1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

OK - so I have a fairly generic body - is there a reason to get pleats other than the look and a bit of comfort? Finding affordable linen pants is somewhat of a challenge - I could get SS to make me up some, but it's over double the cost of luxire, and I don't know how much I care about marginal improvements, frankly. So are well made pelats marginally better?

2. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

...so have we run out of clothing things to talk about and that's why small things and being blown out of proportion for what I assume is entertainment value?

if so im totes getting pumped for summer, going into new territory with full linen and loafers this summer.

3. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Enjoy your trip, PapaR! Pick up some awesome Ring jacket blazers and update us with photos along the way :)

Yeezus, MSy. What have you done...

4. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Back on topic. My seven month wait is over. Just got my email from No Man Walks Alone.

My Stephan Schneider Frozen Waves Merino Coat arrived.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

If my pants wore like this I'd be so content:
    [​IMG]

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

@PapaRubbery :

Don't forget Tassels shoe store in HK. It's in the next block over from The Armoury, just on the other side of Pedder St.

Din Tai Fung (the dumpling place) is great. I think that they've got a few restaurants in HK now, but I've only been to the one in a shopping mall in Tsim Sha Tsui (over the harbour from HK Island). The xiao long bao and the green beans with pork mince were delicious and you can eat well for AU$20.

The Cat Street Markets on HK Island are a great place to wander around, as well as a great place to pick up some knick-knacks for your home or for gifts. I got some lovely, antique ivory netsuke there some years back.

Catch the Star Ferry across HK harbour - it's much slower than the MTR (subway), but it's a great ride and very scenic.

Catch a tram on HK Island, and make sure you sit upstairs, right up the front. It's almost as good as an amusement park ride, as the trams head straight towards each other before suddenly jinking to one side onto a different set of rails.

Catching the funicular railway (the Peak Tram) up to the top of the Peak is also good, but I've heard that it's often very, very busy nowadays so it's best to get there first thing in the morning if at all possible. The Peak Café has a lovely, paved courtyard out the back with great views down the back of HK Island to Deep Water Bay and Repulse Bay.

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

JimmyH, chill out bro.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Sup TBM?

Bought anything nice lately?

9. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Ralph Lauren in TST is also a popular place amongst aussie members. I think its on one of the corners of the peninsula hotel.

If you are into watches you may want to check out the area in TST in front of the giant Zegna advertising and beside the Peninsula hotel. A lange and sohne, patek philippe, audemars piguet etc are all there.

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Good post, Fred.

1 person likes this.
  11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

There's also a Michellin star'd restaurant at Hong Kong station - underground. It was definitely a high light.

Also, IT is amazing (the streetwear store).

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Look, let's settle this once and for all. I know who DR is. He's a judge - Judge Dartagnan Redd also known as Judge D.Redd.

Stallone played him in a movie.

Enough said.

2 people like this.
  13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Matt - theres a lot of conflicting talk about pleats. Some of it nonsense. Even respected writers seem to have opposing opinions on pleats. Tailors too.

My conclusions from reading, wearing and observing others, the last perhaps most useful:: Firstly pleats are mainly a fashion or personal preference. They go in and out of fashion in the mainstream. I've had trousers with triple pleats, double pleats, reverse and forward and single pleats and flat fronts. These days I prefer flat front on everything but I have a few single pleats on suits.

IMO anything more than single pleats doesn't look good without a jacket. I'm not saying it isn't possible to see a photo of a double pleat trouser that looks good but in general they make it hard to get the long slim look flowing smoothly from top to bottom. They have a tendency to take the eye toward the hips area and make it look blousey. In theory and often in practice, pleats allow for expansion around the hips, pockets and thighs. (However unless your trousers waist is above the hips then the pleats allowance will be below the hips.) This extra allowance is mostly used when sitting down as the bum and thighs spread out somewhat. For some people, say with bigger thighs, pleats may be useful when walking to minimise wear at thighs. . Depending on how much bum and thighs you have pleats maybe not only useful but necessary. If you have a skinny bum, no thighs etc you don't "need" pleats and they might even add too much material around that area.

Pleats work best with trousers that are not fitted tightly. If you like your trousers tight above the crutch and/ or low rise than pleats don't work. The heavier the material eg wool the better pleats drape back when you stand. The skinnier the trouser leg the harder to make pleats work well. Deep pleats usually look better than shallow. A fuller trouser leg, which is probably due to make a fashion comeback, both works better with pleats and possibly even needs them. Linen doesn't stretch and return so pleats maybe be useful. In general linen also looks better with a looser fit.

The historical norm is no pleats (and really no front centre crease). Pleats and a front crease are a "modern" fashion.

2 people like this.
  14. fxh

fxh Senior member

I thought he was one of the The Three Musketeers or was that The 3 Mouseketeers? or perhaps The Ninja Turtles?

15. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Tim Ho Wan, Hong Kong Station. Their main store is packed as, all the time.

Monocle Store is also worth a quick look. The Agnes B cafe is also half decent. Man, eat your way through HK. What a place for food.

If you really want a whangee umbrella on the cheap, there's Leung So Kee

17. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

So a shit tonne of comments just got deleted. Didn't know mods came in here.

18. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They don't really unless posts are flagged or mods are pm'd. It's a fairly self moderating thread usually.

19. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Which comments actually got deleted though? I can't see?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.