1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

All of my odd jackets are the same length as my suit jackets.

Generally, it's the material or the pockets that make a point of difference - larger windowpane check, shepherd's check, fresco weave, lighter colours, patch pockets etc etc.

2. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

I tend to have my odd jackets 0.5 - 1 inch shorter but not a big deal for me... just looks less sporty

3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Thanks JM, the later parts you mention are generally what I was thinking and have looked for but when I looked at my other odd jackets I noticed they were all a bit shorter. Just picked up a quarter lined navy jacket, I guess being navy and a solid colour it had me questioning it more than the others I have but structure, pocket and texture wise its on point for an odd jacket.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Really I first bought some 8 years ago and the couple of business shirts I still have in rotation are fine, not see through at all. I have bought a couple of casual shirts a navy blue poplin and sky blue OCBD in the last year and they are fine. Good value for money as they are constantly on sale.

Today Lux magazine has an interesting article on T Shirts worth a read and mentions a brand Buck Mason any one own any?

5. lum

lum Member

hi guys, can anyone recommend where I can try on the higher end leather shoes in Sydney for sizing so that I can start purchasing online? I currently have 2 pairs of RM williams and a pair of florsheim (yeah, I know..) which I rotate but hoping to expand it. In particular Carmina and the higher end of Loakes (I think it's the 1440 that everyone rates highly?)

Also, I'll be going to Japan for a week or so in December, is there anything I should look out for in terms of fashion to check out/consider buying? I'm so sick of being restricted in Aus! but haven't had a chance to go the the US yet.

Thanks for the advice

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Well I'm not a fan of wasting small businesses time (being a small business myself) so if your going to do it at least go to DJ's in the city and try the loakes on there. Even if they don't have the 1880 range they should have a few lasts that go accross different quality levels like the capital and 3625 etc.

I think Henry Bucks may now have Carmina in the Sydney store (don't quote me on that), no idea on price point but again I'd be quite against going in to try them on their and order online. YMMV

7. lum

lum Member

well of course if I could afford them I would buy them there, however I'll have to save for for a while first for shoes this price. And at present I wouldn't even know if they'd fit my foot/comfortable so I think it's a pretty reasonable thing to do. Are they very anal about these things?

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Whilst I'm inclined to agree with you Jason I think if a business wants to charge the Australia tax they should pay a little premium as well.

2 people like this.
  9. Henry Carter

You mean the retailer should pay a premium? Well they do already by not getting the business in the first place, but that doesn't mean their time should be wasted either.

I think certain things depend in this case. In the case of DJ's for example, then I couldn't give a shit because the service their is woeful to say it politely and they are a huge business turning over tens of millions. In the case of say double monk for example, yes they are a bit more expensive but it's 2 brothers running a small business trying to make a living. They bear the cost of importing in bulk, paying duty, paying freight and paying GST just to stock them in the store before anyone even sets foot in the door. Not to mention the rent and other overheads and the service factor there, which by all accounts is excellent.

I think if a business wants to charge a premium, for example I'd make a bet that Henry Bucks charge more than Double monk for the same shoe, then you should just make the decision not to support them in the first place. This is why I try my best not to stock any products that can be bought elsewhere.

@lum Welcome to the forum and I don't mean to get stuck in to you personally, I'm speaking generally here. I think more than ever retailers can sniff out people who want to try on and buy online because it happens so much, so the risk is yours I guess. I wouldn't do it personally because I have a lot of respect for people that take the risks to run small businesses in niche markets like the high end menswear industry.

1 person likes this.
  10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Henry Bucks are shameless gougers.

Double Monk are not.

1 person likes this.
  11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

We're not talking about Apple or Google here. What's called "The Australia tax" by semi-edgy people actually refers to the fact we have high wages, a high dollar, high rents etc.

Places like Henry Bucks which charge a small premium to online costs are hardly run by rent seeking fat cats.

You want to try on stuff at a small retailer and buy online, fine, that's your right as a consumer, but don't make yourself feel better by concocting some illusion that sellers are raking it in with unfair premiums.

2 people like this.
  12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I agree with your points, but it's also worth noting that Henry Bucks charges $250 more than Skoaktiebolaget in Sweden does for Carmina shoes, and Sweden is a country with high wages, high taxes and high real estate costs.

It is, however, a gross over-simplification of a complex situation when people talk about "the Australia tax". As you say, whilst I'm sure that some retailers make a mint, others aren't making much in the way of profits after paying expenses.

13. DartagnanRed

Yes I do appreciate that and it seems crazy. But I guess the flipside is maybe they need to make that margin in order to justify stocking stuff like Carmina in the first place to compensate for low volumes. We all know how small the market for this stuff is in Australia, hard to cover the rent selling things in low volumes at the same price as overseas sellers who are making millions of dollars in revenue a month (Probably not Skoatiebolognaise but I Imagine Herring and Pediwear do good trade.)

Apologies for typos and wording I am fair hungover. Bad decision to follow others to Ivy last night after work gig resulted in meeting a lot of wankers at Pool Bar (of course the key to rationalising going to Pool Bar is the view that everyone except yourself is a wanker). There was a bunch of blokes standing around in MTM Tom Ford and no socks who turned out to be a bunch of Harrolds guys trying to convince me to buy $3k MTM shoes.

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

For the record I don't shop, visit or go near any of those places.

I am currently on the train to Sydney to purchase a Peacoat that is $50 more expensive than the US market price - I am happy to pay it.

I would not however, be prepared to pay $400-500 for a pair of Loakes at Henry Bucks when I can get them for $300 online without
    the bad attitude.

Don't try and blame wages or GST for what is often poor contracting and monopolistic practices.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    4 people like this.
  15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

It's the personal service you offer which will keep the customers paying a bit extra. If you just run your business like a warehouse, and your value proposition (reason for marking up) is simply that you have a physical shoe to try on, then you can expect customers to take advantage of that element - i.e. try on your stock - and then go and order online.

2 people like this.
  16. cemi1988

cemi1988 Well-Known Member

I think retailers should be wary of judging walkins as 'tyre-kickers' or as people looking to use their business as a free fitting service.

A few weeks ago I attended a well regarded store with a view to making a specific purchase there and then. I knew I was going to pay a premium to purchase from a brick and mortar store and was happy to do.

Once at the store I was treated with contempt by the sales assistant, who may have also been the owner. Needless to say, I didn't end up completing the purchase and will never return to the store.

1 person likes this.
  17. Henry Carter

In the case of Loakes for example, they have an Australian distributor/agent here and you can't actually buy directly through Loake if you are an Australian retailer. Many people would have no idea that is the case but it goes someway to explaining why Pediwear or Herrings would be much cheaper. I guess you could say that's monopolostic in a way but it's Loake itself doing that not the retailers.

18. DartagnanRed

If Henry Bucks is being "monopolistic" they're not doing a very good job are they...

A portion of higher prices in Australia is due to gouging. A much larger portion is due to higher wages, higher rents, smaller populations, higher transportation costs, a high exchange rate and a multitude of other factors.

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Read the above about Loakes distribution arrangement. Why should I feel bad about them being put out over it?

Even factoring those in it doesn't make up for $200 or even double price mark ups.

Are you trying to be devil's advocate? The overwhelming experience of this forum towards HB has been negative. I'd rather support DJs.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. DartagnanRed

How many times have do I have to outline the other reasons, let me dumb this right down.

Rent expensive. Not many people in Australia. Even less people who like good shoes. If you want to sell, you need to cover rent. Not enough shoes to be sold to cover rent if same price as shoes overseas. Response is to increase price of shoes. Ideal? No, but you need to cover rent, pay people and maybe have enough left over to pay yourself.

Follow the above instructions and congratulations, you're an Australian menswear retailer. Exciting stuff, but watch out because now you'll have to hear constant opinions on how you're gouging customers from edgy youth who watched the Q&A episode where they found out that Adobe Creative Suite costs more in Australia than the US and think they're being persecuted one comparatively higher priced product at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.