1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

I'm liking Rage right about now.

Saints and Cosmic Psychos in the first ten minutes! I really should watch this more often if that's the calibre.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I disagree.

Australia has a smorgasbord of good suit brands - herringbone, mj bale, and if you have the money, p johnson, suit shop, oscar hunt and deerstyle.

The value of Jason's ties compares with Drakes and Sam Hober, only you're paying half the price.

The only things we suck at IMO are shoes. We have higher end stuff like C&J and Lobb available at Double Monk, but for now they're only in Melbourne, don't have a great online store (ie you will have to call them) and don't have more affordable brands that would put them in the range of most posters like Loake or Meermin.

Casual wear blows as well as Uniqlo still sucks the dick.

3. Testo

Testo Active Member

The people i talked to all said that you can get the same or better quality from overseas for less? Not sure about suits as i imagine that would require some measuring unless its off the rack stuff.

Also arent the C&J and Lobbs way more expensive than what you would get from overseas? Im looking at shoes now and apparently loakes here are $350+, never go on sale and the same models go on sale on UK sites for $200-250.

Also im amazed that the standard retail pricing for shirts seems to be around $100 (button down shirts).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  4. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I would argue that Australian suits are some of the best in the world - you'd be hard pressed to get a 100-120 weave Australian Merino Wool suit with soft shoulders, half canvas and bemberg lining for $500 like at MJ Bale or some of the M2M stuff Suit Shop does for $1K.

C&J and Lobbs from Double Monk sit around the same price they do overseas. You're right about Loake though.

MJ Bale, TM Lewin and CT all do full cotton shirts for around the $50 mark. After that you can shoot for Suit Shop's M2M stuff in the $150 mark.

5. Testo

Testo Active Member

Hows the affordable market look like though? IIRC stuff like Connors has shirts that are little better than k-mart quality and their RRP is about $50 or more. I think they wanted $100+ for a 20% wool peacoat last year when i checked.

Looking at MJ bale now and their casual shirts are $150 o_O. Their blue label is 3 business shirts for $150....whats the quality like though? Ive had full cotton shirts before that got wrinkled really easily, apparently because its low quality cotton.

IIRC arent there sites that do made to measure for about $50 per shirt? Just found one with a quick search : http://www.moderntailor.com/. Never tried any of these before so i have no idea what kind of quality they are...

6. joiji

joiji Senior member

7. Testo

Testo Active Member

Hmm...well i usually wear button down shirts, but im going to need office wear after i graduate.

Is made to measure that much better than off the rack? Do you think an alteration shop would be able to help me get my measurements for that?

Im looking for dress shoes now specifically, any suggestions for sites i should keep an eye on for specials? I know of herrings/pediwear, and theres a pair of barkers on herring that im waiting for them to restock. Its about $200 with full grain leather/goodyear welted sole.

P.S. Just saw this : http://www.mjbale.com/on-sale/mens-coats/pendarra-navy-coat

Whats up with this? It looks like a cotton/synthetic coat for $400? I thought the good coats have high % of wool?

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

There's nothing wrong with button down shirts, chinos and grey trousers for office wear.

If it's suits you're after though the general recommendation for starting out is:
    - a navy suit w/ extra pair of trousers
    - a grey suit w/ extra pair of trousers
    - several white or pale blue shirts
    - 2-3 ties (a solid navy and solid black is a good place to start)
    - a pair of black cap oxfords
    - a pair of brown brogues

MJ Bale usually do 2 x $1K sales for suits and their shirts are decent quality. Most people like Loake for shoes and Henry Carter for ties ( ties can be had at TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt if money is tight, but they're not as nice).

There's good M2M and bad M2M, just as there's good OTR and bad OTR.

A good M2M suit is better than a good OTR suit, especially if you have odd measurements - eg you're >6'4+, <5'0, a pro wrestler or very, very fat.

That said, if money is tight and you have an average build OTR can be a good way to go.

Herring and Pediwear are both good stores. The Herring classic and Loake 1880 range are regarded as great value shoes by most of this forum.

It's an overcoat. My understanding is that a small amount of synthetic will be used to make it waterproof (I could be wrong. Perhaps FXH or PoP could shed further light).

1 person likes this.
  9. joiji

joiji Senior member

10. Testo

Testo Active Member

Thanks for the help.

By button down shirts you mean business shirts right? I was referring mostly to casual shirts like this : http://www.theiconic.com.au/Telford-Shirt-135247.html. Although for office work i have usually worn shirts like these : http://www.theiconic.com.au/LS-Oxford-Shirt-153339.html paired with black pants and black shoes. Not sure how to mix up office wear with colors without getting too casual...

Is it possible to get brown shoes to work with office and formal wear?

This is the shoe i was planning to get btw : http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=2&shoeid=5124

With shipping it should come up to under $200 AUD. The Herring classic/Loake 1880s seem to be about $300 AUD RRP...is there a large difference in quality? That price is way out of my range at the moment.

Don't like the look of cap toes though, the cap toe just looks weird to me. I would prefer a plain or wingtip.

I'm pretty tall and skinny...but i usually wear M sized shirts (slim fit if possible).

For the coat i thought cotton is reserved for cheap coats? Since wool is much warmer.

11. JayH

JayH Senior member

^The black oxford brogue is a bit of a contradiction IMO.

If you were going to get a pair of shoes to start out, i would got either black cap top oxford or brown brogue oxford. you can play on variations between a punched captoe for a bit more formality or a full brogue for more versatility i.e casual and formal wear.

Brown shoes are fine for most professions.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Probably mostly correct. Melbourne has the best range in price and choice of most stuff. Shoes in particular. a few stores sell Loakes etc I even found a place that quietly stocks fair range of Cheaney shoes. If you can find a Florsheim store that has the full range - they have some shoes that are more than acceptable.At the casual end Mountfords often has decent desert boots and chukkas etc if you keep an eye out.

Uniglo isn't bad for somethings, -good affordable cardies and jumpers if you like that sort of thing, ok shirts, I did a quick run through of H&M with a woman who was shopping a while back and whilst I'd like a proper look without crowds I saw more than a few things that looked ok and were very cheap. A couple of Military style casual jackets for instance and a pair of, believe it or not, David Beckham cotton/linen house pants things . There was other stuff. Even Muji had a slack unstructured sport coat for around $140 that was more than ok for the right purposes. And not too bad duffle coats at a good price.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Testo - where you living?

Also I would not stress out about clothes until you actually have a job. One decent outfit for interviews etc is enough.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Uniglo has tons of that sort stuff - looked ok to me

In an ideal world a dark brown business brogue semi or even full brogue if its a business style and not clompy country style is great as a first and ONE SHOE - versatile.

That BARKER brogue is more than fine. And a good price. I'd be careful though ordering shoes online isn't a good thing to do until you really know what you are doing. Better to pay a bit more and get the fitting right.

I wouldn't stress though at all. There are black shoes at RIVERS for around $30 that are more than acceptable for interviews. If you only wear them occasionally for interviews and etc and don't run around in them all day or play kick to kick they will look better than most peoples shoes. I would in fact stay away from too much forum stuff initially. You can get pretty much the same look much cheaper and without risk.

If you are tall and skinny with big feet then a captoe will make your feet look a bit smaller.

Wool and cotton and linen all have their place depending on circumstances. In Australia wool can be too hot and heavy for some outwear. It all depends.

15. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I'm in the same boat. I start work Tuesday. I have enough shoes but what I lack is shirts and especially pants. I can rotate through my white and ice blue Kamakura OCBDs and my GBV navy gingham. I'll beat my acne grey trousers till they wear out. In the meantime I have my black and grey trousers on the way from Oscar Hunt. I'll grab some olive and light khaki trousers in couple of weeks, then pick up my shirting game from them.

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

You finished uni foxy?

17. Testo

Testo Active Member

Thanks, i ive in sydney, kensington.

Was mainly getting the shoe as i have a business shirt, pants and tie which should be enough for interviews, etc for now. But i dont have any formal shoes, so i was planning to get a $100 pair of rockports which supposedly has full grain leather uppers. But when i started asking around for opinions a lot of people started telling me it was junk that would fall apart in a year and i should get a goodyear welted sole and i eventually found the barkers. I figure if i can get full grain/goodyear welted for $200 its worth upgrading for it.

Does uniqlo have a online store? I doubt they would have a store near me...also isnt H&M an american only chain, or did they open here recently?

The only thing im not sure about buying shoes online is the width, i recently ordered a pair of julius marlows which turned out to be far too pointy for my tastes so im planning to return it. No width specified, but the size fits just fine. The barkers is a wide width though...how big of a difference is it between a wide width and a normal width?

Tan brogues look great but i was thinking that it would look too bright for the office and clash badly with black pants...is it just dark brown only, or is tan okay?

18. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Was very tempted; but Gergiev's position on Ukraine made me reconsider.

19. Liber

Liber Senior member

I still have a pair of brand new OG GATS in size 11US/ 290mm, fit moreso between a 10.5-11US. Letting them go cheap if anyone is interested!

20. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Sorry for the spam, but would anyone be interested in a pair of dark brown Hermes suede loafers? No size marked, but my guess is they are at least a UK11.5 wide. I’m a 10.5E and I can easily fit my finger down the back of the shoe when I try them on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.