1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

When it comes to watches, I always go second hand.

5 people like this.
  2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Details?

3. Prince of Paisley

Witty, naughty, fxh-style comment was tempting post, but you'll have to use your imagination.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Active Imagination? Bad enough seeing Billie Piper nude in Penny Dreadful last night very disturbing for an ageing Whovian.

PS God I hate editing your paid to make total idiots sound like rational human beings and get no credit for it, money is not worth the angst. Somewhere the sun is over the yard arm.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

But I only own an Easy Reader.

What if I could only own one, which should I choose?

The former.

I'm prefering Uniqlo denim over Levis right now though (I don't expect it to last into my 30s).

It looks like its trying too hard to be the next Lockheed Lounge.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

These look like a huge rip off of the Braun Watches(unless they came first of course). I have one, very happy with it.

I just prefer to call days like these, Sunday's.

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Which specific Braun model?

I've had my Out-Time since 2010, and I think they were pretty well established by then.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Braun were making watches back in the 1970s. Their watches were designed by Dieter Rams, who designed a lot of other of Braun's iconic, simple, plain, workmanlike designs from that period.

Admittedly, I do think that Braun may well have stopped making watches for a decade or two, before re-introducing a line-up (including Rams' original, iconic designs) in the late 2000s or thereabouts.

1 person likes this.
  9. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I love mine.

They have a different texture to cotton rather than being better in some kind of objective sense. They become soft after a bit of use but I'd never call mine smooth in the way good cotton can get.

10. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Are there any doctors on this forum who knows something about medical imaging technologies? Please PM, thanks.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Interesting thanks for sharing your thoughts, sounds like I might actually have to go in store and check some out then as they appear to be quite expensive to take a punt on.

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Just bought the Weekender with the khaki strap. I feel so wasteful :(

14. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

They're like, $30 delivered!

15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

That's $30 I could put in my super :(

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

Or 3 pints of Guinness...

1 person likes this.
  17. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Happy hour in Canberra 6 pints of British Brown Ale = $39 who to thank? David or Tony?

19. fxh

fxh Senior member

The trouble with the pocket hankie at work is...

The trouble with the pocket hankie at work is that its a marker a sign or signifier– I forget which – probably both - that you are different. Perhaps even that you care. Now its no problem at all if your supervisor doesn't like it and s/he quietly draws you aside and asks for a word in your shell like.

If that happens its out in the open, it marks her /him as an aware individual who seems to notice things and is prepared to say what s/he thinks. You can respond “Sorry boss, I’ve been reading too much fashion stuff on the net. I’ll just avoid using one – thanks for the pointer”. Or you can argue the point “Look Fiona, its an important part of my persona and personal motivation tools. Can we discuss this when we both have more time and are sober”? – or you can say “Fuck you you slob Barry – I’m down with the fashions. Its about time you smartened up too and tossed that black suit”

And naturally you'll live with the consequences of each chosen response and action.

But it doesn't work like that mostly – or if it does you're lucky.

How it works is people size you up. They don't really compute the pocket hankie or if they do it’s a vague sense of something slightly flamboyant or dandy like. Its more likely to be a subtle unconscious linking that you are not quite the right fit. There's no tick box on the HR template KPI/Quarterly evaluation sheet that asks “ Is this prick too well dressed” or “Does the defendant wear a pocket hankie” . No it's a combination of things that go with your work performance and attitude and personality and such.

Are you a young, overconfident brash careerist? Think hard.

In some workplaces this is highly prized. (I’ll leave it to you to decide if that's your work place) . In others its resented and squashed, in others its derided and laughed at, in yet others its seen as a warning to watch to see if you’ll mature. If that’s your work persona you might like to counteract that with your clothing choices – don’t dress like a brash ignoramus even though your mother thinks you are wonderful. But tone down the clothing - say by NOT wearing pocket hankie.

Its not the person who tells you about the acceptability of pocket hankies who you need to worry about – its those who don’t even comment.

It’s a funny old world - isn’t it
    edit: I meant to add; to be continued.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  20. Prince of Paisley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.