1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoooh

appoooh Senior member

I bought a pair of Canali flannels from Henry Bucks at the start of autumn - presumably they've sold out now?

You can try the Canali boutique, Brooks Brothers or MJ Bale (they sell the "Bowes" grey flannel suit as separates). If stuff isn't on display then ask.

2. eightace

eightace Senior member

Try Voi, Castlreagh St just around the corner from King St, upstairs.

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Yeah, well screw you tooski.

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Spectre, what's this you keep bangin' on about..."our club"?

One minute you're joining the Kelvin Club and next minute it's "our club". Are the Australian forumnites mounting a hostile takeover of KC?

If so, I'm in. Great place, and I fancy the idea of hanging around talking massive amounts of shite with you and Gezza.

However, fxh must also be inducted, as he talks shite more massively than anybody. Even through fractured dentition.

1 person likes this.
  5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Why thank you coxxy.

1 person likes this.
  6. spectre

spectre Senior member

The idea is in its infancy. We were bemoaning the other day over lunch the lack of black tie events, so we decided we should hold our own formal evenings of wining and dining.
    I simply put up the Kelvin club as a place we could meet if I or a couple joined. You don't need sponsoring, it's about $500 a year. They have private function rooms, but so do nice restaurants which is another option.
    Early suggestions would be we meet about half a dozen times a year, partners included, or on your own. Black tie an absolute must. And we just eat, drink and talk crap. Cigars would be nice...I don't smoke but there are good electric versions around so you can pose.
    I came up with rather banal name of the Penguin Club but wife suggested The Posh Penguins, which I like. Still open to suggestions on everything about this so everyone please chip in.
    As an aside, after 40 years as a sports reporter I quit full time but have ended my self-imposed ban on watching AFL now and a year later I switch on TV to see footy players on panel shows looking like they just walked out of a tailors store. Pocket squares everywhere - and well done too.

7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Well, that sounds like a sterling suggestion, old chap.

Many moons ago, I did a rotation through St Thomas' Hospital in London for final year med. The "Tommy's" students would regularly organise DJ parties. Chaps in tuxedos, the gels would wear ball gowns. Everyone would get blind drunk and usually there would be a food fight. I'm not suggesting that for your proposal, but the idea of "any excuse to get dressed up in formal wear" is an excellent one. And anyone turning up in tails and white tie should not have to pay.

If we don't do it, nobody will. Melbourne needs this.

8. spectre

spectre Senior member

We need this I agree. I'm sure we could muster a fair mob even for the inaugural meeting. Good to see enthusiasm.
    Edit: Note to self. Don't get too excited until you actually have dinner suit made.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  9. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

I too am needing to order a tuxedo/dinner suit.

I was reluctant to order from luxire because the only picture I have seen posted of a luxire tuxedo looked a little bit ordinary to my untrained eyes

[​IMG]

Also, I was unsure of how, if at all, the measurements would need to be changed for a dinner jacket from my normal suit jackets.

What instructions are you going to give re: the pattern and measurements?

1 person likes this.
  10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I have a Canali DJ which, oddly enough, is marked "Made In Australia". Under licence, I imagine. Certainly it's at least 10 years old, maybe 15, meaning pre-Canali Boutique days. At that time I think their only outlet was David Jones and I'm pretty sure that's where I bought it. It's nice, fits well, pretty standard cut with grosgrain shawl collar and trouser side piping, although I suspect the base material is not of particularly high quality.

I'll be back in Shanghai next week and am seriously considering commissioning an evening coat (i.e. tails), matching pents, and an off-white waistcoat. This is the kind of ensemble one might get an opportunity to wear once every five years or so, and therefore not worth spending top dollar on. Shanghai is therefore the perfect place - many of the tailoring booths at Xinyang Market have evening coats on display and their workmanship is mostly more than adequate. Perhaps I should supply the fabric.

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

The wombat club.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I like that!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. fxh

fxh Senior member

wombat - eats, roots,shoots and leaves.

14. Gerry Nelson

So it's going to be THAT kind of club, is it?

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

blahman - come back - all is forgiven.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Note - in blahmans absence Henry Carter holds all distribution, branding and trademark rights over "Henry the wombat". [​IMG]

17. spectre

spectre Senior member

That's good too. Maybe we should take a vote after we get enough suggestions.

18. spectre

spectre Senior member

Tails Coxy? You aiming for free admission? Maybe we could have white tie end of year night or something but if it's tails I'll definitely be going for something cheapish from Asia.
    I love that look the Royals have on big occasions, with tails, chamois coloured waistcoat, pale blue shirt with white collar and small patterned tie.

19. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

+1 - this has to be the advice, surely - along with polishing black toe-caps - I've spotted people with military experience who can get a patent look quickly.

After my first foray (in recent years) into the world of dinner suits, I have been performing at various Melbourne venues in mine..it is strictly specified that we must wear black - no exceptions. It breaks down to the occasional black suit (rare) but most people wear the correct turned-down collar with perhaps a quarter in turned-up collar. Some fit poorly and the occasional youngster has the ultra-skinny 'fitted' look.

A cummberbund is rare but you see them.

20. Gerry Nelson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.