jackets in Sydney Uniglow the other day - was surprised how good they were - especially for $69 (IIRC). Actually unlined and lightweight too. Didn't try them on though but yes, assume they are quite a short cut, though as long as it's not Pee Wee Herman short on you I think a casual jacket like that can be a bit shorter and still and look ok.

fxh you might like to know Aldi has some men's business shirts for $17 atm. Had better collars on them than most Herringbone/MJ Bale stuff. Nice roll on the spread. Designs were fairly basic too.

18. fxh

fxh Senior member

I checked out the Aldi shirts - they had some non conventional sizing from memory. The best budget white/business shirt is Target - they always have a basic @$10. Not for the forum crowd but affordable to get 2 or so for unemployed blokes for interviews, casual work etc etc. Also I think i mentioned the Target cotton/linen suits @jackets $99 and trousers $49 or so are a good low cost option and they look better than a lot of more expensive stuff. Target has a good selection of shoes @$80 that are fashionable and look as good as most Meerkats etc. Blokes without much clothing experience wont shop at Muji and Uniglo but will go to Target, K Mart, Rivers..

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Not sure if I mentioned, they are both DBs. Would that make a difference? Pockets are flap pockets. If I get it done, I’ll the them to Sam; I reckon he will talk me out of any sheer vandalism.

Are there any 42Ls here who would like a Brioni DB? I have two: a charcoal PoW, and a grey stripe. If the alteration is going to wreck them, it would be better for them to go to somebody they fit.

20. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

I am amassing a collection of shoes to rotate from Herring and they are essentially my first port of call. Realistically if you avoid the very cheapest there is nothing wrong with them. Even the better Loakes are fine. I quite like the Cheaney lasts.

I can get to the city on Thurs FXH, preferably morning. I am after a red silk, (to go with a blue or cream jacket), or indeed any other colour that is versatile with both. More than happy to give you a fair price.

I will be getting back to U-Glow during the week (I can see myself turning in to a right old Glow-whore) to have another look at the linen shirts - last time they had a nice collection of colours but not the colour I wanted at the right size. The jackets I got was rather more cotton than linen. They do a slim fit and a regular fit but there is not a great deal of difference. I also plan in stopping in the LA store on the way back next year to get some wool-mix (surely better than polyester mix) trousers for work and maybe some more linen shirts if they have the sizes and colours.

I'm also going to have a look in the Suit Supply shop in Mexico City. There are some tailors,and shirt-makers in Mexico City charging third world prices. Will report back.

As I have said, I snapped up 2- almost 3, and have been wearing them both, once a week. (I don't mean at the same time..) I hope they retain the cut and don't go back to a stingy collar as it would be nice to replace them every few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.