Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jobro

jobro Senior member

^ kikki k has some nice big boxes that I use ... about $35 each and can hold about 20 ties each
    Do you mean boxes designed to hold ties? I can't see much from their website but it looks to me they only have those generic sized (A4 etc) storage boxes like the ones below. I would not consider this ideal for storing ties.

When I get a bigger place I'm going to have a 1m wide cupboard, about 15 cm deep, built in, with a glass door and bars every 30cm to hang silks on and a drawer for wool, cashmere etc. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. meister

meister Senior member

Hi, I live in Adelaide and have been buying clothes online from the US for about two years. Mainly from Eddie Bauer (business casual shirts and pants, t-shirts, sweaters, underwear), Banana Republic (business and casual shirts), Johnston & Murphy (shoes and jackets), and my most recent purchase, a pair of Alden All Weather Walkers from The Alden Shop of San Francisco. I even bought a pair of Florsheim Veblen wingtips from Amazon.

Eddie Bauer has excellent business casual shirts made from heavy wrinkle-free cotton I've never seen in Australia. Their relaxed-fit khaki pants beat anything I've seen in Sydney or Melbourne. You wouldn't think of Banana Republic as a brand for business clothing, but they have very high quality dress business shirts for about $70. I've seen $250-plus shirts here in Oz that don't have as much tailoring in them.

Sure, shipping adds a bit more to the price, but it's worth paying for. There's never been a problem with delivery with any of my orders, and sometimes you can track the shipment online almost to your doorstep.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but I'm pretty hooked on this stuff!

The Eddie Bauer stuff I have thrifted is very good quality . Much superior to Aussie Country Rd and more like the CR of the 80s which never wore out. Though they say even EB stuff has diminished in quality.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Do you mean boxes designed to hold ties? I can't see much from their website but it looks to me they only have those generic sized (A4 etc) storage boxes like the ones below. I would not consider this ideal for storing ties. When I get a bigger place I'm going to have a 1m wide cupboard, about 15 cm deep, built in, with a glass door and bars every 30cm to hang silks on and a drawer for wool, cashmere etc. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Went down to Kikki earlier today... really couldn't let myself buy one of the boxes from the fact that they're $35 shoe boxes [​IMG] Might go down to Daiso on the weekend see whats there. Visited Djs earlier too and a certain tie caught my eyes. I wouldn't wear it as its just simply too flamboyant but the effect is quite amazing: [​IMG] [​IMG] Its simply a blue/red tie but the weave pattern seem to make one colour dominate depending on which side you are viewing it from. Just remembered its a Simon Carter so not the most high end of brands but still very interesting. On a related note, has any of you purchased any of the bicolour silk knits from Kent Wang? If so does it have someone similar effect?

4. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Do you mean boxes designed to hold ties? I can't see much from their website but it looks to me they only have those generic sized (A4 etc) storage boxes like the ones below. I would not consider this ideal for storing ties.

I have the A3 boxes and they do a perfectly good job for tie storage:

http://www.kikki-k.com/shop/product/...age-box-cloth/

5. meister

meister Senior member

A shot Black Jack Bouvier and Jackie and Mum c 1920s/30s re the gear on those crims.

[​IMG]

I am planning to sell off some shoes you guys might like. Anyone looking for quality stuff in USD10.5D/11D?

6. jobro

jobro Senior member

I have the A3 boxes and they do a perfectly good job for tie storage:

http://www.kikki-k.com/shop/product/...age-box-cloth/

Do you store your ties because their out of season? I can't see any advantage in keeping them in a closed box. Not to mention where the heck I would store a box like that if I frequently accessed it.

7. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I keep them in there so that I can access them easily. I have draws at my place that are really deep i.e. can fit 2 of those boxes in them.

I can literelly stack four or five ties on top of each other (in the draw without the box) which makes it an impossibility to find ties.

This way I lift the boxes out and can find what I want nice and easily. And was cheaper than having changes made to my wardrobe.

8. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Is anyone keeping tabs on the things TheWraith really doesn't know about but is happy to advise/expound upon?

Just wondering.

- I have an intern updating a pivot table for me [​IMG]

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

10. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

wonder if that's any good.

Nice in theory, but it would set me back close to $600 to store all my ties in these. Also, it doesn't mention whether it is leather or not.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

looks like its pleather :S

I have 15 ties just hanging on a clothes hanger at the moment, that's why I'm looking for a proper place to put them in.

Appolyon looking to cull a few ties? :p

12. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Cull a few ties? But I've only got 70 odd!?!

But seriously I do, do a bit of a cull every now and then. Will keep you in mind next time it comes time to thin the heard.

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

A shot Black Jack Bouvier and Jackie and Mum c 1920s/30s re the gear on those crims.

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if that small knot + wide tie + arrow point collar combination is due to roll around again anytime time soon. Was last big in the 80s - so for the last twenty years or so it would have seemed very dated.

But I reckon sometime in the next four/five years the above combo will be the in look - can feel it in me waters!

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Definitely. Most of the various looks of the last 100 years or so have come back into fashion. Those that haven't are just around the corner...

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

- I have an intern updating a pivot table for me [​IMG]

You're aware of course that Excel typically only has a maximum of about 650,000 rows. You may need to upgrade your software before long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.