• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of bespoke velvet slippers for my mum .. hopefully she enjoys them for Xmas

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Already have, just thought it may have been quicker to get an answer here. Thanks anyway
You might able to try them at Henry Bucks. Otherwise try contact Christian via his Instagram or Tumblr. He should get back to you pretty quickly.
Speaking of how great RMWs are:
The versatility of brown suede Chukkas. My favourite shoe.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of bespoke velvet slippers for my mum .. hopefully she enjoys them for Xmas
You are indeed a good son.

Good look oli.

Christian isn't putting his stuff in BMT.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Dress For Success, Molloy conducts a study where he allowed one group of women to dress the men (generally involving brighter, lighter colours) and another where they dress themselves (in darker, more conservative wear). The photographs were then shown to a second group of women.

Overwhelmingly the women found the men who dressed themselves more attractive.

Whilst Molloy concluded that women don't conceptually understand power dressing, I would argue that on a subconscious level the women choose ridiculous garbs as a mark of ownership.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
OMG i think my carmina's attempted delivery today .... Anyone else get a parcel and know who the courier is? Ive got a card from Toll

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^This happens far too often.Women dressing meng...oh and the delivery thing!
Nice chukka's Oli would like to see more!
Gerry how was the sizing on your TCNY m65? Thinking of buying one for Spring/Summer outerwear, how would you compare with your Barbour Bedale (much slimmer?).

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 38 and I got the Medium which is quite slim fitting. Definitely slimmer than the Beaufort in 38.

These are the measurements for a Medium:
Chest 21" from armpit to armpit
Waist 20" from seam to seam
Bottom 20 1/2" from seam to seam
Shoulder 19" from shoulder seam to shoulder seam
Sleeve Length 23 1/4"
Back Length 28 1/4"

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In Dress For Success, Molloy conducts a study where he allowed one group of women to dress the men (generally involving brighter, lighter colours) and another where they dress themselves (in darker, more conservative wear). The photographs were then shown to a second group of women. 

Overwhelmingly the women found the men who dressed themselves more attractive. 

Whilst Molloy concluded that women don't conceptually understand power dressing, I would argue that on a subconscious level the women choose ridiculous garbs as a mark of ownership. 

It's an interesting point, and one that I've considered from time to time - usually when I go to a Herringbone warehouse sale and see men being pulled around like castrated bulls (as GF memorably described them) while their wives or girlfriends pick out loudly striped shirts and satiny, contrasting stripe ties for them.

Personally - and I admit that I could be wrong - I don't think that women are choosing garish garb for their men as a mark of ownership. Rather, I think that women are choosing colourful clothes in bright patterns because that's what they would tend to choose if they were shopping for themselves. Look around at women in town - whilst a fair few women wear black as a default choice, there are lots of women who also wear bright colours, particularly in a shirt/blouse, scarf or belt. So, I think that whilst these women are shopping for men, they're buying stuff that they, through female eyes, think will look good.

To put it simply, a lot of women don't know what suits a man - and the reverse often applies, too. I went shopping with my wife and a very stylish colleague of hers some time back and I was really, really impressed by the outfits that she suggested to my wife. She picked out various combinations that I, quite frankly, would never have suggested to my wife and yet they really suited her and looked very good on her. When my wife asks me about her clothing, I tend to view it through my eyes, and so I suspect that the same goes for women - they look at men's clothing through their eyes.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
their wives or girlfriends pick out loud satin, contrasting stripe ties for them.

cheers.gif

kayhill

Reaction score
So, I think that whilst these women are shopping for men, they're buying stuff that they, through female eyes, think will look good.

Bingo. However, if you have a girlfriend who appreciates a more masculine aesthetic with respect to design (by extension clothing), then you'll have a good shopping buddy.

Though girls with a more masculine aesthetic may not be very into shopping in the first place.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were to get a whole-cut which color would you get it in? Black, oak or burgundy/cherry?

kayhill

Reaction score
If you were to get a whole-cut which color would you get it in? Black, oak or burgundy/cherry?

All three are pretty good choices ... I'd go burgundy, though a black one would be a fairly conservative/formal business shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads