Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

http://www.tieworld.com.au/shop/inde...roducts_id=543
    [​IMG]
    wonder if that's any good.

I think what is needed is a filing system for ties.

While we are at it, seeing this is a digital age, there could also be a automated system for matching ties, suits, shirts etc. Digital photos of all clothes and shoes and belts and ties would be entered into a database. It would be coded along the ISBN or a library system of categories and a panel of respected forum posters (is "respected forum posters" not a oxymorn?) would pair ties and shirts and jackets etc.

Each clothing item could have a embedded chip and by scanning each day with a mobile phone or something then the igent would have a list of suitable clothing to wear.

It could be linked to weather reports and also to a daily calendar of ranked meetings etc so that the appropriate dress was worn at all time with minimal thought or effort.

Another app or program could indicate a "rotation"cycle and yet another a "time to clean" warning. With further enhancements to indicate when a new or replacement item was needed to be ordered automatically online.

This could also be connected to a monitoring of online clothing forums, certain posters, exchange rate and current TV programs set in another era to warn the individual when an item was about to get get "hot" and become de rigeur amongst the cognoscenti. An automatic "buy" could be generated.

It will be just as important to have a "sell" warning when an item is going off the boil and is being worn by any old idiot with an internet connection. The sell command would need to occur as the item was going off the boil but before it became worthless by being totally non U.

This is only the germ of an idea but I'm sure with further thought from the experienced members here we can once again make australian ingenuity at the forefront of ... er ...something.

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Hi Guys,

Anyone picked up one of Herringbone's cashmere sweaters? RRP is $400..when on 30% off sales, is it worth the money?

Any other v-neck sweater suggestions? Ta!

I'm tall and slim, and they didn't really suit my body shape. Lovely cashmere and loved the colours... but hung baggy on me and was too short in the body.

If they fit you though I think they are pretty good value 30% off.

3. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Did anyone else watch My Kitchen Rules last night? Some of the worst suits I have ever seen on TV.

4. Prince of Paisley

visit all the Jermyn street shoe shops and pick something you like

they will all give you the form to get VAT back at the airport. waiting in line at heathrow will all the skeikhs wives and their louis vitton purchases.

also worth checking out John Rushton shoes

If you're getting shoes in Jermyn St, I would recommend asking them to post them back to you. They will automatically deduct VAT, but charge you about 40GBP for postage. It also saves you from taking them back yourself in your luggage.

The trick is to buy one pair in-store, but try on other pairs as well, so you can then order the ones you don't buy in the shop online.

5. Prince of Paisley

Did anyone else watch My Kitchen Rules last night? Some of the worst suits I have ever seen on TV.
    I've never watched the credits but I think Pete's suits are Arthur Galan or possibly Calibre. Not really a fan.

I thought Guy Grossi was well dressed by comparison.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

I was forced to watch "Embarrassing Body parts" by the Ms. Her fav show.

The other week it was vaginas full on the High Definition HUGE screen - this week by comparison only a few limp dicks.

The presenter guy does wear a fairly english set of clothes with typically loud shirts - not all bad.

7. RedDC5R

RedDC5R Member

I'm tall and slim, and they didn't really suit my body shape. Lovely cashmere and loved the colours... but hung baggy on me and was too short in the body.

If they fit you though I think they are pretty good value 30% off.

Thanks guys. I'll hold off until after Easter as I heard they are having a sale then.

8. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Thanks guys. I'll hold off until after Easter as I heard they are having a sale then.

They were going for $170 a pop during the Melbourne pop-up sale

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

They were going for $170 a pop during the Melbourne pop-up sale
    Pop up sale f-yeah! New ties, belt, and hopefully a sports coat and overcoat. edit: ugggggh got too excited. Just realised you were referring to it in the past tense.

10. Prince of Paisley

Sydney pop-up sale was surprisingly good IMO. Seemed to be a bit more stuff than at the warehouse (at least compared to last couple of times I've been there). Especially suprising was the good range of nice ties on sale - as opposed to the warehouse. The pop up also had a good spread of chinos/summer stock jackets. Also had a good range of the cashmere jumpers....

Main benefit for me though was the location - easy to get to and no junkies shooting up out of alfoil outside like in Slurry Hills. Hope they decide to make it a regular fixture at least twice a year during sale times.

11. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

^ why is no one throwing up some of this product on the forum?!

12. Prince of Paisley

Well, TBH, the discounts were good, but probably not good enough to sell at a profit and then ship to a new owner...

Then again, if there was ever a market for light blue cotton jackets with white buttons, it's Styleforum. I think these were going for $100 - down from something ridiculous like $600...

Ties were another matter. Objectively good value at $70 but when you can get them on sale for $80 or so in the shops regularly, and they would have to be shipped interstate, it's not that good a discount in that context.

13. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Hi, I live in Adelaide
    That makes 2 of us! [​IMG] Welcome!
    Mainly from Eddie Bauer (business casual shirts and pants, t-shirts, sweaters, underwear), Banana Republic (business and casual shirts), Johnston & Murphy (shoes and jackets), and my most recent purchase, a pair of Alden All Weather Walkers from The Alden Shop of San Francisco. I even bought a pair of Florsheim Veblen wingtips from Amazon.
    I'm more of a Lands' End and Allen Edmonds kinda guy myself. Although SF's very own B&S is THE schiz. [​IMG] That said, I might have to experiment with EB soon.
    Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but I'm pretty hooked on this stuff!
    Given that most local menswear is either (a) overpriced, (b) shite or (c) overpriced shite, I'm not surprised you're so enthusiastic about buying from OS. That said, there was a Herringbone pop-up sale over here a couple of weeks back. I missed out on it as I got called out of town for work. [​IMG]

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Then again, if there was ever a market for light blue cotton jackets with white buttons, it's Styleforum. I think these were going for $100 - down from something ridiculous like $600...

I'd so kop that shit!

15. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

Hi guys, good to see a massive thread for Aussies [​IMG]

I am in Sydney and I need to have my blazer sleeves shortened. It's got non-working buttons so I assume it would be easier. Any good value tailor recommendations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.