• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just follow sartorial rules and fit in already.

Look at the world around us - what has change brought? crime, moral depravity, nuclear war, environmental disasters and women's rights. 

When we waive from our traditions society falls apart at the seams. 

(1) Chelseas come from an even older tradition, consequently hold greater importance
(2) the yearling texture is not analogous to latex
(3) Last time I checked penii do not bend at a 90 degree angle 
Wow those all-nighters are really catching up to you huh?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow those all-nighters are really catching up to you huh?

Seriously though - there is an elegance in simplicity.

I'm often mindboggled when I read posts to find that someone has a foot high stack of silk print squares but not a single white linen.

Like the Italians, I'd say 95% of SF members would look better if they focused on mastering the rules before attempting to transcend the genre. Especially younger members where it just comes across contrived.

Get the black cap. Get the navy suit. Get the black knit. THEN experiment. Not the reverse.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1) Chelseas come from an even older tradition and consequently hold greater importance
(2) the yearling texture is not analogous to latex
(3) Last time I checked penii do not bend at a 90 degree angle

I think the point here is that RMWs are actually wholecut chelseas (one of the few makers who do this).

By the way, any idea when the wholecut was introduced?

herringbonePete

Reaction score
Academic dress standards don't exist in this country. Its open slather in the creative humanities, some education people I know used to wear shirt and tie and sports jackets. Never saw a suit unless it was graduations. Most lectures go for a "I am a cultural creative look" WTF that is these days.

Maybe for science its different?

Most academics I know go for jackets, jeans, and loafers. They would be better dressed perhaps if they were better fitted (and maybe ditched the loafers).
A recent post of Michael Sy's got me thinking - who here removes their jacket while at work?

I ask this because it's about 50-50 where I work - some (myself included) wear their suit jacket the whole time and others drape it over the back of their chair or hang it up somewhere.

If I'm wearing a casual jacket (M-65/Harrington/duffle coat/peacoat) or an overcoat, I will take them off before I sit at my desk but the suit jacket stays on the whole time (double breasted jackets stay buttoned and single breasted jackets are unbuttoned).

To me, a shirt and tie with no jacket looks like the person wearing them hasn't finished dressing.

I actully prefer the jacket and no tie option over tie and trousers. Tie and suit is great but often too warm.
It is, I suppose, quite proper to wear just shirt and trousers - all you do is rolll up the sleeves and it is timeless - basically shirt-sleeve order as declared at school.

I am almost with you here Mr Nelson, but I sometimes take off my jacket and/or tie if I getting hot and stuffy throughout the day (our office is quite hot as is summer weather for this poor Scotsman).

I also think a shirt and time only can work but it is harder to look good in and depend on the shirt fitting very well.

I think the Miller brothers of Barker Black and Miller's Oath do it well.
Partial to Hendricks or Bombay Saphire with tonic. Crushed Vietnamese mint? Pink grapefruit juice? A few drops of Rose water, lemon juice and soda water?

About as adventurous as I get with gin.

I spent the weekend away in the bush - all I could think of was the first of my summer G&Ts. Big fan of tonic water alternatives.

While there is no denying a stark elegance lingering around a plain black closed laced captoe - see wurgers thread for evidence - it is not the best shoe to have if you only have one or two dress shoes.

I've said it before and I'm about to say it again. Here I go.

A black dress (not country) brogue or semi brogue is the most versatile shoe if you only have one or two shoes. (Even then a country brogue open laced will still serve well)
If you have only two dress shoes the other one should be a brown brogue or semi brogue. (This assumes you have sneakers and boots etc)

A semi, or full, brogue black shoe in a slightly refined last will take you from a wedding to the boardroom and to a funeral and to everyday work - if you are white collar - without embarrassment at any of those functions. Not only no embarrassment but as you look around will even provide you with some pride.

I am not a big fan of the closed captoe. The first pair of work shoes I bought was a pair of black bluchers which are fine. I used to joke that they made me look like I had false legs.The second pair I bought was in fact a black brogue which I think is quite appropriate in all situations. I love the brown brogue and have a soft spot for the suede semi-brogue.

Speaking of how great RMWs are:

Beautiful!

You might able to try them at Henry Bucks. Otherwise try contact Christian via his Instagram or Tumblr. He should get back to you pretty quickly.
The versatility of brown suede Chukkas. My favourite shoe.

Have to agree PS. Simply I could get by with (in a sort of ranking):

Black brogues
Brown brogues
Suede chukka
Suede semi-brogue

lukejackson

Reaction score
In today's MX (Brisbane), there was a txt in from someone in the "letters to the editor" type section. It was obviously in reply to another person's rant on buying office clothes, and it seemed they had complained about spending $872 on office wear. The person responding stated he bought all his clothes from op shops, and often got compliments on them....I wonder what sort of stuff he was buying.

I've never come across much 'classic menswear' in opshops. The ones I have been to have pretty much only black suits. I have seen some decent labels though, a few bespoke pieces, a zegna or two, but all in pretty horrible cuts, fits etc. I have scored some nice casual shirts but nothing amazing. The other week I did get some lady's Tods that had been very well looked after and barely worn, for $25. They were a penny loafer in black leather, sold them on ebay for $50. But generally, I haven't found any good op shop stuff in Brisbane.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fox, start with a captoe.

A wholecut can wait.
I already have a captoe though!

No fox, as a part of an entire outfit, there isn't much difference between the black cap toe and black wholecut.

like most things, I highly doubt you going to stop at one pair, so you might as well buy both.

I don't wear black shoes all that often, so I'm content with grabbing just one pair. What are these? They're lovely.
How about an austerity brogue?

Beautiful shoes, K.

After someone here suggested I check out your blog/Instagram for some tassel loafer inspiration, I've come to the conclusion that you sir, are a boss. (Not foxhound, but nabilmust)
+1. It's great.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FH, my pair is Alfred Sargent Milton

Thankyou kindly. They are really lovely.

Here's a picture of my Barbour worn my casually. I'm wearing 3sixteen jawnz and my scout shirt. I'm a Scout Leader. Scarf is off though :p

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously though - there is an elegance in simplicity.  

I'm often mindboggled when I read posts to find that someone has a foot high stack of silk print squares but not a single white linen.

White power! 

Like the Italians, I'd say 95% of SF members would look better if they focused on mastering the rules before attempting to transcend the genre. Especially younger members where it just comes across contrived. 

Get the black cap. Get the black shirt. Get the black knit.

mussolini.jpg

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA for fragrance fans. Myer has 15% off all fragrances, for tomorrow only. For Penhaligon's fans, they have recently added them to their line-up. Niche brands included in the sale are Frapin, Robert Piguet, Rance, Lubin, L'artisan , Penhaligun's, Keiko Mecheri, Costume National and Juliet Has a Gun. I believe the designer and celebrity brands (Chanel, Hermes, Dior etc) are also included.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In today's MX (Brisbane), there was a txt in from someone in the "letters to the editor" type section. It was obviously in reply to another person's rant on buying office clothes, and it seemed they had complained about spending $872 on office wear. The person responding stated he bought all his clothes from op shops, and often got compliments on them....I wonder what sort of stuff he was buying.

I've never come across much 'classic menswear' in opshops. The ones I have been to have pretty much only black suits. I have seen some decent labels though, a few bespoke pieces, a zegna or two, but all in pretty horrible cuts, fits etc. I have scored some nice casual shirts but nothing amazing. The other week I did get some lady's Tods that had been very well looked after and barely worn, for $25. They were a penny loafer in black leather, sold them on ebay for $50. But generally, I haven't found any good op shop stuff in Brisbane.

Can't speak for Brisbane, but all of my current suit rotation comes from the op shop.

Generally, successful op shopping requires a catchment area of wealthy people inclined to support charities. So target your efforts in the more up-market parts of town, and you may do better.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Can't speak for Brisbane, but all of my current suit rotation comes from the op shop.

Generally, successful op shopping requires a catchment area of wealthy people inclined to support charities. So target your efforts in the more up-market parts of town, and you may do better.

That's awesome. Well the ones I have tried are in upmarket areas, however, there are also a lot of opshops here that are pretty damn expensive. They only sell decent brands or "vintage wear". I've seen ralph polo shirts for $25, with missing buttons, stains etc. Horrible old leather jackets = $120. I still like to pop in when I go past one as you never know...

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
btw - what would you guys consider a fair price for my HC burgundy grenadine?

Hardly worn. Too purply for my liking.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's awesome. Well the ones I have tried are in upmarket areas, however, there are also a lot of opshops here that are pretty damn expensive. They only sell decent brands or "vintage wear". I've seen ralph polo shirts for $25, with missing buttons, stains etc. Horrible old leather jackets = $120. I still like to pop in when I go past one as you never know...

Agreed. I've seen very little worthwhile in Brisbane op shops, so I've given up trying.

I think that only decent thing that I ever saw was an unlined, beige, cotton jacket by Massimo Dutti that was quite inexpensive and looked to be unused. A friend of mine has had better luck, as he's found a number of decent English shirts in very good condition and the occasional decent tie. The vast majority of suits and jackets, though, are simply awful.

I did see some Hermes ties a couple of years back, but they were exceptionally bad - horrible designs, horrible colours, and very light, without any heft - but because they were Hermes (albeit very old Hermes, in bad condition), St Vinnies wanted quite a lot for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads