1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

^ Obviously George is not spending enough time on StyleForum

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Its a very common USA thing to get married in a dinner suit.

3. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

I eagerly await footage of the first SF'er to tell George to lift his game.

4. spectre

spectre Senior member

I can 't remember seeing him without notch lapels on a dinner jacket. It's Armani apparently so, like all movie stars who know nothing about clothes, he just accepts it.
    I don't understand the fuss about Clooney's dress sense in the US. As much as I like his work, I never see him in anything other than a dark suit or jacket and a white shirt, sometimes open, sometimes with a black tie. Very little imagination involved.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

[​IMG]

6. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Maybe he just likes the look of them? We can fault his 'expertise' in evening wear and also coffee, but certainly not his taste in women!

7. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

Nothing like a good Viz top -tip!

It's all part of the tabloid - celebrity look - I am wearing a 'tux' so I am elegant and have made it in life.

I see the whole white shirt and dark jacket (or in metro-middle-aged-man land) dark shirt and dark jacket - again as a sort of "I am smart : I know what I am doing but don't take myself too seriously"

I was thinking the other day how my look (inspired by my English upbringing) which is a bit of tweed here and there - with jeans - and spread collars and double cuffs - in casual and in business, aha! (and I don't care what the rule is) - and not being afraid to wear a colourful shirt in a business setting, is now becoming more inspired by StyleForum.

Basically to a more continental 'Italian' (industrial?) look. I am not sure if this is Styleforum, or Melbourne's Italian heritage, or current fashions.. or what? So I am moving away from candy stripes to plain shirts. I still like overchecks and ginghams. I have at least one jacket now I have binned as the shoulders are a bit too structured and I am inching to SuitSupply for my next purchase. I believe there is a current crop of sleeker jackets (with natural shoulders with a bit of padding) which will survive the test of time.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

B&T Linen Shirt Jacket is ready, summer, come at me.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. daltsoner

daltsoner New Member

I hate to try to change the subject away from GC, he is the man.

My folks are heading over to Germany and Paris this week, and I was hoping some members could advise what some items/brands/outlets that I could get them to have a look at that aren't available here in Australia, or are more reasonably priced?

If it helps to narrow down the sort of things I might be interested in, Im currently trying to put together a business wardrobe (just bought a couple of pair of Loake's from Shoehealer - highly recommend this buying experience by the way), and I'm always on the look out for some nice warm coats or jackets, and shoes that are better than what's on offer at Aquilla...

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

For a start, the Carmina Paris store - http://www.carminashoemaker.com/web/shops_par.php?lang=eng

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Brooks Brothers.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

O'Connells have some long sleeved ones - I think they will fade and bleed a bit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We've long awaited an authentic hand loomed india madras fabric to manufacture some genuine madras shirtings from. O'Connell's has located such a source, in the southeast region of India - adjacent to the Bay of Bengal, where creating Madras all started.

Start yourself out with a fresh unwashed madras shirt, feel how light and airy the weave is, and start wearing and washing a classic. Our madras shirts should be hand washed or gentle-cycle machine washed cold, separately. They will fade and discolor with time, providing you with a new look to the shirt as time goes by.

- Button-down collar.
    - Left breast pocket.
    - 100% hand-loomed cotton madras.
    - Mother-of-pearl buttons.
    - Full cut.
    - Made in USA.
    They don't look as authentic - open weave, lightweight, colours to bleed as these below - but they were deadstock.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

[​IMG]

Seriously, though, as GF pointed out, BB stocks bleeding madras sometimes.

I even picked up a bleeding madras shirt from Land's End as part of their summer range a couple of years back.

14. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Learned about The Fappening from my brothers this weekend (I know, I am about 3 weeks too late). I'm surprised no one here has brought it up sooner - it's some serious "iCloud-security-is-shite"-shite! This, along with Bend-Gate - do you think Apple will suffer at all?

Also, decided to do a bit of a side project and refurb my 5 year old 15inch MBP. New RAM, battery, large SSD with cold install - costs way less than a new MBP or even MBAir. Has anyone else attempted this and can publicly provide or PM me some pointers?

Hope those in Melbs are all enjoying the fantastic weather...

*And Foxy, looking forward to seeing that linen shacket. I am really wanting one as well, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

15. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Please take some pics when you get a chance. :)

16. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I personally think they've lost a bit of lustre purely from an innovation point of view the well seems to have dried up a bit and without a commitment to the ethos jobs built up you can see the quality starting to peel away with some of these blunders. Not so much with security, truthfully that could have happened with any platform...look at shellshock security flaw like a 20 year old open door!! Can't have a 100% strike rate for a business, the true test is whether they still bounce back better for it, although its not like the stock price or the pre-order and sell out of new devices has really been affected so in many respects you could just brush it off as nothing to see or learn from.

As for the fappening its amusing that every man and his dog has an opinion on this but you discuss some of your freedoms your elected officials just voted away recently and peoples eyes glaze over...

17. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

i went to dymocks building Looksmart in CBD sydney.. i wanted to lengthen a sleeve of a RLBL suit by 1cm at the cuffs, and I was quoted $70....

anyone know a more reasonably priced tailor for a relatively simple job?

18. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

If anyone is interested, unfortunately Giacomo of Gina & Giacomo Basso on Rathdowne Street fame, passed away a week ago. A very nice man and a great tailor.

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Very sad.

20. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Actually, I have heard of him from one of my anaesthetic friends who said he was solid as an alts tailor. Sad to hear.

In other news, further proof that Bono is a wanker, wearing this to GC's wedding:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.