• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayH

Reaction score
I got a hold of my first Suit Shop commission this week, a warm navy two button notch lapel. It is a step above any of the suits I have in my wardrobe (still studying so many).The initial fitting was bang on, I didn't need any alterations when I collected the suit which was surprising.

I have to say that I have learnt a lot through the process and especially what works for my body and getting the proportions right. Real life is a little different to #dressedbytheinternet

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foxhound, instead of you binge buying another 10 pairs online, you should go to American tailors and Double Monk.
I'll probably do something like this. I'm not going to get as many pairs this time. I'll just be getting what I mainly wore. Brown DM's (My most worn shoe), Brown Suede Brogues, Tan shortwings, Navy Suede Derbies and some Black Captoes.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I got a hold of my first Suit Shop commission this week, a warm navy two button notch lapel. It is a step above any of the suits I have in my wardrobe (still studying so many).The initial fitting was bang on, I didn't need any alterations when I collected the suit which was surprising.

I have to say that I have learnt a lot through the process and especially what works for my body and getting the proportions right. Real life is a little different to #dressedbytheinternet

Glad to hear Jay!

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael- That looks awesome! Definitely something I would wear in summer replacing the shirt with some sort of linen and the pants with a tropical wool or other summery fabric.

kayhill

Reaction score

burnso

Reaction score
Pink is incredibly versatile, and personally I think it works well.

Having said that, my skin colour is quite tanned so I never need to worry about being washed out.
Yeah that's right, your skin colour and skin-hair contrast level must be considered.

acinod

Reaction score
Speaking of colours, which shirt colours work well with an Asian complexion and which should be avoided? By Asian complexion I mean something like this:

DartagnanRed

Reaction score

Pics or it didn't happen.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of colours, which shirt colours work well with an Asian complexion and which should be avoided? By Asian complexion I mean something like this:

Check out Alan See's Tumblr and bntailor's tumblr for inspiration, or even beijing1980s tumblr. Pictures > words.

herringbonePete

Reaction score
No one has a single idea as to what you are trying to get rid of. Sadly, we don't follow your purchases everyday.

Perhaps ask your mate StreetMinimal as to how best to sell shoes? He sold 2 pairs of AEs to.....Halifax?

I took them - I consider them a bargain. I don't see the point in buying better than Loake/Herring. 120 for 2 pairs which will last 10 years plus.

Although I'm normally a 7.5g, the 7.5f is great. The 7f is a little tight but they are stretching already and I only plan to wear them once a month of an evening.
The 7.5f is now topied and on weekly rotation. I'm getting the lingo!

I now know exactly what to get when using Loake or Herring last. (026?)

herringbonePete

Reaction score
GN, I haven't seen many nice, off-the-rack examples. Most of the red-and-white, bengal striped shirts that I've seen either have too much texture to the fabric - too satiny, for example - or the stripes are bordered or guarded by a fine stripe or a different texture, neither of which tends to look very nice.

It's quite a British look (in my opinion, at least), so you may have some luck with some of the British shirtmakers like H&K or H&H, although I'm not sure how well they'll fit you.

Edited to add: As I suspected, Harvie & Hudson have such a fabric in both their slim- and regular-fit ranges, but only with double cuffs. They make nice, machine made shirts but the fit is quite generous.

I love striped shirts (second to checks) and this post reminded me I have a list of requirements not really based on anything but a gut feel but which I now attempt to quantify...!

I like stripes; almost always normally blue and white.
I don't like the stripes where one stripe is needle thin and the other blocky - certainly fine or in a different texture like JM says.

I dislike the thin stripes as looking too try hard or cheap, and I don't like the same effect on a suit either. It is indeed very English to like blocky striped shirts - I see the forum Film Noir
Blog has an article on what it is to be an Englishman and shirted...

I do have a TM lewin striped shirt where the overall effect is a bit satiny which is beautiful. Sadly it has a stain I can't remove...

I seem to like striped shirts where the stripes are of medium width and about the same width...!
Are there any SF theories or rules of thumb?

herringbonePete

Reaction score
I love striped shirts (second to checks) and this post reminded me I have a list of requirements not really based on anything but a gut feel but which I now attempt to quantify...!

I like stripes; almost always normally blue and white.
I don't like the stripes where one stripe is needle thin and the other blocky - certainly fine or in a different texture like JM says.

I dislike the thin stripes as looking too try hard or cheap, and I don't like the same effect on a suit either. It is indeed very English to like blocky striped shirts - I see the forum Film Noir
Blog has an article on what it is to be an Englishman and shirted...

I do have a TM lewin striped shirt where the overall effect is a bit satiny which is beautiful. Sadly it has a stain I can't remove...

I seem to like striped shirts where the stripes are of medium width and about the same width...!
Are there any SF theories or rules of thumb?

Should have googled..
It appears I am a fan of Bengal and Candy stripes.
I do have a shirt (Bengal?) where one stripe is half the width of the other.
Pedant alert!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's my fault by trying to ignore the problem and being too lazy to send them back. There's nothing I can do now. I am looking forward to upgrading my collection though.

foxy - I'm a bit boggled at your casual ability to spend $$ whenever you feel like it - still - good luck I guess.

On the other matter - the shoes can't be more than half a size to big or small - can they?

That should be easily enough fixed by stretching or insoles or padding etc.

Still if money is easy come easy go it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads