1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dammit

dammit Active Member

Can someone recommend some good looking shoes to wear with suits/work environment? I'm not in a super corporate environment but I do like to look good.

I currently wear Ben Sherman Oscar black leather shoes which I think might be superseded now. Anyway I find they look good, but my feet are killing by the end of a 12hr day, possibly because it just is straight leather sole with no padding/cushioning?

This is the best photo of them online I could find.
    [​IMG]

Can someone recommend a similar type of shoe that is going to actually be comfortable and last (and also not cost a bomb either!). I know I'm asking a lot :)

I was originally going to look at Florsheim shoes because I heard some recommendations that they were comfortable, similar like Hush Puppies but actually had better styles than Hush Puppies. But from what I read on this forum Florsheim are not that highly regarded at all..and quality may not be good.

I've noticed in Australia a lot of men wear slip on/no lace shoes with suits, etc. Generally from what I read with style guides these are not very recommended at all, most suggest even oxford over derby style for that extra touch of class. What sort of work shoes do you all wear in Aus?

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

A pair of black RM Williams.

If I wanted a shoe if probably go a black cap oxford or dark brown brogue by either Loake 1880 or Meermin.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. lennier

lennier Senior member

I prefer Lewin to CT at that price point. They (generally) have unfused collars and cuffs (CT are always fused as far as I can tell) and the cut seems a bit better, at least for me.

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

Please stop.

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

why? I would agree with Oli2012, RMWs are the most comfortable shoes I have, and I have the leather soled version.

1 person likes this.
  6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm not up on their different cuts and styles at present, but a friend of mine has some TM Lewin shirts and the collar points are quiet short. Other than that, the TM Lewin shirts do look nice, but the collar points are too short for my taste whereas the Charles Tyrwhitt collar points on their typical "English spread" collar have a nice length.

7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Not starting a shitfight, but it is 'what I wear'.

You can do a lot worse.

1 person likes this.
  8. dammit

dammit Active Member

So you mean something like this?

http://shop.davidjones.com.au/djs/en/davidjones/elland-lace-up-toe-cap

Look great, but I really can't afford $400. :(

Funny you should mention RMW's. I just bought a pair of chestnut comfort craftsman yearlings, to add as a staple to my wardrobe. I imagine they will hopefully be super comfortable, but I figure I probably shouldn't wear them every day as the leather needs to rest.

So I will either need to get a second pair of RM's if I really like them (these will be my first pair...so will see how I find them) or buy a pair of black dress shoes to alternate with.

Is it a case of all of these oxford style dress shoes are going to hurt your feet/make your feet sore after wearing them for a full 12 hr day at work? And the quality made/more expensive ones simply last longer but not be more comfortable? Should I be investing in better socks or comfort insoles or something? It could be travelling hours on the train and long work hours just make me want to rip my shoes off!

9. meister

meister Senior member

This.

10. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

+1

I've also found the cuffs on the CT shirts are ridiculously big and the TML ones much more proportional.

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

no better socks for insoles will make poor fitting shoes better, you most likely wearing poorly fitting shoes, in another words its shape isn't designed for your feet. Buying more expensive shoes will not help if the fit doesn't improve.

1 person likes this.
  12. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

I'll add a +1 to this.

Haven't bought either for a few years now (3 or so), but in addition to what others have pointed out about cuffs and collars, the TM Lewin fabrics are a little more solid (thicker perhaps) than the CT fabrics. CT are damned near see-through (which is OK if that's your thing), whereas the TM leave a little more to the imagination. Also, the TM fits are not quite as blousey as the CT shirts when comparing their OCBDs (which are wither S, M or L).

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

As well as having some of both TML & CT myself I do see millions quite a few of them used etc. In general they are much of a muchness except for minor details and preferences.. Both seem to wear/wash/degrade/last/stand up reasonably well.
    But.
    Each do seem to have some different materials inside their ranges. Some I see are like paper thin and feel like stiff paper a bit. Others are more substantial, softer and nicer. Like women. I can't recall but I think the thicker nicer ones are called something like "luxury" or similar within each brand. And possibly the thinner ones are non-iron? One brand has pockets as a paid extra and one has a choice of two lengths on each cuff - 3/6 buttonholes - on double cuffs - for adjustment, the other doesn't.

14. hallph

hallph Member

Good feedback - thanks.
    I'll get dark brown and black business pairs - leaning towards cap toe blutchers for both as my workplace isn't extremely formal (engineering & asset management). Should I need them for a formal occasion, it's likely nobody will notice the open laces.

And for something less formal, the medium pebble brown longwing is a good option. I'll see if they have a medium brown smooth version of this.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  15. lennier

lennier Senior member

Actually yes I forgot when I wrote this that they recently changed their cuts, generally for the worse. The collars got smaller and the 'slim' fit lost the darts and was generally less well fitting (for me) than previously. Hopefully this may be temporary attempt at trend-following that will cease at some point. That aside they're still pretty good, and I've not yet tried the updated 'fitted' cut to see if that now works better for me than before.

16. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Trying to find one more bloke to complete a group MTO over on the Gentlemen's Footwear thread.

For those few of you who don't know, a "group MTO" (made to order) is where a non-standard shoe configuration (i.e. combo of material, colour, design, sole type etc) is commissioned from a shoemaker - in this case Carmina - and a sufficient number of interested parties are subscribed to the order, thereby avoiding the usual hefty extra manufacturer's fee for ordering a non-standard shoe.

OK, so here's the order we are putting together:

Quote: We need six subscribers to get this awesome GMTO up. We currently have five. Pricing is very reasonable, but you would need to discuss details directly with Steve at Gentlemen's Footwear (via PM).

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I meant more something like this:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=2388

See how much higher the quality of the leather is?

You might be able to try a pair on at Henry Bucks (make sure you tell them afterwards 'you'll think about it' and run away with your tail between your legs).

18. wurger

wurger Senior member

Enrico Santi carries Loake and it sells them at a very reasonable price. Shop is at 370 Pitt st.

19. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Maybe a strange question but do odd jackets have to be shorter to avoid looking like an orphaned suit jacket or can they be the same length providing there's other points of separation eg structure, material, pockets etc.

20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

In a very limited range.

The saleswoman has a very thick Chinese accent too, which makes buying shoes very difficult for a noob...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.