1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I have one of these for nearly 2 years now. Not great, but good enough, and super quick for morning rush.

There is a youtube video on how to reuse the capsules with your own coffee. Basically you just remove the covering plastic from the plastic container, remove the used coffee, scoop your own in, then cover the whole thing with gladwrap, and bob's your uncle. I am not sure about how safe gladwrap is with pressurised boiling water. I would think that using aluminum foils would be much better alternative. Give it a go.

BTW: if wastage bugs you, as it does to me, with the used capsules, I just cut open the tops and scoop out the coffee. The coffee is then used as garden fertiliser, and the empty capsules are sent to the recycle bin.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. neyus

neyus Senior member

Nice photos JM. Beautiful ties and Shirts and suits by the way.

3. andrewjamesdean

andrewjamesdean Senior member

Thanks mate - I have no need for the coffee machine to be portable. What sort of lever espresso machine do you have? Or any other recommendations for an espresso machine at around the $1k mark?

I'd say I have been seduced by the Little Guy's incredibly good looks.

4. Arch3r

Arch3r Senior member

I'm in the same boat, less than one event a year. I expect this will grow as my partners career progresses, she wants to get involved in charity events etc.

I think once I get to a point where I have a healthy rotation of MTM/Bespoke only suits and SC's I'll look at getting a dinner suit made. There was a kick ass PJ Dinner suit on their tumblr early on that I just love... One day :D

I love this, it's a shame life isn't like this. Well at least not for us plebs.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I have one of the Woolies capsule machines. Not bad, particularly for the el-cheapo price my wife got it for. Great for the morning rush, I quite agree.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

PoP deets on the trousers?
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Ptth he is an amateur. He didn't even do a hand stand.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

After living with stove top pots for over 25 years we got a Sunbeam Expresso machine, it was on sale at $200 ATT which produced a surprisingly good cup of coffee lasted about 8 years then went West.Currently we have a Breville 800 something or other which is 5 years old and does a great job there is always the expert baristas at http://coffeesnobs.com.au for advice.

9. JayH

JayH Senior member

I have the Elektra microcasa a leva.

For around 1k i would look at the La Pavoni if you are looking for a lever machine. Otherwise Rancilio Silvia would be the go to machine IMO.
    For any italian machine i would look at buying online from Italy. Just get a 220-240v model with an adapter, way cheaper than buying in Australia.

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks fxh. This picture is actually from my favourite news story of the week - http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/first-sam...stralia-under-british-law-20140627-zso9d.html

These chaps are almost spot on in their Scottish wedding attire (no need for a belt if you have the waistcoat). Wore pretty much this for my own wedding (minus the belt and with a nice kilt pin) - 2 years ago this Sunday. Jesus, time goes fast the older you get (probably seems like a week for you fxh...hahaha).

1 person likes this.
  11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Savile Row tux formerly owned by a billionaire available if you're a 44L. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Agree on the La Pavoni and the Silvia.

One slight problem with buying an Italian machine and shipping it is that often they need to be set up, as often they infuse at too high or low a temperature (ideal is 91 degrees) and there are small internal hacks for such issues which are often performed by the local distributor as part of the overall service.

Warranty might also be an issue in some cases.

Having said that, I bought my Expobar Office Leva in China (despite this, it's a real one) for about 50% of the retail price in Oz. Took it back in my checked luggage, which of course raised some eyebrows when they put it throught the X-Ray scanner...

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I often think, if there was one suit I'd want to get RTW it would be a tux. That way it would fit for a while as I got older and fatter :)

14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Good bespoke makers account for quite a bit of movement up or down in weight so that the suit can be adjusted.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Surely your local branch of the Motoring Enthusiasts Party, (aren't you the policy advisor or strategist or minute taker?) have an annual black tie ball? Or you could join the local Masons and wear one every week!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Great picture of Deerstyle and HC goods JM.

--

Just purchased a new jacket and didn't even notice it had elbow patches, not really a fan although not a deal breaker as they are not noticeable, just wondering did someone mention last week that if they've been added for fashion purposes they can usually be removed?

17. fxh

fxh Senior member

In nearly all cases elbow patches will be sewn on after the jacket is made. (in fact I'm not sure if it would be possible to do it any other way)
    Just (carefully) unpick the stitches.

1 person likes this.
  18. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

yes from a production point of view I guess that would be the easiest way when you think about it. Good news thank you for confirming.

19. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm assuming you know how to unpick stitches? If not get an unpicker tool and I'm sure there will be videos on the net. (or approach a female or male who can sew properly and ask advice - could be a good pick up line - wink.) Essentially just be sure you are only cutting stitches not cloth. And don't cut with scissors. If for some strange reason it is all weird underneath you'll need to save patches to reattach.

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

With a pair of scissors, do you think I could cut it down to a 36R without compromising on the look?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.