1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

"...And the Lord said unto the shepherd:

'piss off this is cattle country'

3. nickjersey

nickjersey Member

How are the following shoes for work. I've had them for years, but never needed them.
    [​IMG]

If they're a no go. What would people recommend for $150-200 max.

4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

If you don't need them why replace them?

You won't get decent shoes at that price range - you're in that no mans land of corrected grain and chipboard.

You're better to shoot for a pair of Loake 1880s from Herring Shoes or Meermins RTW range at $300.

If money is short, you're better to buy 2-3 pairs of relatively plain British-made shoes than 6+ 'look at moi' ones.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. nickjersey

nickjersey Member

I'm starting a job where a suit is required. Therefore need black shoes.

6. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Ah.

They'd work, but a decent pair of black cap oxfords and brown brogues* would work much better.

*To all those SFers out there I know this isn't their technical term but it may as well be as far as the general public is concerned.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Ha a truckload of spam on SF all about Australian rugby on TV or something

8. boff

boff Senior member

I'm a 9.5D UK or 10.5C US and the Loake 1880 Savoy's I bought are too wide, but OK to wear with an insert. They are on the Mayfair last.

9. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Figured that would be the case. I'm still amazed that Italian costs are (still) as low as they are. Back in the late ninetys or early naughties, I was talking to a sales rep from Balcombe Flanges (based in Melbourne) and (whilst totally unrelated to anything remotely sartorial) he told me that their company could buy finished flanges drilled to whatever flange pattern (ANSI, Table D, E, F, etc) from Italy (made pretty much by cottage industry over there) cheaper than they could buy flange blanks (i.e. a round piece of metal) over here from local manufacturers.

Kind of scary when one thinks about it, especially when cheap manufacturing from China wasn't part of the equation back then as it is now.

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Both are brown brogues but only the lacing is different:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. boff

boff Senior member

The pedant in me needs to point out that Moleskin was dreamt up in 1997 whereas Leuchttrum1917 has been around since, er, 1917.

It amazes me how they managed to sucker in people to believe they are writing in the same make/model of notebook Hemingway used.

2 people like this.
  12. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

wow that looks good - how about a linen blend, something that's appropriate for a formal business environment for summer? anyone else here with experience in linen suits they'd like to share?

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

But when you say 'oxford' most people think these:

[​IMG]

And when you say 'bals' nobody knows what you're talking about.

And when you say 'opened and closed lacing' PoP, GF and FXH go into an enormous anthropological/shoelogical spiel until the nurses at the old folks home give them their meds.

So as brogues have brogue holes in them, its just easier to say 'brogues'.

14. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I'll have to ask my grandfather what it was like when he was in it. After my grandparents came to Australia with my Dad in 1956, and managed to get themselves on their feet, they owned a couple of textile factories during the 70s up until a few years prior to my birth in the early 90s.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Oli, you OK there? No local Motoring Enthusiasts Party policy analysis meeting on tonight?

Open lacing or closed lacing are simple, descriptive and accurate terms for types of lacing/vamps arrangement s. Why use other confusing and non consensual terms.

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

DLP or GTFO.

I don't see an open/closed lace differentiation as relevant - open lacing can be just as elegant as closed (e.g. C&J Brunswick) and some people simply can't wear closed laces comfortably.

The difference for most will be the colour and upper design (i.e. brogueing) which can go from a suit to khakis in formality.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The post modernist in me was more impressed by the fact that Bruce Chatwin used them the original product.

Two sized journals I use are practical for my specific needs.

18. Geoffrey Firmin

"Sport is the opiate of the masses" Karl Marx

19. boff

boff Senior member

Score another for the Moleskin marketing team. Chatwin died almost ten years before they launched a notebook named after the nickname Chatwin gave to one if his notebooks. Appropriate I think, given Chatwin's liberal passing off of fiction as fact.

Not withstanding, Chatwin's books are ace and Moleskin make a nice notebook.

1 person likes this.
  20. Geoffrey Firmin

Really? And what are your academic qualifications?

The point is Moleskine make a 'nice' notebook, its practical and the Chinese ones I used in the 90's disappeared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.