1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I think Jason's spot on with the comment about the light - light is everything.

The beard really does add to it, right? [​IMG] I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

Dark brown suede and navy are always a great combination.

Brown and navy work well together - whether it's the shoes or the skin [​IMG]

Thank you both for the kind words!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

He is one cheeky Kurt I swear...

3. Gerry Nelson

Hope it will be Kurt-ains for him soon!

1 person likes this.
  4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No worries Gerry's is a little more saturated and I'm always conscious of the site photo's not being overly saturated as they can appear very shiny in stock photo's with the white background. Unfortunately you just can't have a professional website with natural light photo's, the conditions are too varied and un-controlled.

But, I'm happy to take criticism on my photos because a) I'm still learning and b) I'm not a photographer, just a guy who runs a small business. I use an entry level DSLR with a stock lens and some of my older photos have been crap admittedly, but in the last couple of months I've learnt how to use custom white balance and it was a revelation for me with getting accurate colours and a lot less to almost no colour correction post processing. I try to add a gallery photo of a natural light image on the mannequin but am yet to with this one. Might have to ask Gerry nicely if he'll let me use this one :) But at the end of the day, I'm still a photography noob....

5. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

The other variables are of course, the colour accuracy or lack thereof of the monitors used to process and view the image, and the use of the same colour space as the image in the monitor, OS and browser. That's why I always look around for multiple images of the item I'd like to purchase online, and most of the online sellers I've encountered are very obliging in giving a written description.

6. sliq

sliq Senior member

did you get yours from AFPOS? i need to retire my black suede desert boots soon.

7. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

I just bought the A7 and waiting for it to be delivered. How do you find it?

8. jacquiQ7

jacquiQ7 Active Member

I am no stranger to noobishness when it comes to photography as I rock my little Nikon D40 and 35mm lens but that was not what I was suggesting in the least with your site or photos. Please don't misunderstand. The photos are very informative but I feel, as you have now mentioned - that an 'out in the wild' photo of the tie, whether in natural or photo studio situations, just really hits the spot.

Of course you then run the risk of what FredAstaire mentions - customers suddenly claiming the ties don't look like the guy in the photo or whatnot because of said monitor or phone or lighting in the photo. Or maybe I'm complicating things.

9. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Senior member

Isn't it like one of those painter/artist things, where the colour of the background determines the look of the main object it is set against? Like a mid grey looks like the bright reflections of a lake on a moonlit night... Though to me, it does seem that Gerry's photo looks like it has a bit more R (and maybe B) in the RGB

10. Gerry Nelson

I really like it. At the same time, I used the RX100 for a year and a half so I didn't need to get used to the menu system on the A7. This is my first experience with a powerful camera like this so there's a lot to learn but I have no regrets with getting this one.

11. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

I bought the original RX100 a couple of years back and similarly was struck by upgrade-itis when I started reading the A7 reviews. I got the stock kit lens but suspect I'll be ponying up for one of the zeiss lenses sooner rather than later...

12. Gerry Nelson

Yeah, mine's the original RX100 as well. It took a good long while to convince myself to get a bigger camera but it was a good decision, I didn't get the kit lens but started with the 55 f1.8.

Truth be told, though, I still use the RX100 a lot. Being able to shoot in manual mode and in RAW is awesome with a camera that small.

13. logiclusion

logiclusion Well-Known Member

It looks like there's a few guys here that might appreciate how uncannily closely the colour was replicated in the two photos:
    I took a 10kpel sample at the brightest point on each tie, and the hue came in at 3° and brightness 43% on both, while the red channel on RGB sat at 6E vs 6D for Jason and Gerry respectively. The only significant difference is the 72% vs 82% saturation, and Gerry's tighter on the green and blue which increases the contrast.

The colours are actually almost identical, Gerry just has slightly higher contrast and saturation.

If you grab a grey card and just sit it outside where you'll crop the photos you can get pretty reliable colour reproduction (post can be done in about 8 clicks) and then all the faults are on the user's end.
    Shunt that responsibility onto the consumer.

3 people like this.
  14. Romp

Romp Senior member

sorry sliq cant remember where i got them - one of the UK shoe sites though. the black suede playboys would be great too! they fit wide.

re:cameras Gerry I ended up getting an a6000 body as I was too invested in the Nex glass (24 zeiss, 35 and 50 primes)

Havent regretted though - wifi is the big game changer for me - makes social media a breeze!

15. Gerry Nelson

Fair enough, Rob. The Wi-Fi aspect of the A7 is great as well. Definitely makes it easier for social media!

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Hey guys,

Where should I go for a classic Harrington jacket without the original Baracuta price?

17. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

You could try Luxire, it may well be better quality than the Baracuta.

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

More after OTR. I'm looking at Merc London and ASOS.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Guys will be in Sydney tomorrow and thursday on non HC business. If anyone is around Thursday morning and wants to catch up for brekkie/coffee around 8-8:30am around potts pt or darlo then shoot me a pm.

20. Gerry Nelson

Today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The shirt is the new/old Rubinacci - EUR20 off ebay ([​IMG]) and roomier than I'd like but works well. The tie is an older Henry Carter - very light and nice for the summer.

7 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.