1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

If they won't go online they are being fools to themselves and a burden to others.

1 person likes this.
  2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

From someone who has bought far too many shoes online that do not fit, I disagree entirely.

3. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

That Exquisite Trimming sales, doe....

If only I weren't saving up for a watch.

1 person likes this.
  4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Guys like that really have to try them on - online is only for selected idiots. (no names - but you whistle and I'll point)
    The Floresheim store, (Russell & Bourke??) isn't all that bad for that sort of thing foxy. Put all iGent forum stuff out of your head, or modify it and get sensible for blokes like that. Actually I cant remember the Floresheim prices. Might be higher. Also Mountfords when they have a sale. But their different stores carry different lines, so its a bit hit and miss at times. Tolleys have Barkers but I haven't seen prices.

For very low cost, low usage "dress" shoes I recommend Rivers - theres a few styles, captoe and brogue, there for around $40, in black, that look better than most common shoes and if only used or interviews etc will look good and last. And I've seen acceptable stuff at reasonable prices in H&M

edit:: Don't take any notice of Ernie - hes bonkers.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. The Ernesto

Because you spend and acquire like a drunken, wealthy hip hop sailor.

There's much less risk if you actually deal with knowledgeable people like the ones at Herring and AFPOS and have the nuts to try on at the rip off merchants like DJs or McLeods.

Herring make great shoes for the price and the service and advice is fantastic.

And don't worry about fxh, as far as he is concerned the train left the station a long time ago.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Trouble is DJs have hardly any Loakes at all these days and none from 1880 range last I swept through. Herring are good but foxy is talking about blokes who don't really want to think about these things. At all mostly. And will have only worn sneakers - which is a totally different experience. Just explaining to someone why a simple - ish black shoe without any fancy stuff or square toe is a good idea is hard enough. Most men ( and from what I observe perving observing - most women) know 2/5th of SFA about shoe fit too.

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

unfortunately, the A-2 jacket in M is massive for me, even though it says normal fit, haha, may be in US.

time to return! or anyone wants to pick it up for $300 AUD, rrp $345 USD.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Especially when you are new to shoe-buying and don't really know what the shape of your foot is like, or what brands suit you, or what lasts from particular brands suit you, I definitely think that it makes sense to try on shoes at bricks-and-mortar stores before buying online.

I think that it also pays to take things slowly at first, not only so you have time to figure out what fits your feet before you splurge on lots of shoes, but also so that you get a feeling for what styles you prefer before splurging on lots of shoes.

Otherwise, you may not only end up with shoes that don't fit, but you may end with shoes that you don't like, that don't fit you.

As an anecdotal example, when I was young, I always thought that I had quite wide feet, because shop assistants would often put me into wider shoes. It wasn't until I did a bit of reading about shoes and then tried on a pair of Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues in an EEE width, only to find that the "v" of the laces was still far apart and that it felt as though the top of my foot was being squeezed in a vice, that I realised that my feet weren't wide, but that I actually had a high instep and that it was my instep that was causing the fit issue.

Were it not for that realisation, once I discovered SF, I probably would have squandered thousands of dollars on ill-fitting, unnecessarily wide shoes but, thankfully, I was able to concentrate on discovering shoes with high insteps, much to the relief of my feet.

9. The Ernesto

Well, then off they scuttle.

10. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Thanks, I'll definitely recommend Floresheim. Thanks for the reminder of Rivers, I remember you posted about them a while ago, and I checked them out. They seemed much nicer than anything any of the usual suspects(Aquilla etc) had on offer. You try convincing an 17yo to wear shoes from Rivers. H&M might be a good idea.
    The blokes at Herring are great, and AFPOS seems like a decent place, they have good deals, but these guy's aren't going to shop online. If they were I'd be sending them straight to Meermin.
    I am still yet to see any Loakes at DJ's, though I have not been to a store in a very long time. These guys also only really wear sneakers, and don't want to drop cash on shoes they will wear maximum 5 times in the next 5 years, which is very understandable.

11. freedblackslave

freedblackslave Member

Unless they are a sneaker-head or already own nice shoes, most guys will cringe if shoes cost more than $100. It's sad when someone has a well-fitting suit with a good tie and PS combo, only to be brought crashing down with elf shoes from Julius Marlow.

Especially if you don't wear suits often, I think dress shoes are a better spend because your feet are unlikely to change. It's mercenary, but you could suggest to your friends to try on shoes locally then buy online. Herring shoes have Loake 1880s for around $315 + shipping, Pediwear should be similar.

Minor edits made***

12. The Ernesto

I think my feet are getting smaller. How can this be happening?

13. thebov

thebov Member

I am just happy that people in sydney now can touch and feel ae shoes we read about here again though I never knew that peter sheppard held them. So thumbs up on bringing them to aus but thumbs down on the price. Like others say you can get better price online even on amazon with free shipping if I am not mistaken

1 person likes this.
  14. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Fxh's suggestions are the best.

You can politely suggest something like Loakes for the reason of aesthetics, materials and construction, but if they really like the look of pointy shoes from Julius Marlow or Aquila, then good on them. At least they are buying something that makes them feel confident and comfortable. Buy what you like. There's nothing worse then walking around in something like a pair of shoes because someone else said it 'should be worn' 'or wear these because they are classically beautiful'. Not everyone has the same sense of style, and nor should they.

We're all on here because we share a 'similar' style (for CMW at least), not because we share the 'right' style.

1 person likes this.
  15. thebov

thebov Member

Oh and also on my lunch break I stopped by DjS and saw churchs on sale but none of the derbies and oxfords tho. There was a loafer on sale for 300 the elveden. Looks like a discontinued model

16. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I've dropped half a size in shoes. I don't know what sorcery this is. In fact, I'm down 1 whole size in some shoes: same maker, same last (granted, different upper).

17. The Ernesto

Holy hell.

18. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

1 person likes this.
  19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I usually tell people RM Williams.

It's almost impossible to get a male my age to spend more than $100 on a pair of shoes that aren't sneakers.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I hope you guys have secured a significant other already.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.