1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

The argument runs that if drugs are legal to sell and use then it takes them out of the hands of criminal syndicates and all that entails.

It still won't put the money in the pockets of addicts to buy 'em, though, or change the way people behave when on drugs, so it wouldn't stop THAT kind of violence.

Plus in all likelihood there will remain an illegal drug market for people who don't want to abide by the restrictions that would apply even to legal drug sales.

I can see how the argument works and has merit for "soft" drugs- at least while society is free and easy about alcohol, which it probably always will be- but it really falls down with the addictive stuff and serious mind-bending stuff where there's too big a cost to society to just allow people to not only destroy themselves but become dangers to those around them.

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I'm aware of the animus towards black suits on SF, but my lust for a bargain got the better of me and I acquire a black Helmut Lang suit in an op shop a little while ago. Sam has worked his magic and it fits like a glove (beautiful fabric too).

When I tried it on at Sam's, I was wearing a solid lavender shirt and a black tie with magenta detailing. I thought that combination looked OK, far better than a white shirt would. I've been thinking this suit would probably work OK with pale blue or lavender shirts, plus a lighter coloured non-white pocket square to break up the severity.

So are black suits really that bad? Should I just keep this for funerals, or for a future contract as a waiter or DJ's SA?

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I like black or really dark charcoal suits. Especially good if you have something on in the evening after work, where your blogger blue patch pocket suit and chestnut brogues might look a little too dandy daytime.

CD I think your instinct for wearing it with a lavender shirt rather than white, with a dark tie, is a good one. Pale blue, not so much IMO. Black is formal so you also want to steer away from gingham or tattersal check shirts, lest you look like like you walked out of last summer's MJ Bale catalogue.

4. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I, for one, am not too divided about black suits. The way you've intended to pair it and wear it sounds like a nice change from the sea of navy and grey.

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I've thought about this myself.

In a lot of brands it's easier to find a black suit than it is a charcoal.

That said, charcoal is almost always more versatile.

6. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I have a Versace black suit which somehow to this day continues to fit like a glove, whilst I rarely wear it (not sure I should admit that in these hallowed halls) when I do with a light blue or purple (light or dark) it looks fine albeit still quite formal but not out of place for business wear. Whilst I understand the conventions and thought around black suits, ultimately if it looks good on you it looks good and due to the thought around this you don't see too many of them out and about so almost has a uniqueness to it imo.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I like charcoal a lot.

Black is OK if you are going on tv, but not something I think works day to day. But CD thinks about these things and will make it work.

8. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

If they legalised certain stimulant drugs, my productivity at work would sky rocket - everyone would win.

1 person likes this.
  9. Prince of Paisley

One thing on black suits is dandruff.

10. Prince of Paisley

Mate we all know you'd just be posting here more often.

For that reason alone I think stimulant drug possession should carry the death penalty.

8 people like this.
  11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Nonsense!

I'd be in twice as many brainstorming sessions, pondering how we are going to develop the next best thing. I wouldn't have time to post meaningful banter on SF. Also, other stimulants take a fraction of the time to consume compared to a cup of coffee (literally just one inhale).

12. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Where's all that time going now?

6 people like this.
  13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

If its a duck it quacks what more can you say.

Read the article on meth addiction in last weeks The Saturday Paper and I think you'll change your tune.

1 person likes this.
  15. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Poor JimmyHoffa. Takes himself too seriously, asks to be taken less seriously, so no-one takes him seriously. Makes his first joke on the forum, and he's taken too seriously. I mean, come on, seriously...

5 people like this.
  16. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Having the opinion that a certain drug should be legalised, when it is currently illegal, will always paint you as a crazy nutter.

The sadder thing is, I am hypocritical: I think Pokies should be illegal (sorry Mr Ainsworth). So it really comes down to personal preference as to what should be legal and what should be illegal.

17. Prince of Paisley

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Quack!

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

So in the lead up to Spring and Summer, what's the feeling with light coloured suits? Your beiges, light browns etc? How far can you go?

There seems to be more and more linen/linen blends out there in the Australian summer but light coloured suits are still quire rare.

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Meth is an extreme stimulant, of course that should be illegal. In hindsight, it was silly making a blanket statement by saying 'all stimulants should be legal'. I was referring to the recreational use of MDMA and Cocaine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.