1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

That's for after he wins.

3 people like this.
  2. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

Quote:I find East Dane (Sale section) and Gilt can be good for socks. I've gotten Pantherella ones from both, Corgi from East Dane, and Punto fron Gilt. A quick look at East Dane has Pantherella socks from $12...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

4. suttonzach

suttonzach Senior member

Quote:If you're not after an old school "gold watch" style timepiece you could try Mondaine or Braun too.

5. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Regarding the Chukka vs Chelsea, when I looked at RMW stores, the Signature Craftsman seemed more versatile and elegant than the RMW Chukka (Kingsvale). This honestly surprised me, however, I'm not sure if this would hold true with an English lasted Chukka. Perhaps it was the French calf on the Signature Craftsmen being superior to the leather on the Kingsvale?

What do people think about the versatility of a tan country grain chukka on dainite? I think it would be great with a sports jacket and odd trousers (afterall, I believe this look has country origins), and be very good for travel and sightseeing in moderate terrain. I only worry the tan colour might be out of place in the cbd in winter, even with a sports jacket or Harrington.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Ernie: Disappointed we didn't see you on Wednesday, by the way, did you end up choosing a console?

HC: It is really disappointing to see how TOJ has turned out, the product is amazing though, I love my two jackets and can't wait for my others to arrive. I am growing vastly impatient. There has been a bit of talk between Gerry and myself to go over to Seoul.
    Big Trouble in Little Seoul. We'll get fitted out @ B&T before hand, the theme music to be the soundtrack from any John Woo Movie.

As for Chukkas vs Chelseas, I much prefer Chelsea boots, and I think I'm in the minority here. I get a lot more wear out of my RMW's than I do my C&J Tetburry's. Both are black calf. I plan to pickup another pair of RMW on the macquarie last in the future, but in chocolate suede. In the end I think either will be suitable for what you're after. I do love the ease of throwing on Chelsea boots when in a rush.

As for watches, I've been wearing a Braun BN0024 for the last 18 months, before that it was a chunky G-Shock. I also have a Timex Weekender that I wear to work, fantastic watch, I really like the back light. The Braun is great, but I've been itching to get something a little better for a while now. I can't justify spending more than $400 or so without stepping up into the Speedmaster and Panerai territory, those being my dream watches. I've been looking at the Seagull 1963 Re-Issue for over a year now, and have always loved it. It was developed in 1961 for the Chinese Air Force. It was reissued a couple of years ago, and they have recently released a model with a white face as opposed to cream. I bit the bullet last week, and am expecting it to arrive soon. You can get the original re-issue for under $250 I believe.

Been looking at hats recently, for outdoors and to take to Nepal. Mum has been hassling me to buy a hat for when I'm doing stuff outside. I was looking at the SEH Kelly ventile Hat which will keep me nice and dry when I do get caught in the rain. Wasn't sold on the colours but I have been emailing Paul from SEH who is a great help. He did have a brown sample hat they made up and sold it to me at a great price. It's made of ventile, and has corduroy under the brim, it's really nice and really well made.
    I am exceptionally happy with it.This will be the first of many SEH purchases to come I'm sure. I really like a lot of the things they do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mum said I looked like Indiana Jones.

Foxhound and the Temple of Jawnz more like it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Toriiiiiino

Toriiiiiino Member

I don't mind paying that much for a pair :)
    Happen to know where i can buy?

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Well, for the record my evening consisted of a three hour meeting with FFV and club officials and then a three hour de-brief with me, the incoming president of our club and the president of the FFV. Got booted out of a cafe in South Melbourne at midnight.

We went ps4. Was well received and thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. For the record (version 2), I am a complete spaz at any type of video game (much to the amusement of others).

Off tonight to our club's AGM. No suit required.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

9 people like this.
  10. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

I've noticed that everybody seems to be leaving out Shoe Healer these days. Just curious if there's some reason, or it's just an oversight.

11. Gerry Nelson

No real reason on my part. I just don't know anyone who's bought shoes from there.

12. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

Maybe I can help. Thanks to all you SFrs willing to share your knowledge, I found out about the three of them.

I'd noticed that Richard from Shoe Healer had posted previously and ended up going with him. I like the Loake 1880 range and the 3625 and Capital last are a great for fit for me. Purchased a dark brown Aldwych and 2 Strands in Mahogany and Burgundy.

I found Richard to be genuinely helpful and we were able to fine-tune things nicely via email or livechat. He did a package deal on shoe trees and Sapphir polish (with free shipping) and the landed price was still substantially cheaper than the cost of the shoes alone in Sydney (if you could actually source the exact shoe you wanted, that is..).

I'm sure I'd have had a similarly good experience with Pediwear or Herring; and the prices are comparable. Just thought this might be helpful

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

Gez - those photos are great!

14. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, Rob! It's funny, I was only just thinking to myself that I should give you a heads up. They were taken with the Sony A7 and the 55mm F1.8 lens and I'm really happy with the way they've turned out. If they start turning out like this then gezzasmenswear is going to be a lot more active!

15. jas0nt

jas0nt Senior member

Good on ya ajc - great shoes and a great price. Wear in good health!

16. jacquiQ7

jacquiQ7 Active Member

Firstly, that tie colour looks so much better than the one on the website (no offense to HC).

Secondly, I am digging the photo and composition - the beard adds so much dimension to the photo [​IMG].

And finally, I'm digging the shoes with the navy. BTW I thought navy and darker skin was a fashion 'no, no'? It looks brilliant in that photo.

17. Gerry Nelson

Lots of spam on SF recently ...

18. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Senior member

Yep, my first thought was those colours are very Carl Zeiss!

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Gerry is a very good photographer. Just not really sure what you mean about the colour being different because they look almost exactly the same on Gerry's photo and the site photo. Also bear in mind that my photo's are studio photo's taken under artificial light, as opposed to natural light of Gerry's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jacquiQ7

jacquiQ7 Active Member

I may have worded things a bit wrong. It seems slightly more saturated in Gerry's photo. But funnily enough the photos in your post make the tie colours look very similar. Might have been the switching of tabs between Gerry's blog and your site. Or more likely as you say - natural vs artificial light. Either way, I now like the tie very much - seems to be on sale as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.