1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

The best Bakery is off Lygon Street, but for pastries La Petie Gateaux is excellent (Collins Street).

Spanish: Movida?

Asian: Shanghai Street Dumpling, Kokoro Ramen, Mamak House, Laksa King (Kensington)

Gastro Pubs: no idea about the beer, but Captain Meville might be a good bet.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I don't know what everyone's problem is with a peak lapel tux. along with being totally appropriate, I think it looks much nicer on men with bigger heads (especially compared to the skinny lapels of OTR).

My ideal tux would be black with peak lapels similar to MJB's Vince tux.

1 person likes this.
  3. Oscar Hunt

Oscar Hunt Well-Known Member

Linen/wool would be typically be hardier than wool/silk but it really depends on the blend percentages. You may have a fabric with less than 5% silk in the blend which won't really effect the durability too much, in comparison to a wool/linen that has 30% or more linen through it - both fabrics will perform differently.

You could say that wool/linen has decent formality because of the structure of the fabric (less creases in comparison to 100% linen etc), but again it depends on how much linen is in the blend. I have certainly seen wool/silks that look really formal because of the fabric design and percentage of blend.

I think both wool/silk and wool/linen are good options for summer, but if you want a slightly more structured fabric that doesn't crease as much then linen/mohair is your best bet. Mohair is an amazing fabric with different properties to wool, but its fairly rigid and not for everyone.

1 person likes this.
  4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

As it's related to the discussion, here's a close up of the fabric from a wool/silk/linen jacket I wore yesterday.

[​IMG]

OH - the mohair/linen blend sounds interesting. I'd imagine the mohair could impart a bit of a sheen similar to silk in a se/wo/li blend?

3 people like this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm not OH, but I'll chime in with my $0.02.

I had a light grey mohair suit a while back and yes, it did have a bit of a sheen to it. Not too showy, but definitely not as matt as plain wool.

I've also got a brown glen plaid suit in a wool/mohair blend and whilst the fabric has a bit of stiffness and structure to it, courtesy of the mohair, it doesn't have a sheen.

6. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

I love silk blends. My favourite is a linen/silk/wool blend. Barely realise you are wearing anything. I've only worn the jacket a few times, but I doubt it will be very durable. I reckon it's fine if the jacket is not one you are considering wearing often.

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

What's cooler, linen-wool-silk or linen-wool (50/50)?

8. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Melbourne bros:

1. What's the turn around like at same the alterationist? Need some.pants hemmed and am in town soon to pick them up.

2. Any ideas where to get a glasses case? Mine has been broken after 2 years of abuse. It needs to be hard shell because it will get abused daily.

9. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

1. Depends on how busy they are, surely? A lot of places are busy atm due to spring racing season jobs. I'd ring up and check if they can meet your deadline.

2. I think you'd have much better luck finding something nice on eBay/etsy than in Melb.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

2 people like this.
  11. Romp

Romp Senior member

my loro piana lightest jacket is 10% silk ... they add silk in small percentage for strength as its only 175g/mt

You'll find that silk is protein based and it wears warmer, not cooler for its weight.

That said, it allows you to make a lighter garment so perhaps evens out in the end anyway?

Other attributes of silk will be wrinkling, sheen/lustre and softness.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I've got 2 or 3 SCs in wool/linen/silk its a great blend.

Matt, usually your regular optometrist will give you glasses cases for free. Or just walk into a w' bool optometrist and ask them for a freebie. Opshops are a great source of glasses cases, the semi wsoft leather ones with a pocket clip are the go.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

sorry to hear you're not feeling well Gerry.

1 person likes this.
  14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Matt, I'd concentrate on finding a tailor/alterationist in W' bool. For the future use. Ask/poke around , I'd assume due to FJs that there would be shitloads of skilled people and proper tailors around retired or semi retired.

15. Liber

Liber Senior member

Can anyone comment on to what degree a pair of suit pants could be slimmed down by? I've got a pair that need at least 0.5-0.75" tapering from the knee down. Doable?

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

Liber, basic, simple, common, piece of the proverbial.

1 person likes this.
  17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Kudos to GC for "dressing-down" to let his bride's outfits take pride of place, but there are several problems with this fit: 1. Shiny suit during the daytime. 2. No tie dimple. 3. (Not seen above) Derbies? You kiddin' me? 4. No PS ( a crisp white linen TV-fold would have been spectacular here). 5. He wore the same suit to the after-party. Must have been a bit smelly by then.

Yep, this is SF folks. Nitpicking is our middle name.

The real proof of Bono's wankerhood is the dyed hair. Contrast this to another huge rock star from the same vintage, who is ageing so much more gracefully (and is so infinitely better dressed). I speak, of course, of Paul Weller:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to look like THIS^ when I become an elderly rock star. (I'm halfway there.)

And I thought I'd heard it all.

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

My misc news:

(1) For anyone hunting invisible socks, check out Bonds No Show Sports Socks. Unlike other invisibles, the sock covers the top of the foot in a similar way to a crew sock in that the top of the foot is covered as opposed to just the base.

(2) I recently bought an old leather Bausche & Lomb leather case off ebay. Where do you guys get your cases?

[​IMG]

(3) Speaking of sunglasses, I'm starting to build brass like mold on my aviator frames. Would anyone know how to clean it off without damaging the prescription glass?

(4) trying out a pair of 505s. I'm liking the extra room in the thigh, not so liking the higher waist though :(

19. Oscar Hunt

Oscar Hunt Well-Known Member

Nice blue. The wool/linen/silk blend gives that real vibrancy as the fibres take to dye better than some (especially silk), giving the fabric a point of difference in the colour alone.

Mohair can have a natural sheen/lustre to it but not always. It really depends on the mohair/kid mohair used in the blend and also the finishing on the fabric. Fabric suppliers finish their fabric differently as a point of uniqueness/quality, and finishing really has a significant difference in the end look or result of the fabric. I was lucky enough to see the difference first hand when I went to the UK in January and went to a dying house and finishing house.

Exactly as above. Not all mohair has that natural sheen/lustre that people sometimes assume. All mohair's perform differently, as well as provide a different structure and weight to a garment. What were you first thoughts of mohair when you tried that jacket on? Or did you already know about mohair?

1 person likes this.
  20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I had a blue silk/linen blazer years ago. Wore it a lot with linen shirts and trousers held up very well in the rigours of a humimid Sydney summer.

Speaking of which today linen lilac gingham short sleeve shirt with RAF blue linen/cotton trousers great in the heat in Sydney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.