1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eightace

eightace Senior member

Anyone in Sydney used Queens Alterations in the QVB?

If so, how was your experience?

2. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Guys, very light grey sportscoat, bad idea? Seems dificult to pair with stuff. Is a db navy sportscoat a good idea? I already have POW grey and blue, navy single breast, light beige/fawn, grey plaid, blue. A navy db seems like a good staple, correct?

3. fox81

fox81 Senior member

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

What's the context, Luke?

I like light gray and navy slacks, or even beige or tan.

Blue DB is pretty popular.

5. lukejackson

No special context; work and play. I'm thinking the navy db is probably nore versatile. Linen silk wool, so could even try it with denim if I was feeling brave i suppose. Both jackets on deep discount but I can only afford one.

6. lukejackson

dartagan, sorry to hear, I know that feel bro.

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

For me an odd DB jacket will be peacock-y in Australia. Especially if you're young. I wouldn't call it a "staple". Even a DB suit is pretty uncommon on someone under 35.

If that's OK with you, then go for it. Nothing wrong with the look - it just stands out.

I wear a light grey odd jacket with Navy and Khaki trousers all the time.

2 people like this.
  8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I'm with you, especially considering that LJ is another young fellow.

The one thing I don't see is a Brown Sports coat, I'd recommend getting something in brown.

1 person likes this.
  9. Liber

Liber Senior member

I vote green!

2 people like this.
  10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

If you were getting a beige cotton jacket, patch side pockets and barchetta breast pocket - and getting pants to make it a casual suit too, what combo of pleats/side adjusters/belts etc. would you go with on the pants? Bearing in mind that you might wear them as an odd trouser as well...

11. lukejackson

Yeah I see where you guys are coming from. I'll think the light grey. 90% off so very tempting. Navy pants, dark gray pant, dark green, dark brown pants would all go well i think.

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Lachy: side tabs, single pleat, cuffs.

1 person likes this.
  13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

That's exactly what I'd normally get on any suit.

On a blazer suit, though, I thought maybe belt loops & pleats.

It'd make the pants more versatile as an odd trouser than side adjusters, which still don't look quite right to me on odd trousers.

Though I do already have plenty of cotton trousers with belt loops I suppose.

14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Lachy, here's my thoughts on belts:
    No

FYI, I'm still not sure what's WRONG with orphaned suit trousers, it seems completely acceptable, if not totally gorgeous almost all the time. This might just be one of those parts of CM I don;t really identify with - to be frank it seems a bit crazy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Matt, not all suit trousers are inappropriate to wear as slacks/odd trousers/sport trousers. But the rules as it goes is a useful guideline as certainly MOST worsted suit trousers worn without suit jacket don't work. Or at least, don't work well.

I wear one pair of orphaned suit trousers as sports trousers and they don't look bad mainly because of colour, medium grey, and partly because they have a slight interesting texture. But I always think striped worsted trousers, either pin striped, chalk striped don't look good as sports trousers.

16. lennier

lennier Senior member

Yes I'd tend to agree, and certainly hope that's the case as my first SS commission is a very light grey wool/linen suit which I hope to be able to wear as semi-casual separates as well. Looking forward to getting it!

17. spectre

spectre Senior member

This is perfect for odd pants. You don't have to have belt loops, it's more we are conditioned to seeing them. My tailor never wears belts and all his odd pants done in the above way and worn even with polos look very elegant.
    This is what I am in the process now of switching all my pants to after wearing belts for so long.
    I'm not suggesting everyone copy Apparel Arts images but a look at those guys, although highly stylised, tells you (me) they can look great.
    it looks like you are consciously aiming for something classic and different from what is the obvious and common choice.

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

Haha I know! My wardrobe went reductive when I lost 10kg last year!

1 person likes this.
  19. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

fxh's philosophy is casual DB jackets are a bit of an oxymoron. I tend to agree with him.

20. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I've got heaps of side tab trousers and have started to move away from them a bit (for odd trousers). For no reason other than my weight fluctuates a bit and once they get a bit loose they are impossible to keep up properly, so need to be made quite tight in the first place. Going to start using them for only suit trousers where I have brace buttons installed that I can wear slightly looser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.