• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay guy's quick question, I am interested in the TOJ Minimalist Double Rider. They won't do it without the bottom zips, is it a big job for the zips to get removed / can I trust a tailor with this sort of work?

Do you mean that you don't want zips on the lower pockets?

Not being sure as to how the zips are stitched in, I'm hesitant to give any advice. To be quite frank, I don't think that it would be worth the trouble. Can't you just keep the pockets unzipped??

Also, where to cop OTR chinos and trousers with side tabs?

Almost nowhere, particularly if you like slim-cut trousers.

Keep an eye out for RL Polo or RL Black Label trousers on eBay as I've seen some odd trousers with side adjusters by both of those RL labels in the past.

Charles Tyrwhitt have sometimes done one or two pairs of wool trousers with side adjusters, but nothing exciting. I don't know if they've got any trousers with side adjusters in their range at present.

Generally, with the exception of RL Polo, I don't think that you'll find any US brands that make odd trousers or chino pants with side adjusters so your best bet is to do a search for UK clothiers that stock them. Although, having said that, I think that Epaulet might have had a pair of trousers with side-adjusters in their line-up, so it could be worth checking them out.

Actually, I take back what I said about US brands, as Paul Stuart also stocks quite a few pairs of odd trousers and chinos with side adjusters (also sometimes called side tabs). However, whilst excellent quality, Paul Stuart also charges a heck of a lot so unless you fancy paying $400 for a pair of trousers, don't bother.

I hate to say it, but your best bet might be to try getting a pair of trousers made-to-order by Luxire, as they don't appear to be terribly expensive and I know that a few people here seem happy with their orders from them.

Of course, it can sometimes take one or even two orders to really get your fit sorted out with a place like Luxire, so be aware that it will, in all likelihood, take some effort to get a product that you're really happy with.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay guy's quick question, I am interested in the TOJ Minimalist Double Rider. They won't do it without the bottom zips, is it a big job for the zips to get removed / can I trust a tailor with this sort of work?

Also, where to cop OTR chinos and trousers with side tabs?

The jacket looks good. What skin are you going for?
By bottom zips, do you mean the zips for the pockets? I would only trust a tailor who's comfortable working with leather and I can't name any off the bat. Why do you want them removed?

Trousers/chinos with side tabs - http://www.mjbale.com/clothing/2-trousers-for-300/herrera-stone-trouser

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GN, that's interesting - I didn't know that MJ Bale sold some trousers with side-adjusters. Two pairs for $300 seems attractive, but having a look at the photos, the construction quality doesn't really look so good, on that pair at least (single button closure at the front, stitching isn't particularly fine etc).

Further to my post above, I remembered that Howard Yount also has some trousers with side-adjusters (or "d-rings", as I think Jamison of HY calls them):

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/pants

Have a look down near the bottom and you'll see several pairs of trousers in both cotton and wool with d-ring side-adjusters.

Last edited:

Stiva

Reaction score

Anyone know how i can kick this habit? (or stoke the forge with some info on Terry Gasson?!)

London trained in proper apprenticeship. From a long line of Huguenot tailors living in the East End. I have two of his suits (H Lesser fabric) and an ivory wool dinner jacket. Very good quality. Responsive to client input, but applies a firm hand as necessary. Can be a bit slow. Price is relative. Cheap compared to Savile Row, but expensive compared to similar quality from WW Chan and other top end HK tailors.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Do you mean that you don't want zips on the lower pockets?

Not being sure as to how the zips are stitched in, I'm hesitant to give any advice. To be quite frank, I don't think that it would be worth the trouble. Can't you just keep the pockets unzipped??
Almost nowhere, particularly if you like slim-cut trousers.

Keep an eye out for RL Polo or RL Black Label trousers on eBay as I've seen some odd trousers with side adjusters by both of those RL labels in the past.

Charles Tyrwhitt have sometimes done one or two pairs of wool trousers with side adjusters, but nothing exciting. I don't know if they've got any trousers with side adjusters in their range at present.

Generally, with the exception of RL Polo, I don't think that you'll find any US brands that make odd trousers or chino pants with side adjusters so your best bet is to do a search for UK clothiers that stock them. Although, having said that, I think that Epaulet might have had a pair of trousers with side-adjusters in their line-up, so it could be worth checking them out.

Actually, I take back what I said about US brands, as Paul Stuart also stocks quite a few pairs of odd trousers and chinos with side adjusters (also sometimes called side tabs). However, whilst excellent quality, Paul Stuart also charges a heck of a lot so unless you fancy paying $400 for a pair of trousers, don't bother.

I hate to say it, but your best bet might be to try getting a pair of trousers made-to-order by Luxire, as they don't appear to be terribly expensive and I know that a few people here seem happy with their orders from them.

Of course, it can sometimes take one or even two orders to really get your fit sorted out with a place like Luxire, so be aware that it will, in all likelihood, take some effort to get a product that you're really happy with.

Yes, I'll just keep them unzipped.

It's a real pain hunting for trousers like this. I might go the Epaulet route, but the fit on the chinos wasn't that great imo. I'm after more darker colours. I have a pair of Acne WallStreet Grey trousers with button adjusters. They're so great.
The jacket looks good. What skin are you going for?
By bottom zips, do you mean the zips for the pockets? I would only trust a tailor who's comfortable working with leather and I can't name any off the bat. Why do you want them removed?

Trousers/chinos with side tabs - http://www.mjbale.com/clothing/2-trousers-for-300/herrera-stone-trouser
Black Lamb. I'd prefer them removed but I'll live with them, maybe just maybe, I'll remove the huge puller.

JM is right, those trousers don't look much chop

GN, that's interesting - I didn't know that MJ Bale sold some trousers with side-adjusters. Two pairs for $300 seems attractive, but having a look at the photos, the construction quality doesn't really look so good, on that pair at least (single button closure at the front, stitching isn't particularly fine etc).

Further to my post above, I remembered that Howard Yount also has some trousers with side-adjusters (or "d-rings", as I think Jamison of HY calls them):

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/pants

Have a look down near the bottom and you'll see several pairs of trousers in both cotton and wool with d-ring side-adjusters.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm really after button or tab adjusters, I'm so picky.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foxy seems to be on the quest for the greatest off the rack chinos ever... why he doesn't just go MTO or bespoke especially, especially when you just said how picky you are, continues to be one of the greatest mysteries on SF.

acinod

Reaction score
How many watches does a man need? I've never worn a watch before but I'm starting to feel a bit naked without one.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider getting a pair of chinos made by Luxire.
I probably will!

Foxy seems to be on the quest for the greatest off the rack chinos ever... why he doesn't just go MTO or bespoke especially, especially when you just said how picky you are, continues to be one of the greatest mysteries on SF.

Yeah I'm looking at luxire!
How many watches does a man need? I've never worn a watch before but I'm starting to feel a bit naked without one.
I can't be watchless. Before my house got burgled I had heaps. Now I'm bringing it down to three. My Braun BN0024. Which is all I have left. Will grab a dress watch with insurance money, and a beater(probably G-Shock), for work.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of incotex (main line)and a pair of mabitex . Best trousers on earth. Superb fabric , amazing construction and fancy lining.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally i favour tortoise shell with the GP style, black IMMO is better suited for a heavier style frame

Oli

If you can, check out Barton Periera and Cutler & Gross too. BP are from the makers of Oliver People's(l stand corrected) and have some incredible frames. A couple of months ago l looked at all the above and settled with a pair of CG's in the Melbourne frame. CG's are a higher price point, however the design and construction are amazing.

What do the Industrialists wear?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depending on who you ask, the number could be anywhere between 0 and N-1, where N = infinity.

Being serious, though, I think that it's useful to have a few watches. I prefer leather bands, but a watch on a bracelet will do away with the need to have watches which go with both brown accessories and black accessories (ie a watch with a brown leather strap and a watch with a black leather strap).

I think that it's also handy to have watches that you can dress up, and watches that you can dress down.

How you fill those various categories depends on your budget and how obsessed you are with watches!

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only own one watch - a Timex Easyreader.

Last edited:

kayhill

Reaction score

If you ask me, watches are like shoes. When you get a quality watch, there is an otherness about it. It is subtle, but all the little things, the satisfying weight of it, the aroma of the leather band, the beautiful dial and the polished material ... it all adds together to ooze class. And once you have that one quality watch in your hand, you won't be able to stop yourself from collecting another, and another.

Unless you have good self control. I now have seven pairs of shoes that I wear, and a few more that I don't even bother with any more. 2 pairs of shoes would do me, maybe 3 at most. But like watches, a high-quality pair of shoes just draws me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads