1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

I sincerely question DJ's business model in the changing retail environment, as it seems to be targeting a wealthy, but equally clueless customer base. They secure some patchy stock of some internationally trendy or, dare I say it, stylish brand (e.g. Paul Smith) and put a huge 100% markup on it.

They then expect rich twats to part with large wads of cash to buy these "exclusive" brands which, even if they aren't exactly quality items, noone else can afford to wear (hence they believe $ buys them style, or at least exclusivity). DJs don't need to train staff or even have much product knowledge on the floor (tried asking a DJs employee if a suit was canvassed lately?)

Hence DJs have spent a lot of time and money bringing in overseas luxury brands (regardless of the quality of the stock itself) and which have no flagship presence in Australia. They then proceed to mark them up ridiculously for ignorant, wealthy consumers.

The main trouble with the Internet from DJ's POV is not just the online shopping angle undercutting their price. It is fundamentally changing their target market, which is becoming more informed about the value of things globally, and ask why they should pay twice as much as an Italian or American for the same product. They also have access to a range of products that make DJ's look far from exclusive - just the oppsite in fact. What's more, the clods who would buy stuff at DJ's because it's exclusive, now no longer have that attraction, as any Joe Blow can be his own importer of the same jacket, shoes etc. via the Internet.

--rant over--

Good points all round, mate.

Personally, I can't bring myself to part with any money in DJs. Maybe a pair of socks now and again, but that's about it. I'm completely uninspired by 90% of the stock on display; for the most part, what I see is drab, boring and criminally overpriced.

It''s almost as if their buyers head out to overseas markets with the sole purpose of seeking out the ugliest, most garish crap they can find. Worse yet, they seem to do with an unhealthy gusto! [​IMG]

DJs is neither here nor there, and that is their biggest problem. Not strong enough on the Value For Money equation to challenge the likes of Myers, but not sufficiently high falutin' to take on mobs like Harrolds or Parker and Co.

My 2 cents.

2. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Rant as much as you like - I totally agree.

Just walked through DJs on the way back from a meeting and, of course a whole bunch of stuff was on sale, but not their Panterella's (yet) - but even on sale I just can't see why you'd spend the kind of money they ask for stuff.

BTW, it looked like about half the Pink shirts were reduced by 30% - but they start at between $170 and $290. Now, I am a dyed in the wool cheapskate, but who would buy a RTW shirt for $290? Their entry level shirts looked to be a similar quality to the few MJBale shirts I've purchased this year - and they can be had for about $70 at the moment (on sale).

3. lennier

lennier Senior member

No. They were on sale earlier this month in Sydney when the DJ started I had a good look at them and was not impressed either by a) quality or b) price. Also had a good look at their ties, overpriced not lined, too short in some cases, overall not worth it if you ask me.
    Personally they don't seem much if any better than Lewin to me, just twice the price (in the UK) or 4 times the price (out here). Since I'm happy with Lewin quality (please don't let me get dissatisfied and have to buy more expensive stuff... the curse of educating oneself :) ) I'll stick with paying $40 a shirt rather than $160.

4. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I sincerely question DJ's .... blah blah blah

I was always fascinated by this theory at uni - Perfect Information - the third paragraph here has the most relevant detail.

5. Bone19

Bone19 Member

Finally some decent news for the forgotten children in Perth.

F.T.Russell & Co is a perth based travelling tailor. they offer both Bespoke and M2M.
    ive commisioned both and i love the results.

they are not the ceapest in town......well thats probably not true as there really isnt anyone in town [​IMG] 2pc half canvas M2M starts around $1900 and Bespoke full canvas at around $3300.

Fiona, the owner, told me that all their garments are made locally and all her jackets mare made completely by hand, this includes the M2M.

definately worth checking it out www.ftrussell.com.au.

Ps: im wearing my new SB 2B bespoke FT Russell in Harrisons navy chalk stripe 11oz Worsted Flannel.........love it! best suit i have ever bought, far superior to the Sarti M2M i bought a couple of years ago.

6. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Sounds good, Bone. Prices are similar to Adamo Marrone in Sydney for bespoke. Nice to see Perth-ites have someone locally to turn to for their MTM/bespoke needs.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I was always fascinated by this theory at uni - Perfect Information - the third paragraph here has the most relevant detail.
    Yes, my argument is that the Internet is helping to reduce market failure by providing more perfect information to consumers. This is one of the main problems with the DJ's etc. business model.

8. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

I sincerely question DJ's business model in the changing retail environment, as it seems to be targeting a wealthy, but equally clueless customer base. They secure some patchy stock of some internationally trendy or, dare I say it, stylish brand (e.g. Paul Smith) and put a huge 100% markup on it. They then expect rich twats to part with large wads of cash to buy these "exclusive" brands which, even if they aren't exactly quality items, noone else can afford to wear (hence they believe $ buys them style, or at least exclusivity). DJs don't need to train staff or even have much product knowledge on the floor (tried asking a DJs employee if a suit was canvassed lately?) Hence DJs have spent a lot of time and money bringing in overseas luxury brands (regardless of the quality of the stock itself) and which have no flagship presence in Australia. They then proceed to mark them up ridiculously for ignorant, wealthy consumers. The main trouble with the Internet from DJ's POV is not just the online shopping angle undercutting their price. It is fundamentally changing their target market, which is becoming more informed about the value of things globally, and ask why they should pay twice as much as an Italian or American for the same product. They also have access to a range of products that make DJ's look far from exclusive - just the oppsite in fact. What's more, the clods who would buy stuff at DJ's because it's exclusive, now no longer have that attraction, as any Joe Blow can be his own importer of the same jacket, shoes etc. via the Internet. --rant over--
    100% mark up? That must be during sales prices. DJ's mark ups are absurdly high. You're looking at closer to 170%-250% for the majority of items. They do rely on well-to-do customers who are ignorant of the internet and their surroundings. As I've said previously in this thread, it is much easier for me to sell a $1700 AC suit which fits someone incredibly bad than it is to sell them a lesser known brand which fits them as best as possible OTR. The amount of people who walk in and say "I want an Armani suit" and then buy an Armani suit that is 1-2x too big for them because we don't have their size is mind blowing. I used to be amazed at how much commission some of the SA's make. Not anymore. An ignorant customer with a bit of cash in the back pocket is a major payday for me. I even had one guy who asked "where did you learn your trade?" when I told him all of our AC suits are made in Turkey. According to him, all Armani clothing is made in Italy, regardless of what the tag says. He then bought 2 suits and a leather jacket.

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

Yes, my argument is that the Internet is helping to reduce market failure by providing more perfect information to consumers. This is one of the main problems with the DJ's etc. business model.
    I hope the internet will come to this thread.

10. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Almost everything in over-priced in Australia ( Clothes, houses, cars, etc). When I go abroad, I am so amazed by how cheap most things are. I apologise if I have been bitching way too damn much about this. Most of my purchases now are made online. I wish I could buy a brand new car online from abroad & escape the taxes as well. hahaha. [​IMG]

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

By global standards, many working-class folk in Australia are overpaid as well. Everything balances out.

Only in Australia can a plumber/electrician who flunked his way through highschool earn more than a GP who goes to uni for 5-6 years, and then trains for a further 5 years. Only in Australia can a Coles cashier or shelf stacker with year 12 earn as much as a fresh business graduate.

In a nutshell - be careful about what you wish for.

12. meister

meister Senior member

Almost everything in over-priced in Australia ( Clothes, houses, cars, etc). When I go abroad, I am so amazed by how cheap most things are. I apologise if I have been bitching way too damn much about this. Most of my purchases now are made online. I wish I could buy a brand new car online from abroad & escape the taxes as well. hahaha. [​IMG]

Friends who did the GIRO bike tour in Italy recently told me that Italy now with the low EUR is dirt cheap. Like AUD1.50 for a coffee.

13. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

By global standards, many working-class folk in Australia are overpaid as well. Everything balances out. Only in Australia can a plumber/electrician who flunked his way through highschool earn more than a GP who goes to uni for 5-6 years, and then trains for a further 5 years. Only in Australia can a Coles cashier or shelf stacker with year 12 earn as much as a fresh business graduate. In a nutshell - be careful about what you wish for.
    Oh please. Last time I checked, the Australian median income was not 2-3x that of other developed countries to justify the 2-3x greater prices we pay. It doe not balance out, and that is the price we pay of choosing to live here. It's still no reason to complain as retailers are out to turn a profit, not to provide the customer a 'fair' price. Jacking up prices is fair game - if we don't like it we can compete or bypass them. One could say that retailers are being immature by complaining about online sales and no gst on imports, but again, they are businesses, not door mats. I could say it is the consumer that is being immature by whining about the price of a product or service that is intended to maximise profit. Retailers want high prices, consumers want low prices. What a surprise!

14. apropos

apropos Senior member

Median income has nothing to do with prices paid for luxury clothing, and trying to draw any correlation between them is pretty [​IMG] 'Maximising profit' is part of the picture, but consider how on average our minimum wage is nearly double the USA's - we are paying for a lack of demand, geographical isolation, and enforced governmental inefficiencies.

15. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

By global standards, many working-class folk in Australia are overpaid as well. Everything balances out.

Only in Australia can a plumber/electrician who flunked his way through highschool earn more than a GP who goes to uni for 5-6 years, and then trains for a further 5 years. Only in Australia can a Coles cashier or shelf stacker with year 12 earn as much as a fresh business graduate.

In a nutshell - be careful about what you wish for.

If you are an plumber/electrician, then perhaps you may be overpaid.
    I happen to be a doctor and I'm underpaid. When I started, my ward clerk get paid more than me.
    My job scope deals with extremely stressful situations & potentially life-threatening circumstances that sometimes haunts me outside of work. Ever run like you never ran in your life across hospital hallways when a code blue for a baby that is ONLY a few minutes old and dying? And doing what you possibly can to save the poor soul, and having it reflashed in your mind a million times after... affecting your sleeping & eating patterns & going in cycles again & again & again...

Do I get paid what I think I deserve? No, I don't. My nurses get paid way more than I do, considered I spend more money upgrading myself (recently invested more than $10K for 6-month surgical anatomy diploma course) in this competitive field. I won't see much money until I exit my fellowship exams.

Dont be mistaken. I absolutely love my job. My choice couldnt be more right. Besides, I don't feel it is morally right to get my income directly from patients, that is why I chose to work in hospitals.

Is there a balance? Depends on who you ask.

16. apropos

apropos Senior member

17. Simon29

Simon29 Member

Finally some decent news for the forgotten children in Perth.

F.T.Russell & Co is a perth based travelling tailor. they offer both Bespoke and M2M.
    ive commisioned both and i love the results.

they are not the ceapest in town......well thats probably not true as there really isnt anyone in town [​IMG] 2pc half canvas M2M starts around $1900 and Bespoke full canvas at around $3300.

Fiona, the owner, told me that all their garments are made locally and all her jackets mare made completely by hand, this includes the M2M.

definately worth checking it out www.ftrussell.com.au.

Ps: im wearing my new SB 2B bespoke FT Russell in Harrisons navy chalk stripe 11oz Worsted Flannel.........love it! best suit i have ever bought, far superior to the Sarti M2M i bought a couple of years ago.

Anybody know the background to F.T Russel & CO? Definitely sounds interesting (and more convenient than flying interstate for a suit) but a bit hesitant given the lack of information available.

18. quar

quar Senior member

If you are an plumber/electrician, then perhaps you may be overpaid. I happen to be a doctor and I'm underpaid. When I started, my ward clerk get paid more than me. My job scope deals with extremely stressful situations & potentially life-threatening circumstances that sometimes haunts me outside of work. Ever run like you never ran in your life across hospital hallways when a code blue for a baby that is ONLY a few minutes old and dying? And doing what you possibly can to save the poor soul, and having it reflashed in your mind a million times after... affecting your sleeping & eating patterns & going in cycles again & again & again... Do I get paid what I think I deserve? No, I don't. My nurses get paid way more than I do, considered I spend more money upgrading myself (recently invested more than $10K for 6-month surgical anatomy diploma course) in this competitive field. I won't see much money until I exit my fellowship exams. Dont be mistaken. I absolutely love my job. My choice couldnt be more right. Besides, I don't feel it is morally right to get my income directly from patients, that is why I chose to work in hospitals. Is there a balance? Depends on who you ask.
    I'm a young doctor too. Young nurses do not get paid more than us. That is an old wives tale. And I didn't realise we owned the nurses.

19. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

I'm a young doctor too. Young nurses do not get paid more than us. That is an old wives tale. And I didn't realise we owned the nurses.

Not newly graduated nurses of course. Also depends on where you work. (ie. state).

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

By global standards, many working-class folk in Australia are overpaid as well. Everything balances out. Only in Australia can a plumber/electrician who flunked his way through highschool earn more than a GP who goes to uni for 5-6 years, and then trains for a further 5 years. Only in Australia can a Coles cashier or shelf stacker with year 12 earn as much as a fresh business graduate. In a nutshell - be careful about what you wish for.
    Has this thread been invaded by the GOP or is it the (re) emergence of the Neo Con element. I find it amazing that the bourgeoisie constantly bitch about wages paid to workers while so called professions such as Real Estate agents have fucked the country over, but then turning a home into a line of credit was one of the master strokes of the Howard era. And having had something to do of late with PWC, Deloittes, KPMG et all I am not surprised that they pay so little to graduates and work their arses off so that many of them bail to greener pastures as soon as the graduate program has been completed. And yes I am a professional and well educated for that matter and I don't begrudge tradesmen, the ability to earn but I don't think that they earn at the same levels as a doctor or a lawyer for that matter. And after all what is a tailor? A master tradesman?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.