• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
One more thing, they mentioned with regards to BB that they will focus mostly on shirts... I thought this was weird, I don't think most people would know why BB OCBD is better than say, van heusen or another myer brand... then, in the knowledgeable end of the market, they'd be battling kamakura near the 100 bucks mark...

I sincerely hope they do as you say, and price competitively on an international scale.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really see a place for brookes brothers out here. I sense like Ralph Lauren it will inevitably take high end retail space and pitch for a luxury market.

Australia really only needs a good shoe store (besides RMWs) and for a lot of Aussie retailers (especially MJ Bale) to start lifting their game in terms of shirts, ties, odd jackets and other basics.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, for non-work clothes, it's time to go full Magaret Howell. Time to ditch my gothic/louche stuff.

:(

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Keep in mind though that in both cases Oroton will run the local online business - not sure if they'll cut prices to the US equivalent... $480 USD is only like $515 AUD tops which is a decent price I think for a full canvas suit

There is no way they will maintain pricing parity with the US.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just remembering my grandfather - James Henry Boots 18th Division First AIF. Gallipoli Veteran wounded and repatriated from Lone Pine.

Mrs GF father was a 16yo Irish Machine Gunner at the Somme. Lied about his age to enlist then after 1918 was part of the Irish Catholic diaspora which ended up in Oz due to taking the King's shilling.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The good thing is that you'll be able to try on their suits and then when the biannual sales happen grab one then. They do have significant savings at those times mind you the $50 FR shipping is a *****.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score

The good thing is that you'll be able to try on their suits and then when the biannual sales happen grab one then. They do have significant savings at those times mind you the $50 FR shipping is a *****.

yeah... one can hope - some australian retailers are starting to turn - for camera enthusiasts, i'd say have a peek at JB Hi Fi's camera prices - they are now pretty close to international pricing (not gray import though - warranty is different after all, but its a pretty important thing for a $3k camera). A few years ago Ryda and Digital Camera Warehouse used to do really well because they were local, offered official warranty, but also close to international pricing. Finally JBH has caught on, and with their negotiable policy, they'd likely get my business next time

David Jones is trying hard to make in roads into this, on things like cosmetics where the shipping is not expensive and price discrepancy high

Because Oroton will run the online business for BB (and the gap) you will be redirected based on your ip, but of course there are ways around, discussed before. So yes, important thing is I can now know what cuts are good for me, and get that $500 full canvas suit US pricing... I've never had a suit with horn or mop buttons... would like one...

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was before.

In a few years time:

smile.gif
It's funny you should say that.
This was taken around 1996 when they filmed an episode of Halifax f.p at my house. That's My older Brother, myself, and Hugo Weaving.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't really see a place for brookes brothers out here. I sense like Ralph Lauren it will inevitably take high end retail space and pitch for a luxury market.

Australia really only needs a good shoe store (besides RMWs) and for a lot of Aussie retailers (especially MJ Bale) to start lifting their game in terms of shirts, ties, odd jackets and other basics.
RMWs are boots - shoes still lacking (besides Double Monk)

Doubt BB will have parity pricing, or even close

Even if Australia had the same USD purchase price as the US chain, we have ~6% more in taxes, higher shipping costs and lower volumes.

~20% more than US is what id expect at best

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah... one can hope - some australian retailers are starting to turn - for camera enthusiasts, i'd say have a peek at JB Hi Fi's camera prices - they are now pretty close to international pricing (not gray import though - warranty is different after all, but its a pretty important thing for a $3k camera). A few years ago Ryda and Digital Camera Warehouse used to do really well because they were local, offered official warranty, but also close to international pricing. Finally JBH has caught on, and with their negotiable policy, they'd likely get my business next time

Perhaps you can help me, I want to grab a new camera - one of the smaller but powerful ones (perhaps mirrorless). There's a lot of options. I was just going to wait until I went to HK (because I've heard there are a number of good, cheaper camera stores there). Any insight? Is it easier just to buy here?

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
One more thing, they mentioned with regards to BB that they will focus mostly on shirts... I thought this was weird, I don't think most people would know why BB OCBD is better than say, van heusen or another myer brand

Ah but you misinterpret the Aussie menswear market. The average punter doesn't need to know why one shirt is better than the other, they just need to think that one shirt is better than another. And they will. When Brooks Brothers opens it will appeal perfectly to the middle aged or older man who wants something a bit nicer than the average Joe. The shop fit-out will look nice, the BB materials will feel slightly nicer to him (or at least he'll think so), "Brooks Brothers" sounds like a nice quality brand to him, the shop assistant tells him it's big in America etc etc. Shirts are the most profitable area of the menswear market. This is why TM Lewin opened in Australia, why Charles Tyrwhitt has its own Australian website and mails catalogs here every couple of months and why MJ Bale advertises its shirts so much. Aussie blokes love poor to mediocre quality shirts, and this is why BB will do fine.
,Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthaveknow
...then, in the knowledgeable end of the market, they'd be battling kamakura near the 100 bucks mark...

The knowledgeable end of the market remains persistently small and unprofitable. Again, BB are after the type of bloke who walks in, asks the shop assistant to recommend some nice striped shirts, throw in a couple of pink OCBDs for the weekend. in all likelihood his wife is helping him choose the pattern. "No honey, the plain white is boring, try this pink, green and blue bengal stripe, here, pair it with this nice red tie I've found." They're not after us (are we knowledgeable?)

When I visited a couple of BB stores in HK I was very underwhelmed. Most of the shirts fit like a tent, and I am by no means a small bloke. The suits aren't really going to appeal to many people in this thread. Very heavy, bulky, padded shoulders classic American style. Golden Fleece stuff is pretty nice, but seriously pricey. Despite this, I think BB will fulfill exactly the role it is supposed to, which is plug the GAP (hah!) in Oroton's revenue after the loss of the RL licence. As for what has happened to RL since then, this is a rant for another time...

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mrs GF father was a 16yo Irish Machine Gunner at the Somme. Lied about his age to enlist then after 1918 was part of the Irish Catholic diaspora which ended up in Oz due to taking the King's shilling.

I was talking about this to my mum on the weekend. My grandfather was at Fromelles on the second day, after thousands of his mates were slaughtered the previous day. He sustained shellshock in the trenches, and never really recovered from the experience.

My mum said he was a lovely man, gentle and quiet, who wore a 3-piece suit and a tie just to go down the street to buy the milk. I never met him, which is a shame.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RMWs are boots - shoes still lacking (besides Double Monk)

Doubt BB will have parity pricing, or even close

Even if Australia had the same USD purchase price as the US chain, we have ~6% more in taxes, higher shipping costs and lower volumes.

~20% more than US is what id expect at best

My random guess came in at 26% more. Not a small amount.

When I visited a couple of BB stores in HK I was very underwhelmed. 

Nice post DR.

Had a similar experience in the Singapore store. Was a big meh really. Having said that I like their chinos a lot and will happily have a look at sales time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads