1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

Have to say I really like it. And am admiring your DB suit as well.

I know you mentioned the photos wasn't the best, but am curious whether the top picture the true colour - navy blue I presume? The picture below looks dark grey but also looks great.

I'm not sure about the yellow PS (and not a great fan of lapel pins). It's a minor detail and it's not that it doesn't work - I just feel that a different colour - maybe white for instance - would nail it.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I am definitely after the experience that Nepal will give me over HK right now. HK might be the next travel destination, I'm not sure yet.

I just don't know how I'm going to cope with no #menswear when I'm over in Nepal.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

sometimes you make me proud of you.

4. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

Maybe someone needs to justify their giant bottle opener

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

You'll certainly appreciate your current life and disposable income levels much, much more once you've been somewhere like Nepal.

When I was tramping around Asia, I sometimes felt quite guilty about how wealthy I was in comparison to the locals. Even though I was trying to travel on just a few dollars a day, the fact that I was wearing $300 hiking boots and that my pack cost as much or more again was just inconceivable to the locals, most of whom earned $1 a day or less. In other words, my shoes cost almost as much as a year's salary for most of the locals whom I met.

It can be very confronting when you realise just how poverty-stricken a lot of people in such countries are, and how affluent we are in comparison, and how we take so much of our affluence and good fortune for granted (not only our affluence, but our creature comforts, such as clean water, hot water on demand, a generally well-functioning democracy and so on).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Buy a Swatch

7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

From an op shop.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

The suit is navy. The pin is not something I ususally wear, it's a Legacy pin for this week's fund-raiser. I lean towards white PS with this outfit myself, but decided to try something just a bit different this time.

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I like it. Has a certain womanly tenor about it.

10. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

PapaR. It was minimum order 3 shirts. They let me order two button downs and one polo. I had the first shirt delivered to check fit before delivering the other 2. You'll have the shirts nailed with the fitting. I had measurements only and Nelson did a standout job. So comfy.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Way too Post Modern for my tastes looks like interpretation of the original Coke bottle which was an interpretation of Botticelli's Venus.:)

WH Taylor have a 20% discount off all plain shirts tsts10

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Having lived in Shanghai for seven years, that's exactly what I was thinking about.

The World Financial Centre tower (above), had it been built as originally conceived by Kohn Pedersen Fox, would have been one of the purest and most stunning architectural icons of our age.

[​IMG]

Then some idiot local got the daft notion that the "hole" symbolised the Rising Sun of Japanese imperialism (see, the project was being funded by a Japanese company). A media campaign was whipped up, design changes were forced, and Shanghai ended up the laughing stock of the architectural world, with a giant bottle-opener dominating its skyline.

You get the building you deserve, I guess. That's what worries me about this 90-storey project for Melbourne. It's a second-rate attempt at a "voluptuous" skyscraper, all the rage these past few years, and as usual we're playing design catch-up via a giant copycat turkey of a building which will serve as an all-too-visible reminder of our civic myopia for the next hundred years.

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

[​IMG]

14. The Ernesto

Most new buildings in Melbourne are turkeys. Might as well have a curvy one.

15. The Ernesto

Client of yours?

1 person likes this.
  16. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Actually the Eureka building, currently our tallest, isn't too bad. At least there was some attempt at originality. And on the whole I would rate Melbourne's skyscraper stock as not so bad. But this proposed Spencer Street building would completely dominate everything else, and I just don't think it's good enough.

17. crstov

crstov Member

Well, lets be honest, our jobs are hardly conducive to peak physical fitness.

Filson definitely looks more practical. Given the retail on the Ralph Lauren I'd be scared to kick around with it, especially considering how beat up my leather briefcase is.

I've also been hanging out for a good leather duffel bag ever since we briefed Peter Dunning QC, and he came strutting into court late in a navy double breasted with folders spilling out of his duffel.

18. crstov

crstov Member

Speaking of Hong Kong, and architecture, when I was over there I was told that the sharp angles of the Bank of China tower were designed to appear aggressive and assert China's dominance over Hong Kong. Also explains the departure from the feng shui design style.

[​IMG]

19. The Ernesto

Eureka is a missed opportunity for me. The execution at the top is awful, but the general form is pretty good I'll agree.

I don't think the Spencer St building will end up looking like that drawing. They rarely ever do. It's either worse than expected or just different most of the time.

Have you seen this one on Russell Street?

https://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/cbd-east-end/abode-318-318-russell-street-melbourne

http://s20.postimg.org/8hbnet49p/DSC_6308.jpg

And there is this one planned for the Spencer St end as well:

https://urbanmelbourne.info/projects/melbourne/568-collins-street-melbourne

20. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

That sounds like a paranoid honky or maybe a puffed-up mainland nationalist speaking. Fact is, the BOC building was designed by I M Pei (of Louvre fame) in the 80s, long before China and the UK had even signed a deal on the future of Hong Kong.

"Abode" sucks. Just a box with some trendy fancy stuff tacked-on to one facade. Terrible.

568 looks like it might have promise, although there's no full-height pic on that website.

Edit: I erroneously referred to Pei's tower as having "started life as the HSBC Tower", which is incorrect. It was indeed always the BOC Tower.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.