1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

If like you, a man is well dressed and timeless he is not a dandy - but in some circles he will be gazed on perhaps with interest, positive or negative.

Now we are back probably on a timeless classic of this forum - why we dress like we do - and whether there are indeed norms or even rules..

In some circles, anyone well dressed might be considered narcissistic if noone else is. I get out to blue-collar sites and do you know what, I am considered a metrosexual - which is laughable - as I stay clear of any metrosexual look - most certainly - and err on the side of classic, and timeless. But to a blue collar worker, they can equate timeless and classic with fashion even if they might concede eventually that I am not actually fashion-forward. Infact wearing RMs on minesites like I do is very Australian so I should get away with it - really I am a corporate 'suit'.

I like tweed - colourful tweed too - it most certainly is a look I cultivate as one which reflects me and my upbringing - it is me. Some of the colours I favour are slightly dandyish but in the context of where the jacket was made, where it was first worn, why, where, historical nuance, it is not.

To be a true Dandy now, I reckon there would simply have to be an element of costume, even flamboyant in a look. Coxy - I see you as timeless not a Dandy. In some ways hipsters are Dandies....no socks, showing calves etc is frankly, in my opinion flamboyant (and silly too).

Dandy has probably left the vernacular - Oscar Wilde was the first dandy perhaps? The whole tradition of the Asthete?
    It is context - if you are a doctor, lawyer or higher professional then as a matter of fact you probably can get away with dressing rather nicely. If you work in IT support then a suit will be off to many people.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

Dandy is most un-Australian.

With just a bit of style you risk being lynched.

1 person likes this.
  3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Everything is a sign. Signs signify particular social codes and within those codes there are particular cultural mores. While a pocket square may signify a sartorially aware individual, a Dandy, a peacock or a spiv its interpretation is always in through the eyes of the beholder. The reader of signs carries their own socially constructed baggage and this in turn fashions their interpretation of the sign. So even such a small item such as 'the pocket square' is in actual fact a socially loaded signifier with a sartorial history. However the sign does have the potential to become an Icon which then assumes an entirely different role in human life. This essentially is what has happened to the (humble?) pocket square and why accordingly it provokes such moments of bliss and consternation as it circulates through the sartorial constellations of our lives like so much sand through an hourglass.

"Jeeves bring me a large Hendricks and tonic my good man"

4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Are we just having a pissing contest now to see who can write the most in-depth analysis or poetic reply to conclude that there are no universal answers and that trying to ascribe an absolute value of perception to our symbolic pocket square is as multi-facated and varied as each persons individual truths?

3 people like this.
  5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Yeah whatever happened to shoe last comparison?

3 people like this.
  6. Geoffrey Firmin

The pocket square is not a singularity but a multiplicity of Iconography whose truth is as varied as the socially constructed eye of the reader.

7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Can you not see it's a puzzle within a riddle hidden in an enigma engulfed by a conundrum?

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Sensei
    The bespoke suit begins with a single fitting.
    Grasshopper

2 people like this.
  9. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

When the master tailor points at the moon, what do you see, young one? His heroically unbuttoned surgeon's cuff... Or the moon?

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Look at his cuff ... and you miss all that heavenly glory ...

11. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Yes gentlemen, we know the answer is 42.

3 people like this.
  12. Geoffrey Firmin

Jacket size?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Yes. Maybe 44 in some of those Italian brands.

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

[​IMG]

At the risk of sounding boastful, this is where my wife has been working as an interpreter over the past couple of days. Even though she's an experienced conference interpreter, it's still been a heck of an experience for her. Very stressful and exhausting, but also incredibly professionally rewarding.

Note: She didn't take the photo as she was too busy interpreting and preparing - I just pulled the photo off the Brisbane Times website.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    6 people like this.
  15. herringbonePete

France beat Wallabies 29-26.

Wallabies weren't flattered during much of the match but were still in it - then scored 7 points in the last 5 mins......

Good game

16. Geoffrey Firmin

Good game? The Wallabies lost FFS! I got up at 7am to watch it and the second half was appalling by the Wallabies that last play they had the French out wide but did they pass it that way. No they rumbled it up with the forwards knock on game lost. Merde!

The only redeeming factor now about Sunday is that its currently bucketing down.

17. herringbonePete

Good game for a rugby fan Geoff. Yesterday, I bought some antiques in a garage sale in my road, the owner turned out to be an ex-Wallaby. (Name withheld on this public forum!)

Might get the tweed out for my Sunday arvo trip to city.

18. Geoffrey Firmin

A good game for a Wallabies fan is when they win. Now excuse me i have to find my sack cloth and ashes.

19. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

They are prob in your laundry - you seem to don them a lot. Might need another set.

1 person likes this.
  20. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

A Movember Update:

[​IMG]

Thank you to Mr. Nice Guy Nelson for his generous donation. If you would like to support men's health initiatives (mental health, prostate and testicular cancer), please consider making a donation to mobro.co/tarang

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.