• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, All,

I'm in Sydney for the next few days. Have you got any advice for where to go for raw denim? Or anything in general for casual wear? I will be in Surry Hills with family. Thanks!

Best,
Andrew

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, All,

I'm in Sydney for the next few days. Have you got any advice for where to go for raw denim? Or anything in general for casual wear? I will be in Surry Hills with family. Thanks!

Best,
Andrew

There is a guide called Slices of Sydney it lists the 'groovier' stores and their locations. Being in Surry Hills you could try Crown St or wander up to Oxford St Paddington which has Incu who have a range of denim.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are very different looking shoes with similar qualities, which one do you like?

I got a comparison in the black cap toe oxford thread, link is in my signature.

Yeah I use to think the AE was good but now I prefer the Loake. Eitherway you may want to consider looking into the AE now with their rediscover america sale. If it turns out you like them you could always hit up their outlets in the state for cheaper ones to build up a range.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paddington (East), Wollstonecraft (North), Annandale (West) and Surry HIlls (south) is the general 'ring' you want in on if you want to be within striking distance of the conservative business dress.

Paddington transport = buses. Peaceful, good (trendy) retail, but a little bit expensive.
Wollstonecraft transport = train station. Quiet suburban area; close to Crows Nest shopping area.
Annandale transport = buses. Semi suburban. Aircraft noise, and Parramatta road is horrendous. Don't bother going out West unless you really want to.
Surry Hills = walking distance. Not that quiet, but a really nice area nonetheless. Lots of bars and eateries.

Thanks kayhill.

Have been to Sydney plenty of times but usually stay in the conservative business dress so good to get some info.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, All,

Best,
Andrew

SYDNEY

Corlection - http://www.corlection.com/
They carry a nice range: Momotaro, Japan Blue, Strike Gold, PBJ, Levis, Kawatako, Red Wings

Halfsleeve - http://halfsleeve.net/
Imperial

Incu - http://www.incuclothing.com/content/home/
APCs.

Harrolds - http://harrolds.com.au/
Naked and Famous

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my, humble, opinion if you're going to work in the 'conservative business dress' area of the ' Sydney conservative business dress' the only sane way to get to work is to catch the ferry. So live in a suburb where you have a 2 minute walk to the ferry, and you'll literally save yourself developing numerous wrinkles over your working career.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that television companies were whinging about Australia's enormous illegal downloading numbers, but even in mainstream media the problem is recognized as resting on greedy supply companies who bottleneck media.

As you lot know, this problem isn't constrained to television. Can anyone foresee a situation in the future where this will change?

Last edited:

boff

Reaction score

Need a black cap-toe oxford for an internship at the start of next year. I'm a size 7 in Loake. Should I order a pair of Loake 1880 Aldwych delivered from Herring or get a pair of AE Park Avenues from the US when I go there for Christmas?

If you aren't a standard fitting, I think AE are hard to beat at that price point. Pretty much all their shoes come in a variety of widths. However if you are blessed with a US D or a UK E then, as others have said, whichever takes your fancy.

boff

Reaction score

I noticed that television companies were whinging about Australia's enormous illegal downloading numbers, but even in mainstream media the problem is recognized as resting on greedy supply companies who bottleneck media.

As you lot know, this problem isn't constrained to television. Can anyone foresee a situation in the future where this will change?

Yes, when both the various copyright owners and consumers are made an offer they can't refuse. Assuming you are mainly talking about TV and film, look at what's happened with music. Prior to iTunes it was regarded as an intractable problem with the major labels bickering and complaining but presenting no solution.

This article tells the story well. http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/29/the-itunes-influence-part-one/

I'm not saying that music piracy is a thing of the past, but it seems to me that by and large we have moved on.

We need an iTunes style solution for film and TV. And I don't think that the existing iTunes film and TV offering is there yet.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doubt it people are enticed to buy the biggest HD TV with cinema sound and then find that they have to wait months for DVD release, this is the case with cable mind you HBO is in real time, BBC has sold out to Murdoch and now cable gets the pick of their first run productions. The companies create the desire then don't satisfy consumer desire so what are people going to do?

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Hi, All,

Best,
Andrew

Get in touch with member Romp on this thread and see if he can hook you up with some 3sixteens (still the best mid-range raw option IMO).

acinod

Reaction score

They are very different looking shoes with similar qualities, which one do you like?

I got a comparison in the black cap toe oxford thread, link is in my signature.

Great I had a look and think I'll go with the Loake. Now to decide whether to go with Pediwear and get free shoe trees or buy from Herring and get shoe trees from elsewhere (Double Monks?)

Anyone had experience and can comment?

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3sixteens. Wearing them now. Super nice. Checkout blue Owl if Romp can't help you.

lennier

Reaction score
For Melbourne members the Wear for Success Expert Network has a partnership running with Brooks Restaurant this month that lets you eat at a newly-hatted restaurant, help the WFS charity as you do so, and have a chance to win a great prize. You don't need to be a WFSEN member to be involved (but go on, you know you want to be! :) ) but you do to be eligible to win the prize. Details in the attached invite. Hope to see some of you there over October!
[ATTACHMENT=7480]Brookes Restaurant - It Suits You Sir.pdf (196k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads