• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Don't suppose one of you was hailing a cab outside the Windsor this morning? No pocket square so I realise it's unlikely but the suit and shirt looked sharp. What caught my eye though was a rather nice looking umbrella.

In more exciting news my first order from Herring has arrived in the office, unfortunately I'm stuck in a clients offices all day!

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
Don't suppose one of you was hailing a cab outside the Windsor this morning? No pocket square so I realise it's unlikely but the suit and shirt looked sharp. What caught my eye though was a rather nice looking umbrella.

In more exciting news my first order from Herring has arrived in the office, unfortunately I'm stuck in a clients offices all day!

Not me you saw but I don't wear a pocket square. While I own a few pocket squares I haven't been able to bring myself to wear them since I returned to Australia. I think I would feel self-conscious. I recently bought a nice Fox umbrella however which I am very happy with.

I love getting a nice new pair of shoes. I recently purchased a pair of Cheaney half-brogues from Herring Shoes - they are a great company to deal with. I am also fond of Pediwear. Enjoy your shoes!

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I think what is needed is a filing system for ties.

While we are at it, seeing this is a digital age, there could also be a automated system for matching ties, suits, shirts etc. Digital photos of all clothes and shoes and belts and ties would be entered into a database. It would be coded along the ISBN or a library system of categories and a panel of respected forum posters (is "respected forum posters" not a oxymorn?) would pair ties and shirts and jackets etc.

Each clothing item could have a embedded chip and by scanning each day with a mobile phone or something then the igent would have a list of suitable clothing to wear.

It could be linked to weather reports and also to a daily calendar of ranked meetings etc so that the appropriate dress was worn at all time with minimal thought or effort.

Another app or program could indicate a "rotation"cycle and yet another a "time to clean" warning. With further enhancements to indicate when a new or replacement item was needed to be ordered automatically online.

This could also be connected to a monitoring of online clothing forums, certain posters, exchange rate and current TV programs set in another era to warn the individual when an item was about to get get "hot" and become de rigeur amongst the cognoscenti. An automatic "buy" could be generated.

It will be just as important to have a "sell" warning when an item is going off the boil and is being worn by any old idiot with an internet connection. The sell command would need to occur as the item was going off the boil but before it became worthless by being totally non U.

This is only the germ of an idea but I'm sure with further thought from the experienced members here we can once again make australian ingenuity at the forefront of ... er ...something.

Alicia Silverstone had one of those in Clueless.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lily blacked it last night. It was quite a bit noisier than I expected.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spotted in Melbourne Op shop:

Herringbone Sydney - Blue striped suit - Italian fabric - 120+ wool - Made in Malta - size 44R - seems good condition - some wear on one trouser pocket edge = $40

__PG__

Reaction score
Where do people buy shoes in Sydney?

Which Herringbone shops stock Crockett and Jones? Do any other retailers stock them? What about Loakes/Churches/Grenson etc?

Someone in Sydney needs nice dress shoes for work. I'm trying to provide alternatives to Bally (good shoes no doubt, but not the best bang for your buck).

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__

Which Herringbone shops stock Crockett and Jones? Do any other retailers stock them? What about Loakes/Churches/Grenson etc?

Someone in Sydney needs nice dress shoes for work. I'm trying to provide alternatives to Bally (good shoes no doubt, but not the best bang for your buck).

this has dead-set been covered about 34 times

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by jaypee

+1 - although it is worth noting that this thread is now almost 4000 posts long, so there's a lot of back reading to do to find out such details!

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee

Yep, threads like this were really informative!
biggrin.gif

So, you can buy C&J at Herringbone, Loakes at DJs, Grensons at The Cloakroom, and Churches at Henry Bucks. Sounds like Melbourne.

jobro

Reaction score
Which Herringbone shops stock Crockett and Jones?
Perhaps if you contact Herringbone they may advise you as to which stores stock C&J.

stateless

Reaction score
I recently bought a nice Fox umbrella however which I am very happy with.

Where did you get your Fox in Melbourne? The only shop I've seen them in is American Tailors. Or did you buy online?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Spotted in Melbourne Op shop:

Herringbone Sydney - Blue striped suit - Italian fabric - 120+ wool - Made in Malta - size 44R - seems good condition - some wear on one trouser pocket edge = $40

Nice find... hopefully a size 44 round here can take advantage... do let me know if you find something in a 40!

yoshii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stateless
Where did you get your Fox in Melbourne? The only shop I've seen them in is American Tailors. Or did you buy online?

PJohnson also sell Fox umbrella's.
I think they start at around $200 (depending on style/handle etc) when i spoke with them just last week.
They also mentioned they stock colours they prefer (eg. no bright colours and patterns etc) although they can do specific orders for you.

How much were they at American Tailors btw?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
So I don't know if anybody remembers, but a couple of weeks back I went into a fit when I found a moth hole in my favorite wool jumper. Well when I finally calmed down I made a visit to the folks and asked my mum to take a look at it. To be honest I wasn't expecting too much, as she would be the first to admit that sewing and mending just isn't her thing.

Anyhow, just got it back today, and I am so impressed with the job she did - even knowing where the hole was you struggle finding the signs of the repair! One day I will need to learn to sew for myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads