• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an objective observer, Melbourne leaves Sydney bare assed.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couldnthaveknow - you can still get the wrong size even when trying on in B&M shops.
Shoe fitting is both a science and an art especially in dress shoes.
You have the customer's, often idiosyncratic, ideas of aesthetics to consider as well as objective, and sometimes subjective, issues of fit on 3 dimensions.
Plus the issue of a limited range of styles and lasts in the shop, and/or brand, and, going by some sales persons footwear, an almost willful ignorance of fit and style.

Given the above is a miracle that some people get fitted at all.

Its worth putting some time into analysing what it is about your unique feet, and they are unique, that is causing the difficulties.

Is it width at the heel or ball or elsewhere, is it long toes, narrow feet, flat feet, high arch, fat heel skinny heel or something else.

You also have to compromise on lasts - that skinny pointy shoe may never work for you - or brands - some won't work.
You may have to accept that closed lacing is a big restricting factor.
Chukkas or ankle boots are possible the most forgiving in terms of good fit.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couldnthaveknow - you can still get the wrong size even when trying on in B&M shops.
You have the customer's, often idiosyncratic, ideas of aesthetics to consider as well as objective, and sometimes subjective, issues of fit on 3 dimensions.
Plus the issue of a limited range of styles and lasts in the shop, and/or brand, and, going by some sales persons footwear, an almost willful ignorance of fit and style.

Its worth putting some time into analysing what it is about your unique feet, and they are unique, that is causing the difficulties.

Is it width at the heel or ball or elsewhere, is it long toes, narrow feet, flat feet, high arch, fat heel skinny heel or something else.

You also have to compromise on lasts - that skinny pointy shoe may never work for you - or brands - some won't work.

Quoting in full because it bears repeating!

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're an inspiration FXH. Sending my Carmina's back. Gotta get that perfect fit.Don't want that heel slip. Church's fit is perfect though.

Last edited:

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Further to MJ Bale sale. Their product code is Zeus25, l reckon as SF members we should use Foxxy's demi god status for an extra 25%...

Im going to try Fox50....

Respect the Fox!

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score

Thanks good sir, excellent advice

I've been battling this affliction, hammer toe, my whole life. I've even joined a hammer toe support society, where we mostly talk in hushed tones about the shame wearing hush puppies, ecco and step tronic brings upon our families and our ancestors. Ok just joking, but the hammer toe thing is real, hence my quest for a shoe that fits.

The problem is only my left foot, and only the pinky toe, which seems to rub against everything and is tres f-ing painful. I have thought about chopping it off. Just joking. Not really.

My goal is to find a last (or 2 if I'm lucky) that is really comfortable for me, and I'll just stick with it. I have worked out that chukkas are more forgiving, and suede is softer, hence that's my focus for the time being. I'm working through Church's lasts now - their chukka is last 81... still in the hopes of trying something comparable on at DJs

Christian Kimber has offered to send his chukkas for me to try on... might have to take him up on the offer next week...

JayH

Reaction score
Guys could ask for a bit of help - look for some brown suede chukka boots. Idea is to have something wearable for work but also weekends and also I don't have any suede shoes yet (so the purchase is definitely justified, definitely).

Problem is my feet are fat (phat), and so need a G fitting (or EEE or extra wide). I'm having a bit of trouble finding something (I'm still pretty noob at this)

I must try the shoes on for comfort, otherwise buying shoes online is just an expensive experiment which I've failed at many times (note: when they tell you "just wear it for a week it'll stretch", what they actually mean is "nice try but 14 day money back return is just a sound we make, dun mean anything"

I've tried on the Loake 026 last at DJs in G fitting but it actually rubs and hurts. C&J dont have any suede boots in a G fit and I can't figure out what the Church's suede boots (weekend) last is. I don't know of any other brands I can try here in Sydney.

I'm largely comparing against RMW, because their 10.5 H is an ok fit and its 250 at the factory outlet. m nervous about spending like half a g note on school shoes given the amount of arse kicking they will need to do joking.

Anyway, any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
I think Meermin do one in a chode last, although if you need them within the next month look elsewhere.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks good sir, excellent advice
I've been battling this affliction, hammer toe, my whole life. I've even joined a hammer toe support society, where we mostly talk in hushed tones about the shame wearing hush puppies, ecco and step tronic brings upon our families and our ancestors. Ok just joking, but the hammer toe thing is real, hence my quest for a shoe that fits. 
The problem is only my left foot, and only the pinky toe, which seems to rub against everything and is tres f-ing painful. I have thought about chopping it off. Just joking. Not really. 
My goal is to find a last (or 2 if I'm lucky) that is really comfortable for me, and I'll just stick with it. I have worked out that chukkas are more forgiving, and suede is softer, hence that's my focus for the time being. I'm working through Church's lasts now - their chukka is last 81... still in the hopes of trying something comparable on at DJs
Christian Kimber has offered to send his chukkas for me to try on... might have to take him up on the offer next week...

I assume you have seen a up to date podiatrist and discussed surgery with them. I'm not up with the pros and cons of surgery for the toe. It might be worth investigating.

A podiatrist will be able to suggest more conservative options as well. Make sure is someone trained fairly recently (last 20 years or so) and who keeps up to date with rehab methods etc. They should also be able to help with describing what other foot issues you have. It is common* if you have something like a hammer toe to be so focused on the PROBLEM, especially if its painful, that you are in fact missing other important issues in fitting a shoe. Like high arches etc and it may be that your predominant issue is only part of what causes shoes fitting problems.

I 'm sure one of the USA brands, (is it Alden?), has a "orthotic" last. Others will remember.
You can also stretch specific parts of the shoe - if its just one toe poking out you can stretch just that bit. You can buy special stretching shoe trees that have various plugs for doing that - it isn't a very expensive option and works well.

You can also do things like go down a half size but in a wider fitting. Say from 9F to 8.5G

* Its a common thing in all health issues.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds have an orthotic range. I would judge you for wearing them, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads